Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Use that Stash!  Fabric Moratorium >

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 PM

I'm in...I did pretty well last year until I found out I was going to have a GD, I had not girlie fabric..now I do...I also have been cleaning out closets and using old dresses, shirts, skirts and cutting them up - postage stamp and small tumblers.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 PM

My New Year's Resolutions is not to buy anymore fabric or kit till
I finish some of want I have! Buy only stuff to finish projects
Old 12-30-2012, 03:12 PM

DH gave me a gift certificate to my favorite LQS --I did buy some fabric on sale (Laurel Burch, my weakness) but I still have $$$ to spend. Will try to use it for supplies, rulers or backing. Hope I can be real good,
Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt-T View Post
The shipping elves are going to crush my chances at this before I even begin! I ordered some Moda Marbles fabric (1/2yd pieces) to check against a cream scrap I had left from making the soldier's quilt and it hasn't arrived. I ordered it more than 2 weeks ago thinking it would arrive in time for me to match it and make my last order before the 1 January cutoff for shopping. But as of yesterday it still hadn't arrived!! Aaarrrgggg!!! I am so mad about that because I wanted to start the moratorium off right and make my DS's quilt next month. I am so irritated at thinking I will likely not be able to order this fabric before we start the moratorium and thereby not be able to make my son's quilt. I hate to disappoint him since he picked out the fabrics ( not many 16 y/o boys are into that) or fail myself on trying to not shop. What to do?
This isn't my thread, but I have to say that I think disappointing a family member isn't the intent here. If I were you, I would order exactly the amount of fabric that you intended to purchase in 2012 for just that quilt. No adding on extra just because you're placing an order. That really doesn't come under the heading of increasing your stash because the mail didn't come.

For the rest of us thinking that we can buy yet tomorrow kind of defeats the purpose of the moratorium. That being said, I will be buying a backing if it matches and I can figure out exactly how much I need. No extra, even at $4 a yard for $10 fabric!

Personally, I'm looking forward to the moratorium. I did manage to resist Hoffman batiks at a great price online yesterday.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:29 PM

I've only been quilting for 9 months. Last March I did not have any fabric in the house except for five or six of lengths for specific garments. Now I am bursting at the seams with quilting fabric. All purchased on sale but not for a particular project in mind. So I'm joining this group with the caveat that I will use primarily stash fabric for each quilt but will purchase what I need to fill in. But only what I need for a particular project, not just to build up my stash. Which has built up beyond what any reasonable amount should be in nine months!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:34 PM

I am doing the 2013 Fabric Moratorium, and will report any deviations. I just bought 16 yards of fabric for backing quilts in 2013, and I am going to try to not buy any more fabric. I am going to make the effort to organize my stash in a better manner, too many bins in too many areas. I do have all my civil war in 2 bins (well most of them). The task seems daunting.
Happy New Year to you all!
May all your UFO's be finished, may spider webs cover your seam rippers (no sewing errors), may all your quilt gift recipients be happy and may the sound of your sewing machine fill the air!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:37 PM
QM
Power Poster

I have a huge stash and am glad of it, since I live on a mountain a long way from most stores. For example, while snowed in this week, I made 3 cuddle quilts for foster kids using what I had on hand. I have 3 drawers of novelty fabrics for this use. I don't intend to use them up completely, but I am working at reducing the total amount. Having a stash has meant that I am generally able to produce quick gifts without going out. I love that. My guild has a plan that anyone who dies wthout a quilty heir gives all the fabric to the guild to sell, so I don't worry about having any "left over".

I just bought 15 yds of fleece to back quilts for foster kids, but that was not MY money. My doctor regularly gives me money for that purpose. I didn't ask him. He just decided to do this (again!!!).

Last edited by QM; 12-30-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 PM

I wanted to start the moratorium off right and make my DS's quilt next month. I am so irritated at thinking I will likely not be able to order this fabric before we start the moratorium and thereby not be able to make my son's quilt. I hate to disappoint him since he picked out the fabrics ( not many 16 y/o boys are into that) or fail myself on trying to not shop. What to do?
If it was me, I'd put my son before a self-imposed moratorium on shopping. Let's look at it this way....What would you like to do, make your son a quilt (which involves purchasing fabric after a certain date) or not purchase fabric? I've already amended my "moratorium", I will shop from my stash first and fill out what I need from my LQS. I'm ok with that even if it's not in keeping with most of the others.

If you are dead set on not buying fabric for a specific length of time, why not pick another date...say February 1, 2013 to February 1, 2014?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:50 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. I really don't think I would have let it go and not done my son's quilt. I was just really frustrated about it not getting here in time and wanting to keep to the moratorium. His quilt is my January project and I intend to do it! As I read back over the "rules" by the OP, it does state that we can buy for a special quilt, ie little Susie's wedding quilt". So I am good. I was just venting. I am definitely not trying to load my stash as it is starting to flow out into other rooms as it is-lol. It was also good to release my frustration as it let out the temptation to buy something else-yes, I am an emotional fabriholic!! Thanks again!
Tanya
Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. I really don't think I would have let it go and not done my son's quilt. I was just really frustrated about it not getting here in time and wanting to keep to the moratorium. His quilt is my January project and I intend to do it! As I read back over the "rules" by the OP, it does state that we can buy for a special quilt, ie little Susie's wedding quilt". So I am good. I was just venting. I am definitely not trying to load my stash as it is starting to flow out into other rooms as it is-lol. It was also good to release my frustration as it let out the temptation to buy something else-yes, I am an emotional fabriholic!! Thanks again!
Tanya
I started my moratorium last July after organizing my fabric stash. I have done extremely well with shopping my stash and not buying just because. I even went to a national quilt show and had to be told to buy a fat quarter bundle by my other half because I had been good. My favorite LQS is having a huge inventory reduction sale on Jan 1 & 2. Everything in the store is a minimum of 35% off. I am going and purchasing some basics as I have used up most of my solids. I have no guilt over this. I don't feel like I am not sticking to the moratorium, as I have to get them at some point and it might as well be while they are on sale!