Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using sheets for backing >

Using sheets for backing

Using sheets for backing

Old 07-06-2010, 08:08 AM

Very hard to hand quilt as are some batiks.
I think I read somewhere that quilting cottons have a 60 thread count???
and most sheets are 200 or much more
Old 07-06-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
I've been reading where some of you find sheets at garage sales, and places such as this. I know from reading that you cut the header off(top portion) of the sheet I am assuming. Cutting this off, does it still leave a big enough piece for the backing? Can someone explain how this is done? I am fairly new, and looking to maybe being able to put a one piece backing. Thank you all
I rip off the header , bottom and sides. This (almost always) squares the backing making it easy to load on my Tin Lizzie frame. Sheets are not always hemmed evenly with the grain of the fabric. I haven't had a problem with them being big enough, I just estimate the size sheet needed for the top I'm quilting.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:03 PM

I use sheets all of the time and I can't imagine why you would rip off the header and waste valuable material. The hems are usually stitched with a chain stitch and rip out very quickly. Even if they are just straight stitched a few minutes with a stitch ripper over a cup of tea and they are out and will give you additional inches for your back. Sheets work really well for machine quilting or tying. My quilt guild uses them all the time for the backs of our large Community quilts as they can be purchased for less than $10 Canadian (the last ones I got were on sale for $5).
Old 07-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
I use sheets all of the time and I can't imagine why you would rip off the header and waste valuable material. The hems are usually stitched with a chain stitch and rip out very quickly. Even if they are just straight stitched a few minutes with a stitch ripper over a cup of tea and they are out and will give you additional inches for your back.
lol

I was just thinking, "Am I the only one who takes the time to rip out the stitching?!" That's at least 4-6 more inches of usable fabric and even if there are fade lines from the fold you can use the scraps!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:22 PM

I used to use sheets as backings for my quilts. At the time I didn't think I had a problem hand quilting it. Once I started using calicoes for the backing, I noticed it was easier to quilt through.

I stopped using sheets as backings when they started selling sheets only in sets. I didn't buy sheets from thrift stores or yard sales because I didn't know how the sheets were taken care of.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:03 PM

I most like all cotton sheets that are 200-250 count and good quality. Sateen I love the feel of, but it's slippery to work with. I like Ralph Lauren sheets. They are crisp and they get soft over time and wear like iron. I can often find just flat sheets at a discount at places like Ross or Marshalls or TJ Maxx. The quilt in my avatar is a cotton Springmaid sheet I found in Ross for $3.29. I loved the print, so it's a whole cloth quilt, with another solid sheet for the back. (Oh no- can you hear the screams from the police state! Two sheets)

I never have a problem with machine quilting. I do rip down the sides, because they pucker on my frame. Other than that, I love the sheets. (In fact, in the avatar quilt, I used the header to frame the Italian Greyhound cartouche.) Waste not, want not.