Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using quilt as a shower curtain >

Using quilt as a shower curtain

Using quilt as a shower curtain

Old 07-17-2014, 06:03 AM

My dear departed sister-in-law made a beautiful shower curtain quilt, flimsily, a TEXAS STAR, in sweet pastels. I am going by memory now but I believe that she did not layer it or quilt it. It moved too easily to have been sandwiched. The fabric seemed to hang and move like a single layer of fabric. Perhaps she did have a plain backing layer. I know that she used a clear plastic show curtain behind it so there would not be any water damage. It was such a striking touch to her families bathroom. So.... in the end, do give this a try.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I've done 1 cloth shower curtain but not a quilted one. I wouldn't put any batting in. The cotton would absorb moisture and get very heavy.... plus you'd have the mildew thing going on inside the layers. I would make my quilt like any other quilt (no batting) and put my grommits on the one side. But I wouldn't attach the liner to the quilt. That's the way I have my shower curtains here at home. I can wash the outer decorative curtain without a problem. And, if the plastic liner gets ugly, I can replace that without destroying my pretty cloth curtain. Good luck with your project.
Ditto everything nanna-up-north said. I was going to write a response, but she said it perfectly. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

We had repainted our bathroom. DH was looking at my stash and that is where we got the color for the bathroom. It was in a piece of fabric. Ended up there was enough fabric to make the shower curtain. I used a piece of muslin for the backing. Everything was pre-washed and the fabric came from an estate sale. I usually wash the liner in the washing machine and let it drip dry in the shower/tub. All total about $5.00.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:51 AM

Here is the shower curtain I made for my DDIL, who picked out the fabrics and designed it. I used french seams to enclosed the raw edges, but a serger would work great. My DS wanted a "window" of vinyl at the top and I found an inexpensive clear vinyl with embossed bubbles that I cut up for the window. Either sew with the vinyl between two layers of fabric or use tissue paper between the vinyl and your presser foot, or it sticks and the machine won't advance the fabric. Here it is: (looks like pillowcases sewn together on the bed, but looks much better hanging LOL) I used buttonholes for the curtain rings. They use a clear liner behind it so as to not block the light coming through the "window". Works great!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]483690[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf2551.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 11:21 AM

I think you could do whatever you want if you use a good liner with it.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:16 PM

I'm glad you asked this question because SOMEDAY I'm going to make a shower curtain to match my guest room and was wondering the same things. I don't know how to do grommets or buttonholes, so I'll have to learn before I tackle this.