Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using sheets for backing??? >

Using sheets for backing???

Using sheets for backing???

Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 AM

Sheets are simply fabric with bound edges. It's up to each individual to decide if the fabric is good quality and would make a nice backing. I don't understand the never ever use one statement because fabric is fabric. I don't use poly or poly blends but IKEA has some great cotton sheets that cost less than the similar fabric off the bolt. Whatever works!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:45 AM

I don't have an opinion about sheets as backing, but I made comforters out of two flat sheets when I was in high school in the early 70's. They are still in use today--a little ratty, but still loved. Sheets are strong!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:03 AM

The use of sheets for backing is sort of like pre wash or not for fabrics. There are many pros and cons for both sides of the issue. And, it depends on what you are using for batting, the purpose of the quilt, how it is going to be sandwiched (tied, machine quilted, hand quilted) and what the top fabrics are ... so many variables ... no hard and fast rule. Use what works for you and be happy with it.

It is all good!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 AM

Walmart carries a brand of sheets that come in little pouches with a snap on it. Cannot for the life of me remember what the name is on them. I used one for the first time for the backing on the quilt that's in my avatar and it quilted up beautifully. The back is so soft and my daughter-in-law just loves the feeling of the backing on her skin. Like others have said, my quilts are to be loved and used, not to be put into a show. If they fall apart from use, I at least know it was used in the manner I hoped for and I can always make another one to replace it. If I ever get to the point that I want to quilt for a show, it will be a different story I'm sure. I try to use what's appropriate for the project and the situation.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 AM

Several years ago I bought two tied quilts from a Mennonite retirement home, made by the ladies there. Both had sheets for backs and were bound by bringing the backs over to the front. I got a pink one and a blue one for my two grandkids. They have been used and washed many times and still look great. I plan on using a sheet for the back of my next quilt which has an Italian themed print and I plan to tie it too. Hope it turns out as will as theirs did!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by quilter in the making
Walmart carries a brand of sheets that come in little pouches with a snap on it. Cannot for the life of me remember what the name is on them. I used one for the first time for the backing on the quilt that's in my avatar and it quilted up beautifully. The back is so soft and my daughter-in-law just loves the feeling of the backing on her skin. Like others have said, my quilts are to be loved and used, not to be put into a show. If they fall apart from use, I at least know it was used in the manner I hoped for and I can always make another one to replace it. If I ever get to the point that I want to quilt for a show, it will be a different story I'm sure. I try to use what's appropriate for the project and the situation.
These are the sheets I used also. Twin flat was on sale for $2 or $3. I purchased three. That is very inexpensive fabric. I am trying to think of something to use with those little pouches! Too good to throw away.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Parrothead
I really believe this is one of those topics that did not need to be. If you do not want to use sheets, then do not. But do not make those that do seem like idots or lessor quilters. If you want all cotton, then fine. Many do not. I use sheets for backing and also for plain fabric in the quilt. Works fine, have had no problem.
Well, it seems by all the negative comments here, that my question/opinion was taken the wrong way, even though I asked that it not be. It was not my intent to CRITICIZE or JUDGE and if I've offended anyone (and it seems I have), please accept my sincere apologies. I guess I'll go back to only reading the posts and keep my big mouth shut...then everyone will be happy again.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 AM

I like to use older good quality cotton sheets for backings. And there have even been times I used a blend..when I really liked the pattern or color. My quilts are made to be used, they're certainly not heirlooms.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by echobluff
Well, it seems by all the negative comments here, that my question/opinion was taken the wrong way, even though I asked that it not be. It was not my intent to CRITICIZE or JUDGE and if I've offended anyone (and it seems I have), please accept my sincere apologies. I guess I'll go back to only reading the posts and keep my big mouth shut...then everyone will be happy again.
Not all comments were negative. While some did take exception, and I will have to admit my reply to you on the thread, upon re-reading it did sound a bit harsh, I apologize, please do not stop contributing on the board with posts and topics. Every once in a while a topic just seems to ruffle feathers and there is no getting around it. Please, read and POST. Everyone has something to contribute and your post was not offensive it just seemed to touch a few nerves. Look at the bright side, you learned something new about using polyester thread and the notion that polyester cuts through cotton is a myth!! :lol: ;-) :lol: And a few others did too! I know I can't stand to propigate mis-information and I am always glad to find out something I thought was true was really just myth brought on by traditions. I bet you have a lot to contribute. You are obviously a dedicated quilter and I am sure you have learned a few valuable tricks over the years. Do not let this one not so great experience sour you on posting and contributing to the QB.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by echobluff
Not all comments were negative. While some did take exception, and I will have to admit my reply to you on the thread, upon re-reading it did sound a bit harsh, I apologize, please do not stop contributing on the board with posts and topics. Every once in a while a topic just seems to ruffle feathers and there is no getting around it. Please, read and POST. Everyone has something to contribute and your post was not offensive it just seemed to touch a few nerves. Look at the bright side, you learned something new about using polyester thread and the notion that polyester cuts through cotton is a myth!! :lol: ;-) :lol: And a few others did too! I know I can't stand to propigate mis-information and I am always glad to find out something I thought was true was really just myth brought on by traditions. I bet you have a lot to contribute. You are obviously a dedicated quilter and I am sure you have learned a few valuable tricks over the years. Do not let this one not so great experience sour you on posting and contributing to the QB.
One quilt pattern interpreted by 20 different people will result in 20 very different quilts, proof that we all can read the same set of words and get many different ideas from them. Just as those quilts are likely all lovely, so are the thoughts and opinions presented on this board. I learned a lot from this thread, about threads and fibers and backings and uses and people. I thank you all for participating in this conversation, and our original poster for starting it!