Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 12-15, 2024

Old 01-12-2024, 06:06 AM

Can I join? This is Pam from Seattle. It is baby quilt weekend for me. I picked out yellow and greens, my giftee's favorite colors, cut strips for a log cabin, laid out and really don't like the the result! Ugh. Even my boyfriend who is color-challenged said the colors don't work. (Or, maybe he was just agreeing with me to shut me up.) So, back to the drawing board for different colors and maybe a different design.
Old 01-12-2024, 06:06 AM

I'll jump in! First timer. I've got to bind a small donation quilt. It's been machine stitched to the front but I need to finish the back by hand. Also, I'm making some crumb blocks for another donation quilt. Hope to have another dozen or so done by the end of the weekend. Been having skipped stitches so I do need to solve that again. Something to do with when the bobbin is low on thread, it seems to jump around and skip. I'll be testing that theory this weekend.

Have a good weekend all!
Old 01-12-2024, 06:19 AM

I am so in. I have been waiting for this VQW. I have a four day weekend, it's going to snow tomorrow 😀, perfect cumulative VQW..... I have 12 more pillow fronts to stencil, I will then have 84 completed, that is two orders ready to go for May when my orders begin for the hit TV show Maine Cabin Masters. Their busy season at their store in Manchester Maine is May-October. I always try and get a few orders ahead during their off season. The rest of the backing for these last few is out for delivery per my tracking this morning. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel at this point.
I already have my next project planned out. I ordered some grunge fabric from M*, got an email that says that is ready to ship. I have three panels I plan to add borders around for lap size quilts. I'm thinking of adding some twister tool blocks to break it up and add visual interest. I have the panels and twister tool together just waiting for the grunge fabric to arrive.
If I get the pillows completed as I'm hoping to accomplish this VQW, I'm thinking about making some pillow case kits to use up my small Christmas fabric stash that I seriously dought I will ever use in a quilt, then I'll donate them once sewn.
Can't wait to check in on and off over the weekend and see what everyone is working on, happy sewing everyone. I know I myself and I can tell by reading others post, we look forward to these when we are able to participate or even just to read for motivation if life is to busy to sew during VQW. Thank you Heather for hosting this monthly and for special occasions, it sure is a great way to keep motivated.
Old 01-12-2024, 06:27 AM

Yea! I will be FMQing the background of Mrs. Seahorse. I quilted her with a loopy meander; I think that works best on those 3/4" pixel squares. I spent days drawing the scrolls for the background. The markers kept drying out, so I used 3 different colors! I found that by marking the quilt all over, I developed muscle memory for the stitching!
Attached Thumbnails main-seahorse.jpg   background.jpg  
Old 01-12-2024, 07:35 AM

I’m in. Just got the final fabric for my 3 QOV. Plan on finishing cutting the fabric, finish marking all the square for flying geese and start sewing. Good weekend for it, we’re expecting 8-12” of snow Friday afternoon through Saturday morning.

sschick – Many years ago my DM asked me to take my favorite aunt’s mink jacket to the Salvation Army but I had to get it when she was gone (obviously still very emotionally attached). I asked her if she cared what I did with it and she said no. We had an art fair and I found a lady that made the exact type of bear I wanted. I gave the bigger one to my Mom and she cherished it. I kept the smaller one. When Mom passed, it came back to me. They now reside. in our great room in an antique highchair (1883) from DH’s family and still are very much cherished.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:12 AM

I have been working on 2 baby quilts, the first one a zigzag from crazymomquilts blog and the second one a warm wishes pattern. Finished the hand stitching on the binding of the zigzag yesterday and hope to sandwich the warm wishes this weekend. Thanks for hosting!
Attached Thumbnails img_2218.jpeg   img_2222.jpeg  
Old 01-12-2024, 08:52 AM

After we finish taking down the Christmas decorations, I will be figuring out what I want to take on my guild's quilting retreat which starts next Thursday. Always a big decision as I have lots of UFOs but I really have my eye on a couple of new, smaller Valentine's Day projects. What to bring? Maybe a little of both!
Old 01-12-2024, 11:30 AM

I absolutely need to do a binding of some description on an art quilt that I want to enter in Quilt Canada.
I am going to work on designing a different block for a Christmas tree skirt pattern that I bought, because the one paper pieced star block that came with it I am not enjoying doing at all. And I also think that it looks too formal for me. I am thinking of making wonky stars, instead.

Watson
Old 01-12-2024, 12:10 PM

I will be in and out this weekend, I have my running done for the day and need to finish putting away the Christmas decorations also, then after a quick clean of the house then I can finish the room divider for our parlor off the kitchen. That room is basically unheated (just one register and no return) and it gets cold in the middle of the winter. The one I did last year ended up shrinking after I washed it and I am adding 5 more orphan blocks to it, Sunday and Monday I have donation quilts to do and one quilt to finish hand binding. I should be able to sew some tomorrow after our dinner company leaves.
Thanks as always Heather.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:05 PM

My first VQW! I’m trying to finish up a quilt of valor pattern called flying flags. I’ve been sewing strip sets together and am ready to start making the blocks.