Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage Quilt Top Find! >

Vintage Quilt Top Find!

Vintage Quilt Top Find!

Old 03-29-2016, 09:27 AM

Don't know about date, but sure is lovely. Need to add to my ever growing list of some days. Thanks for rescuing this great quilt.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
The Missouri Daisy has a much smaller center. I am just amazed at the piecing on this. So perfect. The center octagons are perfectly pieced in too. No points missing in the stars.

The fabrics actually look older in person. They have a crepe-y texture. Definitely not 70's nor 80's. I may need to have it appraised. I am going to Paducah for quilt week in April. Is there someone there who appraises quilts?

Yes. http://www.quiltweek.com/appraisal-information/
I agree, the prints themselves are definitely not 70's/80's. I love working with repro's. There is a LQS by me that only sells reproduction fabrics & they are all so beautiful. I found out from my grandmother that one of the 30's repro prints I picked for my niece's quilt was the exact same pattern her mother had used from feedsacks to make her a dress when she was a little girl. There is just so much rich & beautiful history in them!

The solid white fabric is brighter than what would have been used in the 30's or 40's. In the 30's, it was a cream color that was used & in the 40's it was an off-white. By the 50's, that bright white started to be used. I noticed the texture of the pink fabric. I'm thinking it might be cotton voile, which would have been popular in the 50's/60's. I took on a customer quilt using that fabric & it's a beast to work with. If your top is from that era, it's in far better condition than my client's fabric was (it was an old duvet cover that was sort-of turned into a queen sized quilt & she wanted baby quilts out of it).

Hers was also a cotton-poly blend which made it extra hard to work with, but in any case, if you do find out it's voile, I would maybe consider adding a stabilizer to it before you layer & quilt it. Misty Fuse is ultra-lightweight & does a great job of maintaining the hand of the fabric. That would allow you to use & hand wash the quilt without worrying about damaging such frail fabric. It would also keep the fabric from fraying or stretching out of shape if you plan to use a hoop or a frame. I haven't hand quilted with Misty Fuse, but it's easy to do hand applique with it so I assume it would be okay. It would also help prevent bearding which commonly occurs with the looser weave fabrics from the 30's & 40's (they're also more prone to fray & snag because of that looser weave). If you don't use a stabilizer, I'd go with the smallest needle reasonably possible.

Do you know what color thread are you going to use for the quilting? So many beautiful options. Natural is always a nice color -- or that pale pink in the white areas & white in the pink/green areas. Probably a bunch of other options I haven't even thought of. So exciting! I can't wait to see what you do with it!
Old 03-29-2016, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

Thanks so much, Bree. When I quilt it I won't use a hoop or frame, just quilt it in my lap. I'm not a great hand quilter, by any means, but I think the quilt calls for it.

The white is not as stark white as it appears in the first photos. They were taken at the antique mall under their florescent lights. At home the white looks a bit more creamy and it's got a texture like fine muslin. I'm pretty sure the pink is all cotton. Sure doesn't feel like a blend.

I've been studying fabrics from different eras online and I'm really leaning towards the 50's. Like these were grandma's dresses in the 50's that she used for a quilt. Can't wait to hear what an appraiser will say.

Here are a few more close ups to show the fabrics better.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]546404[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]546405[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]546406[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]546407[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc02366.jpg   dsc02367.jpg   dsc02368.jpg   dsc02369.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

i love this star quilt. almost looks like ajewel shape in EPP. Please show us the finished quilt.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:37 PM

It's very pretty
Old 03-30-2016, 03:10 AM

I have used a couple of these prints. Believe they are the 70's.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:11 AM

I have been to Paducah and seen the appraiser but can't tell you anything except to call and ask. They are very good at knowing what is going on there.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

Unless I am mistaken, this looks like another one. Love this web site. Thanks Maniac

http://www.cindysantiquequilts.com/dynapage/IP777.htm
Old 03-30-2016, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
I'm thinking of the 70's or 80's.
I was thinking 70's ish as well. Very pretty.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:48 AM

COOL quilt top! Nice find!

Nan