Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very overwhelmed with hand quilting my queen size >

Very overwhelmed with hand quilting my queen size

Very overwhelmed with hand quilting my queen size

Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 AM
Power Poster

I have a strong prefference for only hand quilting smaller quilts. If you are not enjoying the largeness of it why not machine quilt this one and save the hand quilting for a project you enjoy working on that way. Anna
Old 10-31-2010, 12:39 AM

Don't worry do it the way you feel most comfortable there is no law that says you have to hand quilt - must admit I always do because I am so bad at machine quilting used to feel inadequate because I couldn't but now I just do it in my own sweet way a queen size can be daunting but I set myself 3 evenings a week to quilt something big and before I know it - its done - just enjoy whichever way you decide to go
Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
The first few quilts I ever made were hand quilted and I have to brag that the stitches looked really nice. These were also baby quilts. The problem is that recently I have machine quilted quite a few quilts and they turned out great and were finished so quickly. I really wanted to hand quilt my queen size Civil War reproduction, but I'm not enjoying it at all. It's so large and I just keep staring at the largeness of it. My hubby keeps telling me that back in the olden days they may have machine quilted more if they had our technology. I don't know why I'm feeling upset by this change of heart. Does anyone else feel that they "should" handquilt, but they don't want to?
Old 10-31-2010, 12:45 AM

Do what feels right for you on this quilt...after all quilting is supposed to be enjoyed!
I am currently hand quilting a queen-size triple irish chain, my first handquilting since taking one class. I'm not in a hurry to have it finished and am really enjoying it. I only do about one block a week, that's all I have time for but when I pick it up the next time and see what I've done...it always makes me smile..

Just do what you enjoy.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:47 AM

I'm also hand-quilting a queen size. I decided to hand quilt because I just can't imagine wrestling this quilt under my machine. At first it seemed overwhelming, but I found myself enjoying it! Block by block it's getting done. There is no deadline and I just enjoy the process. I think once you get started and see some progress you'll feel better about it.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:32 AM

Today we are in a lucky situation: we have the choice between machine and hand quilting and we can decide what we prefer to do. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages and I think it is better not to care too much what we should do or should not or what other people tell us to do. For me it's important to enjoy my quilt work!
Old 10-31-2010, 03:50 AM

I wanted to hand quilt a quilt on the proverbial quilting frame. I started when my husband gave me a quilting frame for my birthday. Didn't work for me. So I went back to my favorite 16" round hoop! It would have worked and I would have enjoyed myself immensely, but since the last one I did by hand I developed osteo-arthritis in both hands, specially on the index fingers and have a bone spur on each finger, the right finger is now quite misshapen. It doesn't stop me from embroidering. Actually it doesn't bother me at all one bit, but the pushing through the top, batting and backing hurts like H***! So, I had it machined quilted by a very good longarm-er!!!!! She does it exactly the way I like it. I find that you can beat yourself up unnecessarily. If it doesn't work one way, try another. Don't give up on the quilt or yourself. There is always another way. And just because you can't, for one reason or another, hand quilt a quilt, doesn't mean you are not a quilter. Edie
Old 10-31-2010, 05:15 AM

I 3 going in the quilting phase right now. One is being hand quilted, one on my Janome and one on the quilting machine. I work on which ever one I am in the mood for.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:37 AM

A large quilt can be overwelming but there is great deal of satisfaction when it is done. Think of it as number of blocks to do and not as the entire quilt. I usually hand quilt the main part and have been known to machine quilt the borders. I know I could never be comfortable fitting an entire quilt into my sewing machine.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:55 AM

Thanks for all the support. I did take the few hand stitches I had made out and started machine quilting it last night. I have a number of mini quilts and wall hangings that I may reserve for hand quilting. I was much happier getting several rows done last night! Thanks everyone!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

I like to work on several things at once so I do feel like I'm making progress on something. I know big quilts seem to take forever to hand quilt though. If you aren't enjoying the process...I'd say, by all means, do it by machine and move on to something you like doing. Our crafting time is limited you know!