Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very overwhelmed with hand quilting my queen size >

Very overwhelmed with hand quilting my queen size

Very overwhelmed with hand quilting my queen size

Old 10-31-2010, 06:08 AM

Since you say this is Civil War, I hope you stick with the hand quilting. It goes with the "theme" of the quilt. Like these others, do what you are comfortable doing but I think you will be pleased with the outcome if you take it one block at a time and hand quilt this one.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:09 AM

I'm hand quilting a VERY large king quilt at the moment, but it's taken me three years to get to this point. I've done numerous smaller quilts, but just couldn't bring myself to wrestle with this monster quilt,lol. Once I got started and set myself a goal of a few blocks a day(I stop at this time even if I feel like I could do more) and have it over half done. I've only been quilting on this since the beginning of Sept. and could possibly have it done by the end of the year(or sooner I hope). I loved doing the smaller quilts, but this one was overwhelming until I really got started and I'm sooooo glad that I've stuck with it. I've also gotten several other larger quilt tops ready to hand quilt this winter and I'm soooo looking forward to doing them. Please post us a pic of your finished quilt and do what you want, it's your quilt!!!
Old 10-31-2010, 02:39 PM

Do what you feel most comfortable doing - If I hand quilted, I would never get it done - I love handwork and let that be my source instead of quilting.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
The first few quilts I ever made were hand quilted and I have to brag that the stitches looked really nice. These were also baby quilts. The problem is that recently I have machine quilted quite a few quilts and they turned out great and were finished so quickly. I really wanted to hand quilt my queen size Civil War reproduction, but I'm not enjoying it at all. It's so large and I just keep staring at the largeness of it. My hubby keeps telling me that back in the olden days they may have machine quilted more if they had our technology. I don't know why I'm feeling upset by this change of heart. Does anyone else feel that they "should" handquilt, but they don't want to?
If it's the hand quilted look that you want and feel overwhelmed - you might check with a senior activity center around - the one in our area has a quilting frame that is always full they have a small fee they charge that helps keep their budget in the black and it's great fun to sit around it with the other ladies and take a turn. It's just a thought.... you never know
Old 10-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

set it aside and work on something else, go back to it during the winter when you may enjoy the process of sitting with it over your lap quilting along. and it will take awhile, but it will be worth it. when you find you are forcing your self to work on something it is time to take a break from it and do something different.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:54 AM

Handquilting was normally done by groups (back in the old days - smile). Solo hand quiliting is laborious and not nearly as much fun. I vote for machines!!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by CindyBee
I'm also hand-quilting a queen size. I decided to hand quilt because I just can't imagine wrestling this quilt under my machine. At first it seemed overwhelming, but I found myself enjoying it! Block by block it's getting done. There is no deadline and I just enjoy the process. I think once you get started and see some progress you'll feel better about it.
I agree with you on this one. When I started out I did everything by machine, but so often it turned into "WORK". Right now I am handquilting my second hand pieced quilt which is queen size. I have no deadline, I'm doing the quilt for enjoyment. My husband often says wouldn't it be faster to machine it. My response is I quilt for fun. I have a job that is work. That being said, I mix and match. Machine when I feel like it, hand quilt when I feel like it. Your artwork is your decision, there is no wrong answer.