Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using stash to create kits for travel >

Using stash to create kits for travel

Using stash to create kits for travel

Old 08-27-2021, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I'd go small on a sailboat, instead of an RV. A 60' Swan in the South Pacific would be nice (and way out of my price range.) Right now, I live in a very small house...not nearly as adventurous as a sailboat. Still, I have to deal with working in a tiny space. I like to make fabric cases out of some of the fabric that I'm using in a project, then fill them with my pieces and instructions of a project, then them in a drawer. That way, it's easy to know what the project is inside the case. Plastic bags are OK, but they get kind of gooey after awhile.

I have an uncle who followed your dream- houseboat living for a few years- he loved it. Me….I love being at the coast— being out in it- not so much. A ( dive class) when thinking about being a marine biologist cured me— I felt so tiny- everything out there is bigger than me I felt like just part of the food chain in an alien environment.
fabric cases is an intriguing idea. I might have to look into that more.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I thought of the driving problem today. I'm glad you feel confident to drive a large truck and trailer. Be sure you practice backing up just in case. Backing a trailer is a pain and an art form. Do a bit of practice on that.

I'm not sure I could even downsize that much. I have a big home and big sewing room and love not being cramped. I'm glad that you're good with it and both of you will get to do something you enjoy.
in my younger years (20’s through 30’s I lived on the west coast and traveled to Michigan with my kids to Michigan usually 2-3 times a year- I loved those road trips and was more often than not pulling some sort of trailer- some small, some pretty large. I am pretty good at pulling them and backing them up. My husband tells me a 5th wheel is easier than a pull behind trailer so I’m not too worried. We will ( before the big step) be doing more traveling and I will get some practice in.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
in my younger years (20’s through 30’s I lived on the west coast and traveled to Michigan with my kids to Michigan usually 2-3 times a year- I loved those road trips and was more often than not pulling some sort of trailer- some small, some pretty large. I am pretty good at pulling them and backing them up. My husband tells me a 5th wheel is easier than a pull behind trailer so I’m not too worried. We will ( before the big step) be doing more traveling and I will get some practice in.
That's great! I've also heard that a 5th wheel is easier to pull than a trailer. I pulled my horse trailer with an El Camino a few times when I was a teenager, but never really got the knack of backing up. You're going to have a lot of fun, I'm sure.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:29 PM

The only concern I would have is that often the outside travel areas get wet. You will be amazed at how many "little spots" you can hide your kits on the inside
Old 09-10-2021, 03:03 AM

That is an awesome idea! I might have to "borrow" it even though I won't be downsizing or moving anytime soon (as long as my health cooperates!) BUT... that might satisfy hubby that I am getting my studio straightened up! Thanks for the idea!