Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using doubleknits >

using doubleknits

using doubleknits

Old 07-16-2013, 06:40 PM

I haven't made any yet but it is my thought to make some lap quilts out of polyester knits, assorted squares or little biscuits, and back with flannel or fleece so the would be less likely to slide for folks in nursing homes esp. in wheel chairs. I figured polyester would hold in a lot of heat and so many elderly people I know seem to feel cold a lot.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:14 PM

My neighbor makes beautiful quilts for all her family. When she makes them for DGC going to college, they are made with double knits to withstand coin laundries!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 PM

Years ago some friends and I made them for a local nursing homes. The laundry loved them because they were so sturdy. I wonder if any are still in use???? I think they were flannel backed.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 PM

I have never made one, but when I first started doing longarm quilting, I was given a Trip Around the World quilt to do and I was super surprised how it turned out. It was polyester top and a brand new sheet for the back. I am sure the quilt shop owner gave it to me to do because no one else would take it on. I put out some freezer paper and took my Sharpie and drew a meandering design on it to follow like a pantograph. That way, I was able to just quilt and not worry about where the seams in the quilt were. The quilt shop owner, and her customer, loved the job and I was soooo proud of myself for being brave enough (or stupid enough) to do this project.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:17 PM

Most of the ones I've seen done with double knits were fairly large squares of all different colors. And they were tied either at the corner intersections or in the center of the squares. Most did not have batting, only the matching squares of double knit on each side. I'm thinking the squares were about 8 or 9 inches.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I have never used any but I woulld think it would be just fine.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 AM

I've been given some dk tops to finish. I have finished a couple of them and they have been chosen by people--mostly older ladies. I happen to despise the stuff--I was too young to appreciate it but it was all around me when I was growing up (I'm 50). I know that it wears like iron, but i don't really even like touching it.

However, it does make a warm quilt. The seams don't press sharply though and there won't be any winning designs. But on sheer durability and weight, they'd win any contest, I'd think.

I've got two tops downstairs to finish. I will tie them and get them done as quickly as possible. If someone gives me dk fabric, however, I don't use it for making tops--I pass it on. I really don't like it, though I can appreciate it's qualities.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:04 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I have been lucky enough to find several polyester doubleknits at flea markets. The one that I finished, I tied it together. I used a lightweight batting and sheet for the back. Yesterday, I visited a friend at a nursing home. She had made a quilt using doubleknit and it is very sturdy and warm. So, I think I will continue to purchase any tops that I find! thanks for all the wisdom from the quilting friends!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:11 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]424543[/ATTACH]here is a photo of flea market find that will be tied later.
Attached Thumbnails flea-market-treature-may-2013-website.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 10:55 AM

I can answer Irishrose's question...."I wonder if any of them are still in use?"......I have one lap robe(or wheel chair quilt) that was my grandmother's. I was used many years in a nursing home and I still have it! Sorry; it is stored and I have no pic.