Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Use that Stash!  Fabric Moratorium >

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Use that Stash! Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 AM
amh

I did something similar last year. I started off the year with: finish two UFO's before I could start something new. As part of my UFO's I did include a boy quilt for my great nephew, and while I was doing it used up a huge stash and made many boy baby quilts. As a result I finished many quilts, and FMQ many of the quilt tops that I had almost finished. Nine quilts finished, and additional 7 quilts finished and FMQ. I ended off the year with a brand new project which I started, and almost finished at a quilt retreat. I still don't have the borders on it, but if I can ever sit down at the sewing machine will get it done.

I did go out and purchase fabric if I needed it to finish a UFO, but it was always a small amount, and I found that in my stash I had enough for most of the backing's as well. I purchased what I needed because I did not want to put something on as a backing that I didn't think suited the quilt.

It's interesting how we all fight hoarding fabric, and how we all have different ways of trying to cope with it.

I am, by the way, continuing on with my "use up the stash" and "finish the projects" again this year. I'm going to try to get some more quilts actually quilted when I have a break at Christmas time.

amh
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I'm with you... I just bought 25yds of bleached muslin (for about $35) to use as the bridal runner in the church. BUT after it's all over I have plenty of fabric for backing projects :-) and it beats throwing out a $30 roll of paper
Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 AM

I'll join in. I have plenty of fabric for a long time to come with what I already had plus the 200 + yards I got at a garage sale last month.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 AM

A couple of things that I have found that help me "quilt from my stash":
I sort out my large pieces, the ones big enough to use as backgrounds or backings, into their own bin. I let project leftovers pile up for 3-4 projects then put them away...this makes me go through my fabric bins on a regular basis. ALWAYS check your stash before you run to buy new fabric. I buy batting and thread in bulk when on sale so I can avoid a lot of impulse buying. Trying to stick to this has really cut down my fabric buying although I find I need blenders more than anything. Don't worry, after a few months it gets easier...lol
Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 AM

I NEED to join this. My DH definitely agrees , so count me in.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM

I would love to do this, but I am such a fabriholic I don't know if I can control myself. We have a wonderful little quilt shop on he little island I live on in Alaska and I justify my addiction y telling myself-"we need to shop with her so she can keep her shop opened" I guess I don't have to do it all by myself though!!! Hee hee. One of my best friends wors there 2 days a week and she feeds my addiction, I think sh calls me at least 2 times a week to tell me what is new. She is a gem though, we do some of our projects together so we kind of share in some of the expenses. I will try, maybe we need to start an addiction group for fabric, kind of like AA except for fabric. We could each have a sponsor that we could call when the urge just gets to great to handle alone!! Hee Hee Im just being silly now, but somtimes I feel like I need someone that will keep my feet on the ground!! Good luck everyone!!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Phyl View Post
I do ALMOST agree. What happens to the economy of the fabric stores? We are so sad when one closes but we have to support them if we want them to stay in business. How about using your stash for more donation quilts/pillow cases/ place mat gifts, since we all have so much? People who have so much can afford to give to charities and support small stores as well. You don't have to go overboard but help to keep our LQSs in business. This isn't said with any sarcasm. It is said trying to be generous and supportive. Thanks for listening.
I agree with you. If we all got together with the country's quilters and all decided to quit buying, the LQS would probably not stay open until summer! Is THAT what you're trying to accomplish? When we finally run out of fabrics and decide to go back to buying, there won't be anything left! So, sorry, not on board. But I WILL commit to making more charity quilts, so i can rotate the goods here!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 AM

I would love to do this, but I am such a fabriholic I don't know if I can control myself. We have a wonderful little quilt shop on he little island I live on in Alaska and I justify my addiction y telling myself-"we need to shop with her so she can keep her shop opened" I guess I don't have to do it all by myself though!!! Hee hee. One of my best friends works there 2 days a week and she feeds my addiction, I think she calls me at least 2 times a week to tell me what is new. She is a gem though, we do some of our projects together so we kind of share in some of the expenses. I will try, maybe we need to start an addiction group for fabric, kind of like AA except for fabric. We could each have a sponsor that we could call when the urge just gets to great to handle alone!! Hee Hee Im just being silly now, but somtimes I feel like I need someone that will keep my feet on the ground!! Good luck everyone!!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
I agree with you. If we all got together with the country's quilters and all decided to quit buying, the LQS would probably not stay open until summer! Is THAT what you're trying to accomplish? When we finally run out of fabrics and decide to go back to buying, there won't be anything left! So, sorry, not on board. But I WILL commit to making more charity quilts, so i can rotate the goods here!
We aren't the only ones buying fabric - the LQSs have other customers. This thread was started to help some of us control our overbuying. If you don't care to join, it's okay.

I had to go to my stash and pull a 20 year old fabric to get the right color. Teal is out of fashion, it seems. It felt good to use a little of the stockpiles.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:24 PM

Will try to join in. Spent Sunday afternoon organising stash, finding suitable pieces to give to a friend for a quilt for a relative who's ill-result stash appears as big as ever.