Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--5/23-5/27/19 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--5/23-5/27/19

Virtual Quilting Weekend--5/23-5/27/19

Old 05-24-2019, 04:55 AM

Looking forward to spending the weekend quilting. Have several projects I'm working on. A single and double irish chain (from the quilt-along here). Hoping to cut more 2 1/2" squares. I have several tops needing sandwiched so I'll see how far I get on all these projects.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:09 AM

My family down the street will be in Chicago for a Cubs game and will stay over and just enjoy themselves so I will be all alone. The VQW is just what I needed! I am working on 2 quilts with many pieces each. What was I thinking? One is Pam Buda’s 1800 quilt I have the 600+ 9-patch blocks made (2 1/2”) now I need to cut out the background. I am making this with a group at a LQS and we are now tasked with making a small quilt for next meeting and having 2 rows put together. The other quilt I am making is from the latest issue of BH&G called “Sew Many Strips”. I have made the 64 blocks and have 3 rows together..5 more to go, then the borders. Sigh. I am also hand quilting a small Irish Chain lap quilt so I have a lot to do.

Hang in there, Battle Axe. Wishing you better soon and back “on the road again”.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:58 AM

Looking Good, Battle Axe!

I'll spend some time trying to figure out what to do with some UFO panels that I bought years ago. I've cut apart the images and was going to make a table runner, but just not sure that's what I want to do with them. If so, it'll be a plain Jane rectangular one, or maybe a square one and some placemats or napkins???? If I can get that one out of the way then I've got a quilt that needs to be blocked and a bunch more UFOs to choose from...

Rob
Old 05-24-2019, 06:05 AM

I did a class last week where we didn't get much done, so I hope to get the tote bag put together that I started and I am working on a sample for a class that I have been asked to teach, so I hope to get more done on that. Now, that I have my New York Beauty UFO out of the way I can dig into the rest of my UFO's and see what I can pull out.
I also have to make a run to the US to buy more fabric for a mystery quilt that I started working on....I didn't buy enough and now I'm worried they are going to be out of it!

Watson
Old 05-24-2019, 06:30 AM

Ooh, I hope they still have it! Call ahead!
Old 05-24-2019, 06:34 AM

I think I might join in the fun here at the VQW but like so many others I will likely spend time outdoors due to the beautiful weather! My weekend goal is to finish up a lap quilt for friends that have invited us to their Cape Cod beach house next month. Any other sewing time will be devoted to making additional irish chain blocks for the sew-along.

We have the LPGA lady golfers here this weekend at Kingsmill in Williamsburg, VA. so that may put a further damper on my sewing time.

Look forward to seeing what others are working on this weekend
Old 05-24-2019, 06:47 AM

Rats, they are out of the fabric I wanted. Have to switch from yellow to turquoise. It will still blend with the focus fabric...just be a little more colourful!
This is a 52 blocks in 52 weeks mystery quilt. I'm making 2 of each as they are only 61/2" blocks so I want to end up with something of a good size.

Watson
Old 05-24-2019, 07:00 AM

Watson, show us what you are looking for. We might have some.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:21 AM

Hello Virtual Quilters! I've finished the projects I was working on last time and am at my Mom's taking care of her after back surgery. Since I'm here for an extended duration -- today is just over two weeks, I'll be able to go home for Saturday (hubby working will be able to sew, maybe), Sunday, Monday and come back here again on Tuesday after my small group, and then back out here for another two weeks. My brother who recently retired is here and is having his gall bladder out on Wednesday... he thinks since it is just day surgery he'll only need a couple of days recovery... Like I said, I'm planning on being here another two weeks...

So my current project I'm calling Wonky Brights. The end result will be a twin sized donation project that I sort of see going to an 8-14 year old girl but who knows? I will find a group that lets the people select their quilts because it won't appeal to everyone, personally I call it "too loud to sleep under". I bought a large bag of scraps at the Goodwill that are nothing special, mostly remnants of fat quarters from Walmart and Joann that don't particularly appeal to me but as a collection work together. I'm making 9-patches with straight 90 degree angles but the squares are all different sizes and I'll be making the blocks large (10-12") and then trimming them down with my 8.5" square in various ways, skewed, from the corners, etc. The end result should be a glorious riot of color and print and look much more like a crazy quilt than a 9-patch.

I'm usually more on the OCD side of quilting but I'm inspired by one of the ladies in my small group who is an improvisational quilter. Her work always looks fantastic in the end even if her blocks aren't exact and such -- My personal name for this project is "Harriet Drives Me Wonky".

Today's task is to make the last 70 3-patch units before I start joining the 3-patch unit into 9-patches. I did some more cutting yesterday and I am coming to the end of the scrap bag but I have enough (I hope!). So today I sew! Well, after we get back from the Doctor's appt.

No way to post pictures from here, I don't have the right cord to connect my old school but Digital camera to the Mac but maybe I can post from home in the next day or two.

Keep quilting, my friends!
Old 05-24-2019, 08:03 AM

I’m working on my BHMQ-GF. My goal to have it all put together. I have the blocks completed. Just need to 1) sew all the blocks together: 2) make 1 set of blocks for the border #2: 3) cut out 3 borders and sew these to the finished top. Then I’m done. In between I will make Christmas 9-patches. And finish making a train top. This one just needs 3 borders sewn on to the body of the quilt. Happy sewing everyone.