Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend 8/6-8/8/21 >

Virtual quilting weekend 8/6-8/8/21

Virtual quilting weekend 8/6-8/8/21

Old 08-07-2021, 12:10 PM

iceblossom, love the layout
yesterday, progress! got a quilt on the LA and quilted 1 pass. Surgery hand is very tired today, may or may not get anynore finished. Would like to take it Tuesday to quilt group, someone will bind it.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
...got a quilt on the LA and quilted 1 pass. Surgery hand is very tired today, may or may not get anynore finished..
Give yourself grace to heal.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:42 PM

Hey everyone!

Iceblossom - that quilt is going to be so fun when you get it done, I just love it!

Just crawled out of bed and waiting for the coffee; I'm thinking about bypassing the pot and going straight to the Keurig, it's so much faster! Can't thank my sister-in-law enough for gifting that to me for a late birthday gift.

Will be working exclusively on my nephew's quilt today, now that the hexie kit is done, I can check it off my VQW list, yay me! I did throw together a rosette last night real fast. The last time I did EPP, I wasn't all that thrilled with the glue method of keeping the fabric on the cardstock, I felt it was using way too much glue so this time, I put just a single dime-sized dot of glue in the middle of the hexagon and then I'm folding the seam allowances and stitching it up that way. I put all the petals on first, then I pull the middle hexagon off so I can fold the fabric over without the bulk of the cardstock. It's a little fiddly doing it this way, but it's reducing the amount of glue I use.

Yep, off to the Keurig, the pot is taking too long, lol!
Attached Thumbnails rosette.jpg  
Old 08-07-2021, 05:36 PM

Bleah....not sure what I clicked but poof....away went my post..... I decided not to add an inner colour border to my star, it just seemed to take away from the star. This brown owl fabric I purchased in Germany some years back and is now just about depleted! I loved it and it was something like 50" wide. My sewing was happily interrupted by a friend wanting to gift me some fabric. One of the flannels is a perfect yellow for the backing of this baby quilt. The picture with the folded fabric I have now washed and the other stuff will wait for tomorrow. The yellow flannel I will use as a backing is actually 3 metres... and another one the same size.....yippee ! Now I just have to squish it into my overflowing shelves once it is all washed.
Attached Thumbnails fullsizerender-small-.jpg   fullsizerender-1-small-.jpg  
Old 08-07-2021, 06:11 PM

Ended up doing a pattern called Bold Blocks from Fabric Café. I posted in the pictures section.
QUOTE=goldsberry921;8500705]I will start coordinating fabric to hopefully do a 3 yd quilt or a pattern from Villa Rosa Designs, possibilities are endless! I am just happy to be able to start something even if it's just making a few quilt tops to have on hand![/QUOTE]
Old 08-07-2021, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

Robb and all, here's a progress picture of my Jacob's Ladder top. This is less than half of it, so far.
Attached Thumbnails img_1452.jpg  
Old 08-07-2021, 08:15 PM

Snack break for me!

Thimblebug - I missed it the first time I went through but that owl fabric is so cute, coming from Germany like that, I don't think I ever would have had the heart to use it, lol. I love that star, all those colors are really making the owls pop.

Sewbizgirl - I just love the Jacob's Ladder, it is on my bucket list. I love how cozy it already looks, can't wait to see it completed. Beautiful job so far.

I am making very little progress on my Roundabout today, part of that is my fiance - ever notice that when you're really wanting to get down to brass tacks that your other half suddenly needs more attention than usual? He normally doesn't do this during VQW, just today but it's driving me crazy, lol. At least he's keeping the coffee going! Will have a picture of my progress on my next post.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:09 PM
Power Poster

I’m sure I am going to have to made additional everything’s to finish the Jacob’s Ladder, but I got really lucky on the 4.5” HSTs. I found piles of them in a drawer in my precuts cabinet. They must have been extras or more likely I made a bunch the wrong size, once upon a time. It’s great to be able to use them now!
Old 08-07-2021, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for your kind words, RRBrat.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:20 AM

Wink Playing Tag Baby quilt

Saturday, I cut out a baby quilt using the free pattern called, Playing Tag found on allpeoplequilt.com .

I like that you can use charm squares or 5" squares for some of the blocks. I have made this pattern in the past (see picture of first one I made) You have to look close to see the ribbons inside the large blocks....which are the tags. Babies love to play with them. The ribbons are secured extremely well when sewn into the blocks. This time around I am using flannel an minky squares.

Tip for sewing ribbon into blocks; I fold the 3" ribbbon in half and use a glue stick (washable school glue) on the ends and press with an iron. Now the ribbon ends are held together evenly and won't slip when sewing into the blocks.
Attached Thumbnails img_7880.jpg