Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vellum paper for quilting >

Vellum paper for quilting

Vellum paper for quilting

Old 02-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
It has to be lightweight vellum not the stiff kind used in most scrapbooking. If it feel like thin copy paper then it will work great. I bought a ream of it and that will last me probably the rest of my life. LOL. I bought it here:http://www.paperplus.com/productdeta...p?bvn=10016356
I did feel this and there are 2 different kinds. The thinner more sheer one is the one I am going to get the most of. The heavier one might work better for the iron on transfer idea!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
It has to be lightweight vellum not the stiff kind used in most scrapbooking. If it feel like thin copy paper then it will work great. I bought a ream of it and that will last me probably the rest of my life. LOL. I bought it here:http://www.paperplus.com/productdeta...p?bvn=10016356
I did feel this and there are 2 different kinds. The thinner more sheer one is the one I am going to get the most of. The heavier one might work better for the iron on transfer idea!
Except you can't see through the thick stuff for placement on your fabric and I'm not sure it would run through a printer.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

A ream will of 500 sheets cost .066 cents apiece. 12 per $1 will cost .083 per sheet. You are probably paying what it cost the shop to buy so it's a good buy.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Banned

A ream will of 500 sheets cost .066 cents apiece. 12 per $1 will cost .083 per sheet. You are probably paying what it cost the shop to buy so it's a good buy.

and that ream needed shipping....I bought 300+ for $15.00!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

[quote=feline fanatic][quote=jaciqltznok]
It has to be lightweight vellum not the stiff kind used in most

Except you can't see through the thick stuff for placement on your fabric and I'm not sure it would run through a printer.
All of hers were see thru, just the darker colors like navy, hunter and burgundy were harder to see through...but for beading thru, iron-ins, etc, I think this will work and if not, there is always card making and the girl scout projects, and the YWCA projects..it won't be money ill spent that is for sure!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:55 PM

I love vellum for paper piecing!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM

I have used a few things for paper piecing. Yellow pages was recommended for strip blocks. I used those until someone recommended doodle pads from the dollar store - they are the bomb. You have to cut them down, but that paper just snaps off - it is so easy. My husband is a graphic artist and is looking at buying it in a cut 500 ream. I just copied Jinny Byers newest quilt pattern BOM, which is pp. There are 13 blocks and I printed the first instruction page in regular paper and the next pattern pieces in the doodle pad I had cut up. I've always hated to pull that darn paper off, but the doodle pads are sooo easy - and way less than vellum. I've got a ream of vellum here - never thought to use it.
Judi

I hope I get an answer on this quick!
I have read somewhere, that you can use vellum paper to print quilting designs on for machine quilting!
Has anyone done this?
How well does it work?

I am wondering because there is a liquidation sale going on today that has scrapbooking stuff and she has tons of vellum paper for sale 12 sheets for $1.00! I thing all of the lighter colors should work!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio
I have used a few things for paper piecing. Yellow pages was recommended for strip blocks. I used those until someone recommended doodle pads from the dollar store - they are the bomb. You have to cut them down, but that paper just snaps off - it is so easy. My husband is a graphic artist and is looking at buying it in a cut 500 ream. I just copied Jinny Byers newest quilt pattern BOM, which is pp. There are 13 blocks and I printed the first instruction page in regular paper and the next pattern pieces in the doodle pad I had cut up. I've always hated to pull that darn paper off, but the doodle pads are sooo easy - and way less than vellum. I've got a ream of vellum here - never thought to use it.
Judi

I hope I get an answer on this quick!
I have read somewhere, that you can use vellum paper to print quilting designs on for machine quilting!
Has anyone done this?
How well does it work?

I am wondering because there is a liquidation sale going on today that has scrapbooking stuff and she has tons of vellum paper for sale 12 sheets for $1.00! I thing all of the lighter colors should work!
those doodle pads are like the recycled newsprint I buy by the ream. That is what I use for PPing...was glad to find it when our $ store quit getting in the doodle pads!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

I'm a little confused here. Can you draw designs on it for machine quilting??
Then do you quilt over the paper designs?
Can you tell I'm just starting machine quilting?? :D:D
Old 02-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I'm a little confused here. Can you draw designs on it for machine quilting??
Then do you quilt over the paper designs?
Can you tell I'm just starting machine quilting?? :D:D
yes,, it is so neat to do this...
http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00085.asp