Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Used sewing machine - a good deal? >

Used sewing machine - a good deal?

Used sewing machine - a good deal?

Old 07-20-2011, 03:58 PM

Last night I found a CL posting for Pfaff Expression 2.0, never used for $500. After reading reviews and such, I was ready to pounce on that one and was soooooooo disappointed to find out it was already sold. But, it did get me to thinking about the wisdom, or lack thereof, of purchasing a previously owned machine, whether it was ever used or not. The warranty is only good for the original purchaser, right? I want to keep looking out for such a deal, but it is really a good idea? What is the likelihood of needing costly repairs? Just wondering ... just in case.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 PM

You can get good deals on used machines. Most warranties are only good for a few years on major parts, and don't cover normal wear and tear, mostly are for manufacture defects. Your best bet would be to get a used machine through a dealer they usually offer better warranties on their used machines
Old 07-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

any computerized machine (which is most of the new ones it seems) can be very costly to service-i about choked when my warranty was up and mine had to go in for what i considered minor issues---$380 later i'm thinking- why didn't i just stick with that $89 brother without the bells & whistles- the most it ever cost me was $30 for a cleaning/tune up---
oh well- i love my (good machine) but i wouldn't buy it again used- i definitly want my warranty and i also want the user classes that come with it- if you spend all that money then never learn to use half of the functions ...
because you just don't know how-
my viking included 3 full day owner classes- and they even let my nephew take the classes with me- gave him a brand new machine to (stitch out- what they called it)
it was great- and we went home confident we could use it for embroidery- sewing-quilting- worth every penny i paid for the machine
Old 07-20-2011, 04:17 PM

Correct, warranties don't transfer. But, if you buy from a dealer, they'll sometimes offer store warranties.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:46 PM

I bought my 2 Brothers as refurbished from a dealer. All the original warranty applied. I figured if they were reburbished, it means all the kinks are worked out of them!! LOVE them, BTW!!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:48 PM

I think it would be nice to know the reason why the machine was being sold. If it sounds too good to be true, then....well you know the rest!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Carron
I think it would be nice to know the reason why the machine was being sold. If it sounds too good to be true, then....well you know the rest!
Kind of irrelevant I guess, but she said her husband purchased it for her because she wanted to learn to quilt, but never did. I guess I understand because I almost sold my machine when I hadn't removed it from the box for 9 months due to other issues in life demanding my time and attention. Sometimes life does manage to change our best laid plans. Obviously it wasn't meant for me to get this particular machine, but I am considering upgrading and I want to make a good choice.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
Originally Posted by Carron
Kind of irrelevant I guess, but she said her husband purchased it for her because she wanted to learn to quilt, but never did. I guess I understand because I almost sold my machine when I hadn't removed it from the box for 9 months due to other issues in life demanding my time and attention. Sometimes life does manage to change our best laid plans. Obviously it wasn't meant for me to get this particular machine, but I am considering upgrading and I want to make a good choice.
The hard part with getting a new machine is you do not know what you do not know...so hard to ask those questions. If you buy used from a 2nd or 3rd party you will have to find somewhere that will service it. It is just the laws of nature, what ever can go wrong will, and since you do not know what to ask unless you have used the machine for a time. I guess I feel I need to purchase from a place that will be able to give me good service as I can not or do not want to be without my machine. I don't sew for a living but I sew to live.. hehehhehee.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

If you buy a used machine from a dealer, they usually include a warranty and lessons. I have purchased several used machines this way.