Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using sheets for backing??? >

Using sheets for backing???

Using sheets for backing???

Old 03-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Since I hand quilt, and I love the beautiful backing fabric, that is all I use....That way it can be flipped for a different look. Just my personal preference..... :roll:
Old 03-23-2011, 06:37 AM

i use sheets ALL the time, the cost for that sheet is much more affordable for me then also buying more backing fabric. i try to choose higher thread count fabric that will not pill i generally find this at walmart. I agree with the 1 statement made above my quilts r not of high quality, i do it for fun, creativity outlet, gifts, im not the best far from it. if someone wanted me to make them 1 & if they wanted professinal results they shouldnt look to me in the 1st place. as i do understand what ur saying. there r several reasons ppl quilt & several reasons for which 1 chooses the fabrics they do, final cost is a good factor. it is each of our creations & whatever 1 chooses to finish or start a quilt is up to them & in now way makes them a better or worse seamtress. quilting to me is about creativity & outlet & like any other medium 1 should not be told thier is a right & wrong way to create. HOWEVER with that being said: If 1 is selling at perfection market prices then the purchaser should be getting ALL they are paying for which would require supirior start products. i use sheets a good bit of the time & have never been dissapointed with the results. i have used fabric, the piecing & cost has left me bewildered. blessings
Old 03-23-2011, 06:38 AM

I use sheets & I hand quilt. I have had no problems with them. If they are new I wash & hang outside to dry ( no dryer). I have made with flannel backing, but the person that wanted the quilt bought all fabrics needed ( T-shirt quilt ).
Basically I use what I have. ;-)
Old 03-23-2011, 06:44 AM

The last couple of quilts I've done I've used wide backing. But that is just because I found really good quality for 3.00 a yard. Before that I used 250 ct cotton sheets with no problems.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:55 AM

My belief is use what you have or can afford..No one should think little of anyone because they like to use sheets...My grandmother never had the option of going to a store to buy specific fabrics for a quilt..She always used what she had or what someone gave her...
Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 AM

I personally don't use sheet material because the thread count is too tight for me. When I do crazy quilting the only machine work is the laying of pieces onto foundation, after that, it's all hand work. Sometimes the needle just doesn't want to go through the tight thread count of sheets...so I gave that up years ago...now I only use muslin or linen.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by echobluff
2) Using polyester thread when piecing/quilting cotton, the polyester filaments act like a knife and will cut cotton fibers...not something I want after everything that's gone into making a quilt to be loved/used.
Check out superiorthreads.com and look at their education tab...your t-shirts that have much harder wear and are laundered much more than any quilt are sewn with polyester thread.

I use poly and cotton-wrapped poly to quilt my quilts, as well as 100% cotton, depending on the colors I want to use. Usually piece with 100% cotton just because it's what I have.

If you are ever feeling rich, use silk or bamboo batting...ooohhh so nice. Makes W&N cotton feel so harsh!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 AM

I'm a little bit ecletic on what I use. If it fits the use I have for it, then I use it. When my FIL passed away, I acquired a lot of old new and used sheets. I do not have to worrry for awhile.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:27 AM

I really believe this is one of those topics that did not need to be. If you do not want to use sheets, then do not. But do not make those that do seem like idots or lessor quilters. If you want all cotton, then fine. Many do not. I use sheets for backing and also for plain fabric in the quilt. Works fine, have had no problem.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by echobluff
reasons: 1 2) Using polyester thread when piecing/quilting cotton, the polyester filaments act like a knife and will cut cotton fibers...not something I want after everything that's gone into making a quilt to be loved/used.
This is a myth and totally not true. So please do not continue to perpetuate this old wives tale.

From Superior threads:

Will polyester thread really tear the fabric in my quilt?

Thread will not tear through a fabric solely due to its fiber content. If a thread ever tears through a fabric, it is because it won the strength contest. In a battle of heavy use and high stress placed on a quilt, the strongest component will always win. It is not accurate to say that a polyester thread is stronger than cotton. I have a spool of thread on my desk labeled 100% cotton quilting thread. It is a very well known brand, widely available, and is one of the top selling machine quilting and piecing threads. It is twice as strong as a comparable polyester thread. Although it isn't labeled as such, it is coated with a glaze which strengthens the cotton fibers and makes the thread rather wiry. In a strength test, it beats a comparable size poly, rayon, and metallic every time. In a heavily used quilt, this stiff, wiry cotton thread could do more damage than a soft polyester thread. And it is 100% cotton.

The point is this: The traditions, myths, and rumors that polyester thread will tear the quilt are not true

Source: http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...dition-or-myth
I have to agree with this as I attended Bob Purcell's presentation and learned a lot about thread. I still will use my good quality cotton threads on my quilts, because I have so much of it, but I also know that several of the most accomplished professional, internationally known quilters, use a LOT of poly in quilting their finished quilts so if I was looking for a particular color, I wouldn't hesitate to use the poly. BUT....
I would never, ever use a bedsheet for a backing.