Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using a Double(Twin) Needle >

Using a Double(Twin) Needle

Using a Double(Twin) Needle

Old 01-09-2012, 01:25 PM

Default Using a Double(Twin) Needle

My machine came with a Double(Twin) Needle and I was wondering if anyone has used one for quilting or such? Any comments?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:40 PM

not for quilting, but the ONLY way to hem knits...they look professional... then there are tucks...tighten bobbin tension, put crochet cotton under the fabric (there is probably a cording foot for this) and sew double seam over the cord......filled tucks make great details.... then embroidery....make several rows of gathering stitches, pull up evenly...then use double needle with same color or different color threads...stitch straight over the gathers...machine shirring (for detail on yokes, cuffs, baby clothes)... now one last possibilty... you can do 2 color or 2 row scallops or simple design stitches BUT YOU MUST TEST, FIRST.... put double needle in, set design stitch, then use hand wheel to move the needle one ENTIRE design from start to finish... you must find out if the design is too wide for the needle... it will hit one side or the other, if this is so... either set the design to be narrower (this can be done on most machines, the preset numbers are just the optimum) or try a simpler design...
Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

To use, thread the machine with two spools, treating them as if they were one thread until you get to the needle, at which point you obviously thread one needle with one thread and the other needle with the other thread. When you sew, there will be 2 parallel lines on top and a zigzag on the bottom. That's why you would not normally use this for quilting. deemail listed some good uses for it.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

check your machine manual for using your twin needle- i use mine for quilting---i use it for stained glass applique- the twin needle is perfect for stitching down both sides of the black bias tape-instead of using a zigzag. i love my twin needle
Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

It can sure make some pretty designs if you're using your fancy stitches!
As mentioned ... try it out first, to be sure you like the results ..... and absolutey, HAVE FUN!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Love to see pics!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:39 PM

I would love to see some pics of work done too. This is something I have not used much, but when I did I liked it, I probably should try it again! I like the filled tuck idea too.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:01 PM

Yes it is great for hemming knits or decorative stitching
Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 PM

oooh love the double stitching on tapes...
Old 01-10-2012, 04:17 AM

I wouldn't reccomend the twin needle for quilting as the top would have the two lines of stitching, but the back would have the zigzag type look. Also not sure how that would hold up on a quilt. I do use the double needles for pintucks and decorative top stitching on some pieced blocks and what I call fqaux trapunto (I will put a layer of warm and natural under a block and stitch with the double needle before putting the top together and then quilting regularly.)