Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using an iPad for quilting >

Using an iPad for quilting

Using an iPad for quilting

Old 05-01-2013, 02:46 AM

Thumbs up Quiltography for iPad

Originally Posted by KR View Post
My wonderful husband gave me an iPad for Christmas....what a guy!! For those of you who have one, have you found any apps that would be helpful for quilters? Or a way to use it for your quilting projects?
I know it is an old post, but my girlfriend (A Quilter) and I (Computing Student) released Quiltography for the iPad yesterday if anyone is still looking or interested.

There is a popular UK blogger who got a first look and is pretty impressed (Even if I do say so myself )

https://twitter.com/LilysQuilts/stat...53790698074113

We are also open to suggestions to help make it the perfect quilting app.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 AM

Plus I save all my patterns to pdf and email them 2 myself so that I may look at them where ever/when ever I want!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:47 AM

There's also Quilt Wizard, it good.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:11 AM

I have iBook,but how to save PDFs on it? Love the iPad .....there's always more to learn.

Originally Posted by dirty1mom View Post
Go to the app store and get the iBook. You can save PDF files to it. Can also AirPrint for those patterns you want to print. Just make sure your printer can air print with wifi. The iBook app is free. I will be looking at the site app.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:43 AM

Several ppl asked about the iPad & what they are used for.I'm in my 4th yr with it ,using the iPad 4model now.There's not a day goes by that I'm not on line with it.The lap top has been sentenced to the closet.

Just being able to sit in my easy chair with feet up is SO comfy,compared to hunching over a computer. I have the 16 with Wi Fi.The Wi Fi comes bundled with cable TV.Works perfectly,as does the air printer that is in another room.

I can e mail our kids /Grkids about as fast as a phone call.I can watch all the cable tv shows on iPad...including networks etc.Find directions to most anyplace,hit print for a paper copy.Look up many,many recipes ,health info,any hobby info,local & out of state newspapers,Kindle books.Movie & TV listings,vacation info for anyplace in the world.It has beautiful pictures that just a click sends to anyone you want.I have calendar reminders,weather,clocks.Can watch sewing & many many more videos.

Can be done in many public places,on the porch or back deck,at family ....as most have Wi Fi.
Dr's offices,hospitals,colleges.....That is just the tip of the iceberg with what you can do on an iPad.
I think most ppl love theirs. Know I do.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 AM

I forgot that I already have a reader......More apps than a person can keep track of

[QUOTE=plainpat;Love the iPad .....there's always more to learn.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 PM

i finally bought myself the newest iPad for Christmas. Love it! It's much easier to travel with than my laptop. Since I only got the wi-fi version, I decided to get the 64 gb one. I like to watch movies while on an airplane, and this is perfect.

While at home, I am usually using all of my electronics simultaneously! I prefer to use my laptop if I have lots of typing to do. Sitting next to me will be the iPad often running a quilt tutorial for me to enjoy. My phone is always close to me as well for texting and playing games.

Not quite sure how I managed to grow up in the 60's and 70's without any of these devices!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chay View Post
Anna,
I made an iPad cushion for a friend for Christmas based on a pattern I saw on a Kindle site that a woman was generous enough to share. I actually made 1 iPad cushion and 9 book rest cushions for my reading friends. Here's how:

Cut out 2 pieces of fabric each 12 x 14" (for the book cushions cut the fabric 20 x 24"). Right sides together, sew around all 4 sides leaving an opening to turn. Square off 3 of the 4 corners - like you do when you make a purse with a flat bottom, meet the front and back seams of the corner and sew straight across about 2" down. (For the big bags I sewed about 8" down.) Turn the bag inside out and fill about 2/3 full with the styrofoam beads that you use to fill bean bag chairs. I bought an immense bag of beans for about $13 and ended up using all of them because I made so many cushions. Hand sew the opening shut. When you put the cushion on your lap the point that you did not square off is on top. Smoosh the cushion around till you find a comfortable angle to hold your book or iPad.

You can fancy these up by making a fabric or ribbon loop to put in the corner that is not squared off so that when you turn it right side out there's a loop handle and I also put a pocket on the big ones to keep a pencil, reading glasses or a nice big bar of chocolate that you can munch on while reading.

I hope these directions are clear, it's hard to describe how to do something in words. Really, it took about 15 minutes to make the iPad cushion and once I started an assembly line for the others I had them done in an afternoon. I'll post a picture if I can manage to figure out how.

Char
Thanks for that tute.I would like to try making yr pattern.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:26 AM

Karen, I was lucky to recently get an iPad too. You may want to get a QuiltMate Pro for it, I love mine!!!
Www.quiltmatepro.com.

I watch lots of tutorials!

Happy Quilting
Di