Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using stash to create kits for travel >

Using stash to create kits for travel

Using stash to create kits for travel

Old 08-25-2021, 07:15 AM

I am fascinated by people who can live small. I do have friends who have RV life styles, most of them I know because they do also have a home base. Some of the ideas I've taken for keeping my projects in boxes while in process even at home I've adapted from them. Bags are great for organizing projects (there can be huge ones at the dollar store sometimes), but they do slide around. Keeping them in a tote is a really good idea. Be careful with totes in long term storage, inspect each time you visit to make sure lids fit nicely and there are no cracks. I'm a believer in keeping everything a bit off the ground/floor too, even totes. Just in case something nearby spills, a couple of inches from cinder blocks or whatever can be a wonderful thing.

Although I do have all sorts of gadgets and gizmos in drawers, I keep most everything I actually use in a reasonably small case that I can carry back and forth to my Tuesday group. For the last few years I've had an oversized lunchbox with Minions on it, but that has fallen apart. Current is a clear smallish toolbox, sturdy and convenient.

What you kit up can depend on the type of camping you will be doing. One of my friends spent extended periods of time alone and quiet during hunting season and accommodations were rustic... she would kit up a project at home, often a 30s applique or have a top to be hand quilted.

Another friend has a huge RV and they go to resorts. She has a power machine installed, I think basically they converted a slide out bunk unit into a sewing room? Is pretty ample work space/storage.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Lots of (food for thought) here. Sewingpup- we have discussed and considered many of the things you brought up. I will be able to drive the truck pulling the 5th wheel and get home if something happened to my hubby. We have been spending our vacations exploring different states/ areas- we will have ( 3) home bases. My ( family property) here in Michigan where we all land when we need to, where both of our families are. We’ve already decided on Maine where we will be buying property , putting in the well, septic, electric, a pad to park the trailer and considering building a cabin there. The winter place we haven’t ( found yet) but again plan to buy a piece of property and putting in the utilities.
we know we are not getting any younger.
since I sew/quilt, hook rugs all year I won’t be missing the long winter months, in fact I seem to be more prone to curling up with a book instead of quilting in the winter.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Lots of (food for thought) here. Sewingpup- we have discussed and considered many of the things you brought up. I will be able to drive the truck pulling the 5th wheel and get home if something happened to my hubby. We have been spending our vacations exploring different states/ areas- we will have ( 3) home bases. My ( family property) here in Michigan where we all land when we need to, where both of our families are. We’ve already decided on Maine where we will be buying property , putting in the well, septic, electric, a pad to park the trailer and considering building a cabin there. The winter place we haven’t ( found yet) but again plan to buy a piece of property and putting in the utilities.
we know we are not getting any younger.
since I sew/quilt, hook rugs all year I won’t be missing the long winter months, in fact I seem to be more prone to curling up with a book instead of quilting in the winter.
I admire quilters who can organize and put together projects for travel and you are certainly one of them. I'd say go for it. We had two homes for awhile plus the travel trailer and some acreage, only I could never get it together. Whatever I was in the mood to work on was at the other house 1800 miles away. And I couldn't seem to focus on anything in my lap while on the road. My sewing nest here is a scatterbrained mess of half done projects, whims, flights of fancy and a few planned projects that will not get off the ground. Luckily, my husband loves it. Anyway, go! Do great things! With all the mail forwarding services and online bill pay options we now have, it is totally possible. Just don't put any rain gutters on that cabin!
Old 08-26-2021, 03:11 PM

I thought of the driving problem today. I'm glad you feel confident to drive a large truck and trailer. Be sure you practice backing up just in case. Backing a trailer is a pain and an art form. Do a bit of practice on that.

I'm not sure I could even downsize that much. I have a big home and big sewing room and love not being cramped. I'm glad that you're good with it and both of you will get to do something you enjoy.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:19 PM

I'd go small on a sailboat, instead of an RV. A 60' Swan in the South Pacific would be nice (and way out of my price range.) Right now, I live in a very small house...not nearly as adventurous as a sailboat. Still, I have to deal with working in a tiny space. I like to make fabric cases out of some of the fabric that I'm using in a project, then fill them with my pieces and instructions of a project, then them in a drawer. That way, it's easy to know what the project is inside the case. Plastic bags are OK, but they get kind of gooey after awhile.
Old 08-26-2021, 06:10 PM

I belong to a church quilt group & they like to tie or piece. They actually don’t like to choose a pattern or cut fabric so I make kits for them. Works for me because I like that aspect. I had over 30 kits at one time ready to take home or sew at church. Most are lap size for children. 2 gallon bags work best and I enclose the extra fabric in case I miscalculated.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:46 PM

ckcowl, your plans sound wonderful!

I've done just what you described, with the kits, even though I wasn't traveling. I just like to have things organized. I started by gathering fabric groups around a focus fabric, and then I sat down with all of my patterns and matched pattern to fabric group. As one who enjoys organizing things, it was great fun. I started prepping the kits as my main project, but this year I've been using the prep quilts as leader/ender projects; it works out great.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:44 AM

I like your idea of planning ahead…

I have a friend who did the same as you and Jeff plan for your retirement. They purchased a beautiful RV and traveled south all of last winter and spent the summer here in Maine…at Duck Puddle campground near Damariscotta. Let me know if you ever get to Maine.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:52 AM

I have a quilting friend who moves from the "north country" to her second home in Florida every November for six months. She makes herself kits from her minuscule stash. For her this works marvelously. It keeps her on task and prevents her from maintaining fabric in two homes. Great idea and having a few years to work on dispersing your stash and duplicates, kitting sounds like a grand idea.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I like your idea of planning ahead…

I have a friend who did the same as you and Jeff plan for your retirement. They purchased a beautiful RV and traveled south all of last winter and spent the summer here in Maine…at Duck Puddle campground near Damariscotta. Let me know if you ever get to Maine.
I will let you know- not ( if) but when. We both love Maine- I would retire there but Jeff doesn’t want to deal with winters anymore so it’s south for the winters.