Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Loupes for Home Machine Sewing >

Using Loupes for Home Machine Sewing

Using Loupes for Home Machine Sewing

Old 10-20-2022, 05:00 AM

Default Using Loupes for Home Machine Sewing

Just returned from my dental appointment and the hygienist was using, what she called a "loupe". It is an apparatus that you wear like eye glasses. It has two magnifiers (one on each side) and an LED light in the middle with a 16.5" distance.

I'm curious to learn if there is anyone in the "quilting world" who uses this type of apparatus? If so, does it work for sewing and approximately how much did you pay for it? Obviously, the dental hygienist paid a huge price for hers. There are some on AMAZON for $50.00. Thank you for your input.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:05 AM

Sometimes when I'm sewing I have to wear readers over my regular glasses to see better. And of course extra light never hurts. The loupe might be a good idea. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:45 AM

Years ago, I bought the magnifier lens attachment for my Bernina. This consists of three different strength lens that attach to the machine and magnify the needle area. I did use it briefly and found it did help but also got in the way sometimes. I then had my annual eye exam and as I had just gotten a long arm, I asked the eye doctor to give me a prescription so I can see better. He suggested that I get bifocals that corrected for reading and also midrange for when I was long arming and also for the computer. I love them! Because they are bifocals, they have a larger area then trifocals would have and it is easier on my neck to use them. However, it is difficult to walk with them on as there is no far distance correction. After I got them, I did stop using the Bernina lens. One of my friends did send me some sort of a magnifier system that I think would look like loups that dentist uses but I really haven't tried it yet as my longarming/computer prescription glasses are working just fine.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:29 AM

I’ve never thought of doing that. I’ll have to remember to dig my old pair out of the cupboard at work and give it a try. If only Bryant refractives were cheaper…
Old 10-20-2022, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

I have the magnifier set for my Bernina for detail work. I believe Bonnie Hunter uses a special device to improve her vision for hand sewing. You might find something on her Quiltville site about it.
Old 10-20-2022, 03:40 PM

Harbour Freight sells these - I have a pair and wear them sometimes, depends what I'm doing. I also had my optometrist make me a pair of single vision glasses in a "close-up" vision for when I sew. I've had them for years and love them.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:35 PM

Bonnie Hunter uses Craft-Optics. I have seen ads for them in some quilt magazines & saw a vendor at the AQS show in Grand Rapids. You do need to give them your prescription.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:02 AM

I use readers. 150 for normal stuff like reading and computer work, and 250 or 300 for applique. I like the ones I get at Home Depot; they're $5, are very lightweight, very flexible and bendable, which is great for when I fall asleep reading my kindle and wake up laying on them. 🤣

Award-winning quilter Lisa Calle uses Craft-Optics for her very detailed quilting. They are, in my opinion, fairly expensive, about $400 if I remember right.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:58 AM

I'm acquainted with a woman who does prize-winning applique and I saw her wearing magnifier glasses of some sort.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:32 AM

Besides quilting, some applique work, I also cross stitch in the evenings. I have a set of magnifier lenses with built in light purchased from Amazon months ago, but the lenses sometimes pop off and fall in my lap or the floor. For me and my peace of mind the Craft Optics seem doable. Sounds like I do need a current prescription for my bifocals.