Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Parts

Billy,
    I just went to a big indoor yard sale and I found some old vintage sewing machine parts. They are Greist sewing machine attachments. I have 4 boxes full of attachemnet. If you are interested let me know.

I need a 4th inch foot and a walking foot for my older New Home which I bought new in 1973. Just love the way it sews.

Blog Entries
    I have two FW and need a couple of things, I need a handle for a FW case. The handle on one of mine is broken into. I also a couple of latches for the cases

Hi Billy,
    I need a bobbin winder hook thingy that fits on the machine bed near the hand wheel for a White Family Rotary machine. I was missing when I purchased the machine and would like to replace it. The thread comes from the spool, down into this thing (that's missing) and then up to the bobbin. I apologize for not knowing the correct name of the part but I feel that you know exactly what I am talking about. If you come across one I would be grateful! Also it would be nice in your parts store if you included treadle belts. OH! And I could really use a 99K case! Heidi

Power Poster
    wow this sounds like a great idea

Dee
    How wonderful. Slide plate for treadle machine and needles.

Hi! I am interested in a knee rod controller or knee lever for my Singer 99-13. I would be thrilled if I could get one
    Thanks!
    Iquilter

I need bobbins for my featherweight and needles for the industrial machine (70's vintage).

Also I know of a 'little ole man' (in his 90s) with a 'garage full'. If you would like to contact him, I'll get my coworker to give me the contact info. Apparently he was the long time repair person for the local sewing factory before it closed, and everyone in town brought him their old machines to refurbish or use for parts as appropriate. He worked on a couple of machines for me before he completely got out of doing it...charged me $15 for the one that was not stitching correctly and $17.50 for the one that needed the motor replaced!

Just got a Signer 201.... I know I will need some parts! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2sew4fun
    Just got a Signer 201.... I know I will need some parts! lol
    Ooops Singer.... {grin}

My significant other has caught the vintage machine bug! Came home Saturday with a yard sale find -- a 1941 Singer Model 66-16(?). Based on what this machine needs, and what I've seen others ask for on this Board, we need:
    - method of determining the exact model number (i.e., the Singer site only gave us the "66" but our search for a manual shows variations of this model)
    - rubber belts (bobbin winder and main one)
    - sliding bobbin plate
    - machine manual (managed to find one online but a long search! Also, all the manuals feature the same black picture of the machine where the details of what the arrow is pointing to are almost impossible to see -- can you take a better picture and create your own manual??)

The machine is also terribly filthy. Perhaps you could create "kits" with suitable cleaning agent for the body, proper oil, instructions on where to oil (or include a copy of one of your tutorials), etc.

Our machine is also designed to sit in a cabinet but didn't come with one. Do you know any good woodworkers (or maybe yourself) who can build a base (that sits on a table) or, provide plans on how to build one?

That's all I can think of for now. Its wonderful that you're going into this business!! You already have potential customers who trust you!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    My significant other has caught the vintage machine bug! Came home Saturday with a yard sale find -- a 1941 Singer Model 66-16(?). Based on what this machine needs, and what I've seen others ask for on this Board, we need:
    - method of determining the exact model number (i.e., the Singer site only gave us the "66" but our search for a manual shows variations of this model)
    - rubber belts (bobbin winder and main one)
    - sliding bobbin plate
    - machine manual (managed to find one online but a long search! Also, all the manuals feature the same black picture of the machine where the details of what the arrow is pointing to are almost impossible to see -- can you take a better picture and create your own manual??)

The machine is also terribly filthy. Perhaps you could create "kits" with suitable cleaning agent for the body, proper oil, instructions on where to oil (or include a copy of one of your tutorials), etc.

Our machine is also designed to sit in a cabinet but didn't come with one. Do you know any good woodworkers (or maybe yourself) who can build a base (that sits on a table) or, provide plans on how to build one?

That's all I can think of for now. Its wonderful that you're going into this business!! You already have potential customers who trust you!
    Okay this is going to be a definite go for me, and I am fixing to drop some serious cash into the parts and supplies and I am already in the process of buying land to build a facility to house everything along with a few other services that I have yet to announce!

Now if you are wanting parts PM me and then I can get back to you per your request. I can supply 3/4 of what your asking for no problem. But it has to be through PM so I can keep track of everything.

Billy

Hubby bought me a Bernina 850. Don't have a clue how to use it. (Semi-industrial model). Been searching all over internet for info. Ordered an instruction manual. Okay...so...it looks like it need a GOOD cleaning first of all, then maybe some parts. It is working. Will wait until I get the manual, but any info on where to look for any kind of info on this model....let me know.
    Cat Spring MawMaw

I just bought a featherwight in really good condition, but the case has not faired so well. So I could use a new case.

I wrote last week trying to buy an oval oil can that was original with a Feather Weight I know it will be expensive but I already bought one thru EBAY and got took .
    Surprised I had no replies.

Billie, I have a candy box of parts that I was keeping until I could find someone that could use them.
    Now in Can. Planned to mail to you when I get to USA due to shipping costs---not concerned about profit just didn't want them wasted.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mornigstar
    I wrote last week trying to buy an oval oil can that was original with a Feather Weight I know it will be expensive but I already bought one thru EBAY and got took .
    Surprised I had no replies.

Billie, I have a candy box of parts that I was keeping until I could find someone that could use them.
    Now in Can. Planned to mail to you when I get to USA due to shipping costs---not concerned about profit just didn't want them wasted.
    Does the box still have the candy?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you so much and I would love to have them. Who knows it might have something in there that I could use for one of my machines. That is how I got into this whole parts thing because I was buying parts and keeping them for my machines when I could find them at a good price. But then I realized that nobody caters to the vintage machines (all makes) so here I go!

I am talking to several manufacturers right now trying to see what it takes to be a distributor. So far I have had some really good response from them and I wish I could tell you the big picture right now but I am not letting the cat out of the bag quite yet. But I promise you guys will really like it, and will be the first to know.

Billy

Congratulations Billy! I have a feeling this will be very successful! As an owner of 3 Featherweights, a Red Eye Treadle and another old old machine, I will be in touch with you also for parts in the future. Wishing you the best.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I need the part for the needle, The sewing machine that was given to me, has know foot and power cord, our the little part that holds the needle in. God bless.

Will you also have things like handles for a vintage singer cabinet? I can email you a picture of the one I am looking for. Please let me know. Thanks

Hi Billy, am excited about your new parts shop.

I need a stop motion knob for my Eldredge B. Also some Boye 14 needles.

What a great idea! Vintage - hard to find - needles, bobbins, feet; these come to mind quickly. What about a kit with instructions and products for cleaning/servicing machines for those brave enough to do that? (I haven't gotten to that category yet, but can't find the products you have mentioned here in my neck of the woods.) I am sure there are a lot of other things...

At this point I still am lucky enough to have an OSMG near enough to travel to, but I have no idea how long that will last. I am glad you are going to do this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    At this point I still am lucky enough to have an OSMG near enough to travel to, but I have no idea how long that will last. I am glad you are going to do this.
    I am having fun doing this to be honest with you. And just like the VSMS thread I run my business the same way.......like a small town parts store. I will promise you that it will be run like businesses were back in the '40s and '50's where the customer comes first and long as your happy so am I.

Remember getting freebies from the parts stores and dealers years ago?

I am going to do the same thing with mine, I will be giving away Calenders, Thimbles, Small Tape Measures, Pocket Notebooks and Yardsticks! Basically I am going to recreate the era in my business.

But this is not the entire business I am also going several services but they will not be revealed until I get back from my trip and get the land purchased. :thumbup:

But I have met and talked to some really nice folks since I have started this and I want to thank you guys for the support and well wishes!!

And Rachael I will post a photo of the garage wall for you later today. :wink:

Billy

Blog Entries
    I just saw an old SINGER in the cabinet ( a little bit worn looking) at a Goodwill store........should I have purchased it? it was $10.00 for all of it.......no idea if it worked or not and they didnt know either...........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Alright sounds like we are getting an idea of parts I need to carry. I have 6 different suppliers that I use and I can get almost anything along with me fixing to buy out a couple of OSMG's so I should have some parts to work with.

If you have any request for parts right now just PM me and we can go from there. But on this thread I am just curious what your ultimate parts store/service center would carry for the vintage machines.

Billy
    I want one of the OSMG's!!! Parts optional...lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cjaye44
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Alright sounds like we are getting an idea of parts I need to carry. I have 6 different suppliers that I use and I can get almost anything along with me fixing to buy out a couple of OSMG's so I should have some parts to work with.

If you have any request for parts right now just PM me and we can go from there. But on this thread I am just curious what your ultimate parts store/service center would carry for the vintage machines.

Billy
    I want one of the OSMG's!!! Parts optional...lol
    I am not that old yet but I am a sewing machine guy!! :lol: :lol:

That is how I ended up starting this venture because I was tired of having to buy parts from vendors for all of these vintage machines I service for folks. I figured if I owned the parts store then thats one less thing I have to deal with. Plus it brings in more revenue....

Billy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast