Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--5/23-5/27/19 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--5/23-5/27/19

Virtual Quilting Weekend--5/23-5/27/19

Old 05-27-2019, 09:44 AM

Love the pictures and ideas from all. I'm playing games on the computer with the hubby right now instead of sewing, so while I did get the new/extra fabric washed and pressed no further progress has been made on this weekend's top. So here is what I was working on last time (I think), what I so imaginatively call the Purple Quilt. 42 12" blocks, each a different purple with about 16 different white on whites, this was an all-stash project. While it looks like it would be perfect for jelly rolls, if you use rectangles to make the diagonal connection you need 44" of fabric. If you cut the points you have to be very careful to not fold the fabric when you cut the points or else they won't face the right way, that takes a full 42" of fabric. I've found that I can't depend on more than 40" of usable width, sure -- some fabrics have more but a lot you can't even get 42".

The border fabric is a 43rd purple and uses all the same white-on-white, except the piece was cut badly and I ended up just one 2.5" WoF short. I only needed to make two blocks but made the four corner blocks from a similar but brighter piece of white-on-white. It's not so stark in real life but really shows up on the camera! You can see it in the picture with the wild back I will be using. I do love wild backs! I do a lot of my shopping at thrift stores and I just can't think of a better use for some of them other than as one of my backs
Attached Thumbnails purple-top-done.jpg   purple-wild-back.jpg  
Old 05-27-2019, 10:54 AM

I have enjoyed seeing what everyone else has been working on, so many beautiful projects = lots of inspiration.

I decided not to play with the D4P and instead pulled out some UFO crumb blocks and stitched them together to form a square table topper. Just finished sandwiching it and will quilt it tomorrow once the spray baste has had time to set up. Yesterday I pulled out another UFO and got some of the larger blocks put together. I will eventually either turn these into a D4P or D9P depending on what fabrics I decide I want to put with them. Between these two projects I will be able to finish two UFOs by the end of this week and also will have reduced my stash since I'm shopping it for backing fabrics for my UFOs- win-win!!!

Now I'm off to my folks house where DH and I are preparing a Memorial Day/ Belated Birthday cookout for my mom.

Thanks for hosting RaggieMom- I look forward to these VQWs every month!

Rob
Old 05-27-2019, 02:25 PM

You're so welcome, Rob! I enjoy hosting these every month, seeing what others are working on usually inspires me as well. I finished another quilt today and have three more sandwiched and ready to quilt. Hopefully they will be done by the end of the week. That leaves just one quilt hanging on the upstairs railing! And that one will be sandwiched once I piece the back. I am so happy with what I accomplished this weekend. I wasn't on the computer much which is why I was able to finally get some stuff done . See you all next month!
Old 05-27-2019, 04:54 PM

Thanks, Raggiemom. You really accomplished a lot! I got tickled when you mentioned hanging unfinished quilts on you upstairs railing. That's when mine hang out also. I have four of them looking down at me this very minute!

I was very lazy this weekend. I started with 6 baby quilt tops and planned to sandwich them all, but little things kept popping up to distract me. I sandwiched, tied, and started the binding on only 2 of them.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:54 PM

As this Memorial day weekend comes to a close I have not quite met my goal but should be done by tomorrow. I have both baby quilts quilted and the binding on one 3/4th of the way completed. I just pooped out for the evening and must rest so I don't burn out on this project. One quilt left to bind and then the labels to put on and these will be ready to take to my next guild meeting. I also have 2 receiving blankets to make those will be easy enough to finish in a heart beat. I hope to have pictures for here in the next day or so. I am proud of everything I got accomplished this weekend. I needed this forum to get me going I feel very successful.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:14 PM

I didn't have much time to sew this weekend with flower shopping, planting, weeding, a shelf falling down, etc, but I did get three rows sewn together and the other 3 done. I've started the border, too. Yes, I know it's bright, but I like it. I am concerned about how to quilt the open spaces. FMQ isn't my strong point. Put one border on the prayer quilt, too, and made a quick trip to Hobby Lobby to buy fabric for the next border.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]613327[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails irish-chain.jpg  

Last edited by Irishrose2; 05-27-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:34 AM

Irishrose2, you certainly got a lot more done than I did...I spent the whole weekend outdoors and didn’t even turn the lights on to my sewing studio. Love the colors of your Irish Chain quilt.

Looks like many QB members utilized VQW and accomplished some great sewing. Raggiemom, we look forward to next months VQW.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:43 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]613359[/ATTACH]Top is done. Thanks to Kim's fabrics that had one more yard of that purple. Marcia
Attached Thumbnails 20190528_182205_resized.jpg  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:59 PM

That’s beautiful, Marcia!
Old 05-29-2019, 06:56 AM

Yay me! A couple of days short but just now I got the last of the Wonky Bright 3-piece strata done. I think I adequately blended in the new fabrics with the originals and that the way I will be assembling the strata into the blocks will also disperse them throughout the top.

So next step will be combining the first set of strata with the third, then the last set and they will be blocks. Once the blocks are done it will be worth taking a picture before trimming them but you can still not see my vision by my strata.

I'm trying to be more improvisational than my usual style of OCD quilting When the blocks are done I will just randomly join them into two-block sets and build them into rows (6x7 rows) and try to resist the temptation to layout the quilt top -- if like fabrics end up touching each other, so be it. If all the orange ends up in one corner, well then it was meant to be that way! I do have my one seams matching/fussy cut block, that will still go in the bottom left corner, but other than that there is no plan...