Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend 8/6-8/8/21 >

Virtual quilting weekend 8/6-8/8/21

Virtual quilting weekend 8/6-8/8/21

Old 08-06-2021, 07:13 PM

I've got a bum arm...I fell while *WALKING*!!...and a boy going to camp on Sunday so will probably be unable to get any sewing done. I will be watching all of you with your pretties!
Old 08-07-2021, 03:31 AM

Well, this one crept up on me and I am busy, busy, busy. Traveling across state today to gift a quilt. Tomorrow, after church a baby shower, and a quilt. Then nose to the computer screen and grading student papers. All my quilting will be mental this week-end. If I can squeeze in................no, why kid myself. There is no time to squeeze in any quilting, cutting, piecing or pressing. I will lurk at your finishes and progress on Monday. Note for today: put September 3 - 6 on my calendar so I keep that long week-end clear for my quilting fun. Happy quilting all.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:37 AM

I've gotten two quilts quilted on the longarm and I'll be delivering those to a friend who loves to hand stitch the binding and I've managed to get yet another scrappy pieced both front and back and it's loaded on the longarm ready to roll! Will probably be canning tomatoes too (sigh)
Old 08-07-2021, 04:07 AM

Got all my alternate blocks done yesterday, my seams are a bit larger than normal as I'm still adjusting to switching machines. One of my sewing superstitions is to use the same machine for the entire project, but that doesn't always happen.

We were hoping for rain. We got a tiny bit of damp...
Old 08-07-2021, 04:30 AM

I will start coordinating fabric to hopefully do a 3 yd quilt or a pattern from Villa Rosa Designs, possibilities are endless! I am just happy to be able to start something even if it's just making a few quilt tops to have on hand!
Old 08-07-2021, 06:24 AM

Here's what the alternating blocks look like and the initial layout. I added one more row of length to the magazine project, I will also be adding on an additional small border for a total of three, should be a reasonable twin size.

To me the framing of the blocks plus the triangles look like frog legs/feet

I have to look at what I have left of the frog print for my border. I had just enough for everything before I decided to add the extra row, I'm stretching what I can do pretty far with what I have. I don't think I can cut it well on the vertical direction. I don't think these frogs need to be all upright and most likely will be twisting and turning them every which way -- definitely will if I have to cut the border that way. Probably will even if I could cut it "perfectly".
Attached Thumbnails 100_6179.jpg   100_6178.jpg  
Old 08-07-2021, 06:42 AM

How did you piece together your N/S/E/W star legs? I can't quite wrap my head around it...

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I saved a Quiltmaker magazine since March/April 1996 for a pattern called Ethan's Star. I can't believe there is no actual piecing instructions....they tell you how many pieces of each patch to make and that is about it....there is a colour block broken out so you can see where the pieces need to go. It wasn't my favourite pattern but I have the block done at 30 1/2" and will start cutting my borders now.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post
How did you piece together your N/S/E/W star legs? I can't quite wrap my head around it...
Kind of hard to describe ...I took the smaller pink square and added the correct colour triangle to each end. Then I took two more triangles of the correct colours for placement sewed them together and added them to the top edge of the unit, and added the last larger triangle to the opposite edge. I left this unit on the table and laid out the other areas, it wasn't possible to stitch the top together in traditional rows, so I put the 4 blocks in each corner together and then joined them together with this unit.....repeated this for the bottom and miraculously it fit together!
Old 08-07-2021, 07:34 AM

Thanks! I have to visualize it as something kind of on-point, then I can see it. Looks great!

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Kind of hard to describe ...I took the smaller pink square and added the correct colour triangle to each end. Then I took two more triangles of the correct colours for placement sewed them together and added them to the top edge of the unit, and added the last larger triangle to the opposite edge. I left this unit on the table and laid out the other areas, it wasn't possible to stitch the top together in traditional rows, so I put the 4 blocks in each corner together and then joined them together with this unit.....repeated this for the bottom and miraculously it fit together!
Old 08-07-2021, 08:50 AM

Hello all. I have put together my 4P on point and am now quilting it. I hope to get the binding on by tomorrow and cut pieces for a Delectable Mountain quilt. I made the 4P all scrappy and the DM will be purple and blues that I cut up from my scrap bin.