Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using fleece for a backing.

Blog Entries
    Help, I am making cover-ups for my daughter-in-laws for Christmas. They are 47" x 67" in size. I have the fronts completed and I'm thinking of skipping the batting and putting fleece on the back to finish them. I plan to machine quilt them. Has anyone ever used this technique and will it work?

Blog Entries
    Many here use fleece and love it!!! The stitches may not show up as much as on cotton, but unless that is a problem for you, go for it :D :D :D Check your bobbin area frequently, it may get linty quicker.

I have used fleece for two lap size quilts this Christmas. I love the way they feel. The stches do not show as well on the fleece but the blankets turn out so cuddly. I wouldnt try to do too intricate a pattern though....the fleece can be difficult to manipulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Yes, keep it simple and it should turn out great!
    Ditto

I am glad someone asked this question, I was going to ask it about my sons quilt as well I thought the fleece would be so nice and cozy! Here is another question what is a cover up?? Remember I am new, so new to all the trems hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by samroberts01
    I am glad someone asked this question, I was going to ask it about my sons quilt as well I thought the fleece would be so nice and cozy! Here is another question what is a cover up?? Remember I am new, so new to all the trems hehe.
    Cover Up = Lap Quilt

I used fleece on a few too and like others said, the stitching does not show on the back, it kind of 'sinks' into the fleece....wonderfully cozy though! Only thing I would add is that I always choose a quilt design that is not too close together when using fleece as a backing - it reduces its softness. Good luck and post pics!

I like flannel for backing, but have had problems with fleece. It keeps stretching on me when I try to quilt it.

If you will use your walking foot, it works fine. I "stick" my front and back together with basting spray. I like to make the fleece big enough I can turn it to the front and use the backing as the facing as well.

Is it better to use batting with the fleece or not?

How do you finish the edge? Do you bind it?

Margie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaykuilts
    Help, I am making cover-ups for my daughter-in-laws for Christmas. They are 47" x 67" in size. I have the fronts completed and I'm thinking of skipping the batting and putting fleece on the back to finish them. I plan to machine quilt them. Has anyone ever used this technique and will it work?
    two layers ...........what an idea :idea:

I made my daughter a photo quilt for her graduation from high school 10 years ago and she used it all years of college and shill uses it today and it has batting and a fleece backing. She likes the thickness of it and the warmth. It has held up well with washing as well. I think it is a personal preference as to which way to go but there are many options. I have heard that flannel shrinks considerably so use caution there.

I use fleece for backing on most of the kid quilts ...they request it ;actually so do the adults if its winter. This in my opinion, is the quilt to use turkey tracks or invisible tying on...seems to look the best on finished product :thumbup:

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    I've never tried to use fleece on a quilt. I don't have a lot of luck sewing with fleece anyway. Probably just me! What type of needles do you use in your machine? I've tried both sharp/universal and ball point needles and not much luck with either. I've mostly used my walking foot even when sewing garments but still not a whole lot of luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    If you use batting too, it would be a very very warm and heavy quilt...so you may want to take that into consideration :wink:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Margie
    How do you finish the edge? Do you bind it?

Margie
    You can bind it tradionally or wrap the fleece around to the front as the binding.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    If you use batting too, it would be a very very warm and heavy quilt...so you may want to take that into consideration :wink:
    Thanks amma, I live in FL so I don't want it too heavy.

I use either a universal or quilting--whichever happens to be in the machine.I wonder if your tension is off? Are you close to a dealer--maybe they could give you some tips. I've sewn probably a hundred yards or more without any problems. I made 24 robes a few Christmases ago, all out of fleece and have made 3 or 4 more since then. I'm sorry that something that should be easy isn't. I back almost all of my children quilts with fleece--I make a lot of them.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    Thanks Moreland, I just got my machine back from a servicing at the dealer but haven't tried sewing fleece since then. I will have to try those type of needles to see what happens.

Fleece backing sounds great for a quilt to snuggle under with the long Maine winter ahead.

This is great to know!! I've been wondering what to do with the fleece I've got!

I make comfort quilts (lap blanket size) with fleece backing and batting. If I don't use fleece, I use flannel. I want my quilts to be warm and to be used! I tie them, so there's no fancy stitching to mess with.

My ASG group uses fleece and flannel all the time for wheelchair lap robes and baby blankets. They're not as heavy and they don't slip off as easy.

I'm a newbie, but I have to tell you I've used fleece for the backs of all the birthday quilts I've made for my grandchildren this year. I've pieced the flannel fronts, used warm and white batting, 505 adhesive spray, and fleece for the back. I used my walking foot to quilt the layers together stitching a basic stitch in the ditch outline of the squares and rectangles in the quilt top. I've bound some with flannel binding, and others I've wrapped the fleece around to the front and machine stitched it down. Very easy, and all ten kids love theirs!
    I haven't figured out how to add pics yet, but the "Thomas" quilt top is to the left.

I use fleece and flannel on the back of children's quilts (and my daughter did on one adult quilt!) Make sure you wash and dry it at least twice before you use it. It will obviously shrink more than the cottons on the front. I bind it like I would any quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast