Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Quilt Retreat - March Edition 3-22-13

I'm not using the suggested variation of colors. I'm using a fat eights bundle I had and I'm loving how it looks. It's bright and cheery. I will have to pick up fabric for the backing.

I'm so excited, the first half of my runner is done!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Before I go any furthermore , my center square looks a little plain should I add something else to it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashjoy View Post
    Before I go any furthermore , my center square looks a little plain should I add something else to it?
    Wait till you quilt it, you can do some decorative stitches in the center when quilting it. I would do a box around that circle in the center, just one or even two rows of stitching in the center would give that a huge punch great job

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vickig626 View Post
    You've also given me some inspiration on making a neutrals for my step daughter. Wasn't sure how it would turn out but you gave me some ideas of color choices.

Uh oh! addiction has set in this design is so easy to get addicted to, and produces some stunning results. Great job, love the colors!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
    If I didn't have this many matching colors, how would it look in rainbow 30's prints?
    The colors dont have to match. You may do what ever makes you happy. I personally like matching, but that is me. A rainbow of 30's prints would be nice I think. Just start with either side of the rainbow and go through to the other.
    Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

Maybe a simple appliquéd square of the white under the plate might make it look a little more dramatic? (it's just a tad small for the green square IMHO )

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Maybe a simple appliquéd square of the white under the plate might make it look a little more dramatic? (it's just a tad small for the green square IMHO )
    I don't know how to appliqué, so maybe some decorative stitching when I quilt it will do the trick.

Amazing! Amazing! Amazing! Love everyones. Love the Hombre, the PP, the 30's fabric. Now you have me rethinking the center, darn I planned the whole thing around the panel. No, sticking with the original idea. You guys are so far ahead, havn't even started yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    Amazing! Amazing! Amazing! Love everyones. Love the Hombre, the PP, the 30's fabric. Now you have me rethinking the center, darn I planned the whole thing around the panel. No, sticking with the original idea. You guys are so far ahead, havn't even started yet.
    You can always make more they are very quick and easy. I am planning on making a few to donate to our guilds show for their silent auction, but will embroider the center squares its much easier than piecing it. lol

Wow Vicki that is so beautiful!!!! and I don't even like pinks that much but you have made it so tempting to try one.
    Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
    That is amazing!! looks great. French Braid quilts are addictive so be careful!

Careful with the center vs strip width, you dont want the braids to overpower the center block. I generally keep a finished 1.5" with any center block less than 10". Once I start getting up to 10" centers I bump up the strips to 2". Yours works as is just wanted to add that tidbit for everyone.

And you can put tassels on the end points and let it hang over the table
    Thanks so much for all your advise. I've been working at this all day and now I have 3 UFO blocks that after making them, I didn't like so I gave up on trying to piece one and cheated with my embroidery machine. I'm now ready to start again in the morning, center is done and all strips are cut at 2" wide.

Looks like a lot was accomplished. They all look great. Today was our first day of "Open Quilt". We arranged for a room and put out the word. There were 4 of us today.Name:  Rhonda, Laura, Judy, Audrey.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  1.97 MB We had a lot of fun getting to know each other. Everyone's excited and wanted to put out more flyers. For my project, YES! the table runner. Name:  Table runner.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  1.91 MBThe center was a fussy cut flower. Super easy. It did go very fast. Even got some of the quilting done. Then, on to a baby shower and just got home. It's almost 10PM here. Tomorrow, I get to spend some time with my daughter, after seeing daffodil hill-it's in full bloom. Sunday is Church, lunch, talk with a contractor and Bible Study. So that's it for sewing this weekend. I'm ready to do it again. Do you plan to do it next month? The forth weekend is April 26-28.

Wow!! love the corners on the center block

I just found this group and joined today. I want to join this it will be a good chance to learn how to upload photos. I am a technology dinosaur at times. See you Saturday

Off to bed now to dream of fabric choices

Blog Entries
    petthefabric.....that is stunning! very good job! and looks like you had alot of fun with the other ladies in the open sew.

Songbird, if you would like the PDF version of the instructions, please just PM an email address and I will email it out to you. You have plenty of time to join in

ok I was up at 6am (now that's an all time record for me, it's usually 9 before I even think about it).
    Anyway, I restarted the new one I had made the embroidery for and while I was doing it, I got to thinking "Why not make it reversible?"

SO now that I have the first side done, I'm working on a back side. Here's the first side:

Am I glowing yet? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
    Dede, I would strongly recommend you bringing it up, it takes a whopping 1min to stitch 2 seams, then iron. I spend more time getting up/down than I do ironing and sewing and my ironing board is behind my chair...lol
    I use a portable ironing table made from a tv tray and padded top, a small iron...next to my machine, sure saves these old bones lots of getting up and down.

Blog Entries
    I'm not using the suggested variation of colors. I'm using a fat eights bundle I had and I'm loving how it looks. It's bright and cheery. I will have to pick up fabric for the backing.

I'm so excited, the first half of my runner is done!
    I LOVE it !!! I also like bright colors and the cute center dresden. This would work with jelly rolls too....just a little wider (2-1/2" strips).
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
    Wow Vicki that is so beautiful!!!! and I don't even like pinks that much but you have made it so tempting to try one.
    Great job!
    Thanks. I'm not a big pink fan either but tickled how pretty this fabric worked up. Can't wait to do the teal one. I'm loving all the runners too. This will definitely be the plan for Christmas gifts this year, along with smaller version for placemats.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Just Gorgeous. Have to get going.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
    ok I was up at 6am (now that's an all time record for me, it's usually 9 before I even think about it).
    Anyway, I restarted the new one I had made the embroidery for and while I was doing it, I got to thinking "Why not make it reversible?"

SO now that I have the first side done, I'm working on a back side. Here's the first side:

Am I glowing yet? LOL
    That looks lovely! and yes you are glowing there

One hint, if you are making this reversible, I would recommend doing decorative stitches or the serpentine for the quilting. You might not get all the lines from the braids lined up front to back. I personally love the serpentine stitch, it hides a TON of wonky piecing

Everyone has such pretty runners developing, such fun to see the different colors. I have been working on my purple runner. Had a hard time deciding what to do for the center block, put waaayyy to much thinking into it. Last night I made a block, but it is a 12 inch block (oops, too big!). Now, Carolyn said I could still make the runner, but use 2.5" x 12.5" and 2.5" accent squares, but that means another trip to the LQS. So, this morning I made an 8" block. I had the strips laid out, then the kitty inspector decided he didn't like the order I had them in...he put them in a pile so I can start again. *sigh*

Finally, I am going to start sewing these braids!
    Lynda Rae

"One who makes no mistakes -- never makes anything!" Author Unknown

ok I'm back with the 2nd side. Your were so right Carolyn, this is so addicting!
    I thought I'd let you know how my thought process is going here.

While making the 1st side with the wreath (called Summer Wreath) I noticed it could not only be used as a summer wreath but add a little 4th of July decorations and you are set for the holiday as well. That got me to thinking about other holidays. The white tiny rounds and splashes on the center block reminded me of making bubbles in the summer with my kids when they were young but they also look like snow balls in the winter. So guess what? The back is a winter theme with snow people. Now I will have to make another one with Spring on one side and Fall on the other. Gee how did this get so out of control???? I will wait untill later to figure out the 2nd set, it might take a bit longer to decide on how to incorporate both using similar colors.

So here are the Snow People!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire_Rae View Post
    Everyone has such pretty runners developing, such fun to see the different colors. I have been working on my purple runner. Had a hard time deciding what to do for the center block, put waaayyy to much thinking into it. Last night I made a block, but it is a 12 inch block (oops, too big!). Now, Carolyn said I could still make the runner, but use 2.5" x 12.5" and 2.5" accent squares, but that means another trip to the LQS. So, this morning I made an 8" block. I had the strips laid out, then the kitty inspector decided he didn't like the order I had them in...he put them in a pile so I can start again. *sigh*

Finally, I am going to start sewing these braids!

I like that block.

petthefabric, you ladies are doing a great job and I just love that rose runner.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast