Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vacuuming up the dust, scraps and assorted pins >

Vacuuming up the dust, scraps and assorted pins

Vacuuming up the dust, scraps and assorted pins

Old 10-09-2016, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Oh I just moved and my "sewing" room has some sort of shaggy carpet. Hope not to drop any pins!!! I do have a magnetic wand that should help if I do.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:38 AM

Could you please come to my sewing room..............................
Old 10-09-2016, 08:22 AM

I was looking for projects for a retreat coming up next weekend. A friend suggested we all work on 1930's reproduction fabrics, that way we could trade scraps. I sorted out a couple of bins and had a lot of 2.5 inch squares. I cut up a couple of jelly rolls and had even more! I remembered a pattern that I wanted to make and started sewing them all together. I have scraps and snippets everywhere! I have to tippie toe into my sewing room to get to the sewing machine. I still need a pattern for a retreat project! Picking up is in my very near future!
Attached Thumbnails dscf2107.jpg  
Old 10-09-2016, 08:34 AM

our sewing "rooms" give us such great comfort!
Old 10-09-2016, 09:30 AM

Looking at my floor today and thinking vacuum now. Still have to do it, still thinking about it.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:12 PM

My sewing room is a mess. I seem to think better that way. Except it is getting beyond the helping me be creative type of mess. It is getting to the making me nut kind of mess. I had my GS up there today for a couple of minutes and he said "Grandma you need to clean up your toys." I am making a Halloween costume for my DGD and using tulle with glitter on it. OMG what a glitter mess. I had to vacuum a section of the floor. I think there is more glitter on the floor than on the tulle.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:06 PM

I do vacuum every once in a while but I am religious in using a magnet to retrieve pins (learned this when I made costumes for the local little theatre.)
Old 10-10-2016, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
Ok, so it started with a new ironing board cover. I bought 3 yards of that metalic looking ironing board cover. Recovered my board which is 24" x 60"? Something like that. Then decided to clean up a bit around my ironing station. Ended up vacuuming 1/2 my sewing room. I know this doesn't sound like much. But I haven't seen the floor in a couple of years. Cleaned up a sweat. Hoping to finish today. I hate to clean too much. It won't look like I'm getting anything done.
Oh PLEASE come to my house....I could use someone to do it for me! My DH keeps telling me that I need to clean my sewing room, but I'd rather piece or quilt, and it's a mess!
Old 10-10-2016, 05:35 AM

Every time my husband comes down to my sewing room (in the basement) he makes a sarcastic remark about pins or threads or fabric scraps on the floor. I always tell him that if I picked up every pin, scrap, or thread immediately I'd never get any sewing done. I also have a magnetic pin picker upper that I use once in a while. (When I was working I also used a pin picker upper to pick up paper clips around my desk). Unfortunately I have carpeting since the sewing room is in the basement and the floor is cement. Trying to talk my husband into tiling the floor for easier cleanup. Glad I'm not the only one who has problems keeping sewing room neat.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:15 AM

My sewing room is a mess, but I like it that way. I find clutter to be comforting - if my work space is too clean it makes me feel anxious - someone is DEFINITELY going to come and yell at me if I leave something out of place! But if I have my things out, I can relax and be creative and not worry about anything else. There is definitely such a thing as TOO cluttered, to be sure, but I'm most at home in a fairly messy space. My sewing room is in my living room, so I keep large things off the floor (no trip hazards) and don't let "stuff" pile up on my tables too much (I need to USE those tables!), but when I'm in the middle of a project or two (which is always) there are GOING to be stacks of fabrics and half-made blocks here and there, and random things clinging to my design wall, and probably a couple rulers and some paperwork layered in among the fabrics as well. Not to mention all the various little threads and trimmed-off corners that are usually scattered around on the floor in front of my cutting table. None of that bothers me in the least.

I am really good about keeping pins up off the floor, though. I'm always barefoot when I'm home, so if I drop a pin I do not leave until I find it. Otherwise I'm likely to find it in my foot, and that is NO fun!