Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
VAT on Fabric? >

VAT on Fabric?

VAT on Fabric?

Old 12-16-2010, 05:19 AM

Oh my gosh! I could never afford a stash at that rate. One quilt at a time is all I could afford. My stash is only left over pieces.

We know the VAT will arrive in US sometime. It bothers me because it is a repeating tax. It is added on to every level until the consumer buys it - whatever you buy.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
between state and local, sales tax around here ranges between 7% and 10%.

i don't feel guilty about complaining.

i just have a great deal more sympathy for our international quilting friends than i do for myself.

Isn't that the truth!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:30 AM

Here in Smithville we have a sales tax, but our average price for fabric is between $4.99 to $5.99, exceptions are Moda, Thimbleberry, etc. I feel blessed.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:50 AM

In New Hampshire we pay no tax on purchased goods of any kind.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:43 AM

I've never heard of this VAT before. Isn't this double taxation? We left VA because they wanted to tax us for any tools or equipment we had that we could maybe make some extra income from. We paid taxes on it when we bought it. We shouldn't have to pay taxes on it again. I'm totally fed up with all these fees they keep slamming us with. And we aren't even getting a cost of living raise again. They should make a moritorium on raising prices when the economy is the way it is. We have to adjust our budget for these increases and our government should have to do the same. Ohhh, venting feels so good. LOL
Old 12-16-2010, 06:54 AM

So far we don't have a VAT tax in the U.S.A. but some politicians are talking about one. Hope we don't get one. We pay enough taxes now.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by ann clare
How much VAT(Value Added Tax) do you pay on your fabric. Here in Ireland we pay 21%. Fabric costs us €14.95 per meter including VAT.
How many mm seam allowance you folks use? I'm not used to the metric system and my husband is asking me.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 AM

How much VAT(Value Added Tax) do you pay on your fabric. Here in Ireland we pay 21%. Fabric costs us €14.95 per meter including VAT.
I live in Oregon and we don't have any sales tax. We have a high income tax, but no sales tax. I think we may be the only state in the union that doesn't have sales tax.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1
So far we don't have a VAT tax in the U.S.A. but some politicians are talking about one. Hope we don't get one. We pay enough taxes now.
They have to fund their pay raises somewhow! Sorry, but we are taxed when we make it, when we spend it and just for having it {and taking good care of it}.....and if we sell it.
We have 6% sales tax, except for groceries, which is 2%. We do have to pay an ad valorum tax {luxury tax} on our vehicle when buying a tag each year. The more your vehicle is worth, the more you pay.
I guess that is why we have learned to be resourceful. I love the many hints that have come across this board. :) :)
Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts
How many mm seam allowance you folks use? I'm not used to the metric system and my husband is asking me.
In Canada, we buy our fabric in meters (39.4 inches) but usually sew in inches because so many of our patterns are from the USA. 1/4 inch is still 1/4 inch. Our fat quarters are about 20 inches instead of 18 inches.