Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Janome 6600p on quilting frame >

Using Janome 6600p on quilting frame

Using Janome 6600p on quilting frame

Old 02-03-2012, 12:14 PM

Default Using Janome 6600p on quilting frame

I have a Janome 6600p that I'm using on a Grace start right quilting frame for the first time. When I start free motion quilting, I'm get bird nest and extremely loose threads on the bottom. The top thread is also breaking despite whatever tension I used. I'm also using the special bobbin case for free motion quilting that is suppose to stop the bird nests. My tension is set between 5 and 8. I wanted to know if I should invest in a stitch length requlator which run $500 or is it something I'm doing wrong.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:17 PM

Are you putting the presser foot in the down position? That's the most common problem when people switch to frame quilting.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:21 PM

I think I am but maybe you are right...It doesn't always do it, I usually can go across the quilt when I first start and then if the thread breaks and I have to re-thread I may be forgetting to put the presser foot down. Thanks so much, do you have any other tips for sewing on a quilt frame, and would a stitch length regulator be a good investment.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:38 PM

with the 6600, it will beep at you if the presser foot isn't down, so that isn't the issue.....try turning off the machine and then back on.....then rethread.....i've had the same issue before....it's almost as if the tension discs are "confused", but reset when powering down, then back on.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

The stitch regulator won't help with tension issues. It does help keep the length of your stitches even. There are so many things that can affect tension.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:10 PM

Take a deep breath. If this is your first quilt on the frame, you're having "learning curve" issues. Sometimes the eyelashes on the bottom are because you're moving the quilt too fast for the speed of the machine. The 6600 isn't a longarm - you can't go 100 mph like some of the videos online. Try setting your speed at a steady rate, then work on keeping your movements smooth and steady. The tendency is to speed up around curves, so take note. Breaking thread, needles, tension issues, it's all learning the ropes. You might want to play with different threads too. I find some of the heavier threads don't work on mine because I have the speed set faster on the frame than when I use it on the table and it shreds the thread. You might also check the size of your needle. Go to a bigger size. Driving the machine over the quilt is a totally different thing than driving your quilt under a machine. It just takes patience, and practise.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:21 AM

Janome makes a low tension bobbin case ( blue dot instead of red ) which is intended for use with FMQ on the 6500 and 6600