Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very Frustrated >

Very Frustrated

Very Frustrated

Old 04-10-2013, 11:30 AM
IQ2

Originally Posted by yweinst View Post
The quilt is a mariner star (my first) and in the same part of each block of a particular row of blocks there is a problem with my point. It appears that there might be excess fabric or the next block in the following row, which is pulled tight, might be too small for the space.. I hope that makes sense. I would take a picture but the picture isn't showing the problem...

So on my design wall it is mostly flat but somewhat lumpy and I know that the lumpy part is a problem...
Have you looked into the direction of your pressing? Maybe you just need to press some of the pieces in a different direction or open.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:00 PM

So I went to my LQS and they helped me out with what some of the issues. I am also going to take a private class on Sunday with an expert at the store and she is going to help me precision piece better and fix my mistakes. Thanks for the suggestion to find a quilting penpal...it's what gave me the idea to go to the LQS and ask for help.

Thanks ladies!!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:07 PM

Aren't the folks on this board the greatest! Always ready to point in the direction of a solution. Glad you found someone local for hands on assistance.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:24 AM

My first teacher told us that if we couldn't see the mistake while on a galloping horse, forget it! Remember, we always hone in on our mistakes and most other folks don't notice.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by yweinst View Post
So I went to my LQS and they helped me out with what some of the issues. I am also going to take a private class on Sunday with an expert at the store and she is going to help me precision piece better and fix my mistakes. Thanks for the suggestion to find a quilting penpal...it's what gave me the idea to go to the LQS and ask for help.

Thanks ladies!!!!
You might even find a quilting penpal right here on the boards. That way, you would have access to your pal, 24/7 !! I think we all need one.

I think the hardest thing for me, and I am still very new to quilting as well, is I see all the pictures of all these beautiful quilts and think oh my gosh I will never be able to do that!! But so far, even though I have only made a few quilts, my granddaughters have loved them. So I guess they do not see my mistakes : ). I just wish I could make some of the gorgeous quilts I see here on the boards.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

I agree we need to step away from a project when it is no longer fun to do and come back to it. My problem is coming back to it. That is why I have so many UFO's. LOL
Old 04-11-2013, 05:50 AM

Put it away for awhile. When you come back to it it will be better.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:09 AM

I am so glad you found someone to help you. I am still not brave enough to try a lone star so I admire your courage.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 AM

Yael , Part of the problem may be that the Mariner's Cross Is a very difficult pattern. If you can finish it, more power to you! I hope that the advice given here helps, along with the private lessons. Will you post pictures when you you finish them? Jamickie
Old 04-11-2013, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I tell everyone, I am "perfectly iMpErfECt". I try to do my best and sometimes surprise myself. If I get overwhelmed, I step away and go do something else. Maybe go outside with a cup of coffee and get some fresh air and watch my dogs play and try to catch the squirrels they simply can't reach. When I'm ready I go back to what I was doing (maybe) or something else.