Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very Frustrated >

Very Frustrated

Very Frustrated

Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM

You will get better ideas from the more experienced folk, but before you do anything drastic, look at the back of the piece. Try finger-pressing the seams different ways and see if any relieve the problem.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM

We are our harshest judge. I'm sure that what you see as errors or imperfection would not even be noticed by another viewer. And as a previous poster said, perhaps your vision exceeds your current skill level. And that's okay, because as you work on this project your skill level will develop with each block.

My first quilt was 4" squares with a ruffle. I had no clue - nothing lined up. I wanted something that looked like the perfect quilts I had seen in magazines and at quilt shows and frustrated myself because what I saw in my head wasn't what I was producing. Fast forward a few years and I like what I'm making, but I'll never produce what some of the ladies on this board can do, and that gives me something to which I can aspire. You will too, and have fun learning at the same time.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
You may be too much of a perfectionist for your level of development as a quilter. I know that my skills development was held up many years by me being too perfectionistic. I would put a quilt away as a UFO when it did not meet my expectations. It's actually better to "power through" and finish quilts even if they contain mistakes. Everyone learns by making mistakes. I have learned to just keep going and, on the next quilt, figure out a way to avoid the mistake or do the technique better.
Amen to that! Quit for a while and go back to it. You'll get it.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:55 AM

Having followed your progress on your mariners star, I will stop my drooling long enough to hit you with a wet noodle! That quilt is a fantastic achievement, dear girl, and you are doing a fantastic job. Deep breath, walk away for a bit, eat chocolate. Then send me the finished quilt and I promise I will see no flaws in it, hee hee. I once made a serious error in constructing a quilt block after cutting out 36 of them. So it became the NEW quilt block pattern, and no one knew any different. Remember this is supposed to be fun,ok?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 AM

FWIW:

My mother had quite a few sayings but she told me this one when I had a similar problem:

Man on horseback, running for his life, will never stop to notice a thing like that

If it's perfect, the devil's in it
Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
FWIW:

My mother had quite a few sayings but she told me this one when I had a similar problem:

Man on horseback, running for his life, will never stop to notice a thing like that

If it's perfect, the devil's in it
This made me smile.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:51 AM

I know exactly what you mean about running into problems continually! What has really worked for me is having a quilter penpal. A couple of years ago I pm a person whose quilt she posted opened up some new ideas for me. She responded and we became "penpals". Our conversations go way beyond quilting, but when I run into a problem, be it finding a certain type of fabric, or how to....... whatever..... she often has an answer for me. I have another group I meet with each month and I'm learning a lot from them just by looking at what they are doing and asking questions. This group seems a bit reluctant to make direct suggestions, but rather say things like, "What an interesting way to have done this!" and, upon my questioning, proceed to tell me how they would have done it (easier, smoother....). So I'd advise you to get in touch with other quilters and ASK about your specific (current at the time) problem. My quilter friends have become extremely important to me, more because of the friendship (I've been a loner much of my life, except for DH and the kids) but also because they can bale you out of what ever hole you've fallen into.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 AM

I don't know whether this will help but with every quilt I've ever made, I reach a point where I just hate it. There is something that I could have one better, would have done differently, should have been more careful about. And then, I finish it, knowing where every little flaw is (and feel compelled to point them out to people). It's just something that some of us do. Try to quit beating up on yourself. I'm sure your quilt will be beautiful and, trust me, people will never notice the things that are driving you crazy. You'll figure this problem out. Just be gentle with yourself and give yourself a little time. If you have a quilt group, take it in. I find that the women I quilt with can almost always come up with ideas for a solution.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by yweinst View Post
I feel like with every quilt I have made I get to a point where I am very frustrated. Being new to sewing and quilting I am not able to trouble shoot everything as well as I want and right now I know I have a problem but don't know how to fix it.

I am so frustrated. My mom who has sewn for decades told me that that is the charm of handmade pieces but to me I that isn't a good enough answer.

Sorry , I've just worked so hard on this particular quilt and it was working so well and now I feel that I'm not doing it right...

Yael
I sew because I want to. I do get frustrated with the sewing machine or the fabric or my constantly misplacing equipment but seldom with sewing itself.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:23 AM

Oh my gosh, I feel the same way sometimes. I started sewing in high school and made quite a bit of my clothes during my early 20's. I gave it all up for cross stitch and needlepoint and am now back to quilting in my late 40's. I look back at the clothes I made and have absolutely no idea how I made them, I'm drawing a blank and am in awe that I was able to do it.

The quilting came slowly to me because I don't like to read instructions very well (heh heh). Breathe, put it aside and start something small, once you finish that you will feel better that you accomplished something and then go back to the big project. I have a closet full of those big projects that frustrated me.