Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend 8/6-8/8/21 >

Virtual quilting weekend 8/6-8/8/21

Virtual quilting weekend 8/6-8/8/21

Old 08-06-2021, 03:30 AM

Default Virtual quilting weekend 8/6-8/8/21

Welcome to VQW! I’m off to a mock mola workshop today so will check back in later. What are your plans for the weekend?

Next VQW is September 3-6.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:38 AM

Wow! VQW already. Before my upcoming sewing plans, I bid on some lovely Mola artwork recently on the weird auction site I like. I got outbid pretty quickly...

I've been doing some major sewing room upgrades and renovations, but Cranky Bernie (my Bernina) has decided once again he needed a spa vacation (trip to the dealer...). I think it is the same thread sensor problem I had fixed about a year or so ago. Estimated turn around time is 6 weeks. However, I also have back-up sewing machines and a hubby who will be working 10-12 days straight through this weekend, all week, and into next weekend too.

My current project I call "Froggie Beach" it is based on a pattern in the recent July 2021 American Quilter magazine, Full Bloom by Cathey Laird. Except instead of flowers, I'm using frogs. My frog blocks have been turned into snowballs with "beach" triangles, and I'll be going back to work on the alternate blocks today (they've progressed some since the progress shot). My good old vintage Remington has been set up and is ready to do my piecing.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6142.jpg   100_6151.jpg  
Old 08-06-2021, 03:56 AM

Thanks for hosting again Heather! I just looked up the Mola technique all I can say is WOW, can’t wait to see what you make.

Iceblossom: I see you have made wonderful progress with rearranging and organizing your room, love your new table!

I’m in for this weekend, I’ll be starting on my Bonnie Hunter En Provence quilt, after much hemming and hawing over colors and constant changes I am just gonna go with what I have. I always look forward to seeing what everyone is working on.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:17 AM

Yay! Thanks, Heather!

I'm in, though going to bed right now, I've been up all night cutting hexies from cardstock and fabric and building an on the go sewing kit.

I'll be working on my nephew's quilt this weekend along with my hexies. I do have plans to finally measure the three flimsies I have that's waiting to be sandwiched and quilted, I bought the batting but forgot to tag which quilt gets what batting. I'm such a goof.

Will take pictures of everything when I wake up and post them, in the meantime, everyone have a great quilting day!
Old 08-06-2021, 04:51 AM

I may sew some more 5 1/2" hexies together. I have about 1/2 a full size quilt of them put together. Not my favorite thing to sew - hexies with their Y seams. Ugh, but I always finish a project whether I like it or not.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:19 AM

Yay! Thanks for hosting, Heather- and have fun at your Mola workshop.

Iceblossom- glad you have Remmie to take up the slack while Cranky Bernie is out of commission.

Tallchick- looking forward to seeing your BH En Provence. I tried one BH and it is still languishing in Area 51 where it has been for several years.

Rrb- sleep tight. Looking forward to seeing your projects later.

I’m in the middle of quilting my July Colorblock quilt- I decided for this one to do an all over variation on paisleys, similar to what Debby Brown did for hers to resemble shells. I started quilting it yesterday and it’s going pretty quickly so I hope to have it finished by the end of the weekend. I've also got an art quilt that needs to be sandwiched, a small Mandala quilt that is ready to have another round quilted on it once I’ve decided what to do, and a scrappy piecing project that I’m working on when I need a break from quilting. My August colorblock top is complete and on the back burner until I decide what to do for a back.

Happy Quilting, everyone!
Rob
Old 08-06-2021, 06:10 AM

Hi everyone, so glad to have VQW this week! I'm going to work on my August blocks for Harriet's Journey.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:46 AM

Coffee break and time to check in with my virtual quilters.

Rob, hoping you are healed up and not over working yourself. The Remington is actually Remy with a y. Sort of like my son who has the cat commonly called "Margot with a T" even though you don't say the T in Margot Remy is a hard worker but just really easy going, sort of like Dennis Quaid in the Big Easy...
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092654/

Not all my stuff has names and personalities, but some sure do.

So, when I don't have Cranky Bernie going, here's my Remy. Has been my primary machine for most of the last 20-30 years. At one point I had one of the (then new) top of the line cam machines, just before it all went computerized but when it broke and couldn't be repaired Remy came to my rescue. Originally belonged to a grandmother of a friend of mine who was having a garage sale, and I said price it at $40 and take any offers over $20, but I'll take it for $20. Anyway, that is the original tool package off to the right side (or at least what I was given with it). We are going to ignore all those Bernina parts in the left corner...

The remnants of the kid's bandage I put on there so many years ago to mark my 1/4 is still there. I still have on the zig zag plate and foot from making masks, but it is doing a lovely stitch as it is.

It sits on a lovely (but currently empty) sewing organizer one of our lovely board members made for me! I need to load it back up but I keep trimming scissors, seam rippers, other stuff there.

PS: Yes, I know I'm looping the thread around the foot pressure. We both like it that way!
Attached Thumbnails 100_6177.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 08-06-2021 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:56 AM

Fun fabric Iceblossom! I have 8 Tall Buildings to stitch for my BOM from thequiltshowdotcom, but will keep cutting pieces for a baby quilt first. I have 2 gr. gr. nieces arriving in the next few months, so need to get busy on those. We haven't had rain or cool weather for many weeks but this morning the back deck was wet but unfortunately that little bit won't have helped all our forest fires. Look forward to hearing about everyone's progress through the weekend.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:57 AM

Too late to edit -- apparently "lovely" is my word of the day. Not sure if that is from too much or not enough coffee, so just going to go back and sew me some more.

Hope you all are having a lovely day!