Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 17-20, 2020 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 17-20, 2020

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 17-20, 2020

Old 01-18-2020, 03:27 PM

Can anyone join the conversation??
This weekend I've been working on a crazy quilt that I started in September. It got a bit too crazy for me, so I decided to put in some black sashing to calm it down. There are a total of 49 blocks, and I hope to have it ready to quilt by the end of the month. As of now, I have no idea how to quilt it.

Attached Thumbnails img_0062.jpg  
Old 01-18-2020, 04:07 PM

Hi everyone! I spent the day learning to make a Lone Star using the Quiltsmart foundation pattern. Easy to do and great results, but the instructions were pretty confusing. Luckily our instructor has made lots of them and was able to guide us to success!
Attached Thumbnails lone-star.jpeg  
Old 01-18-2020, 04:19 PM

Barb2018, welcome! Some are here to get encouragement to finish many UFOs, while others have a only a few, & still others use this thread as a UFO prevention system. Everyone is welcome, no matter how many UFOs you have. If you do finish one, pm zozee, who is keeping our count.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:35 PM

Well, it sounds like the perfect weekend for a VQW with the lousy weather so many are having. We just had rain although I think there was some sleet before I got up this morning. However, family back in NYS is getting up to 8 inches. Good time to stay in and quilt!

Cheshirepat--I suspect many would be willing to send you their snow and cold weather! If you want to add a plain border, I would definitely add before the piano key border so the piano keys are your outer border.

Watson--did you have your class today?

railroadersbrat--Starching the dickens out of it was going to be my suggestion so glad you figured it out.

Thimblebug6000--very pretty project!

Barb2018--all are welcome to join in! If you are comfortable stippling, maybe that would work to quilt the top. Or since it's a crazy quilt, how about playing with the different stitches on your machine?

QuiltingVagabond---Was your class at The Back Door? If so, I know who your instructor was. I've made a couple Lone Stars with her

Old 01-18-2020, 04:37 PM

I've actually had a productive couple days. I have been working on my five table runners which are my January UFO challenge. They should hopefully be completed tomorrow which is good. I am mailing them Tuesday to my mom in Florida. I also prepped two wool applique projects so they're ready to go.

Will be back tomorrow afternoon after church and lunch.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:37 PM

This is a busy group. I'm working on Bonnie Hunter's Frolic mystery and it's really challenging for me. She left a bunch of steps to the very end and I'm getting confused as to what is what. But I have two blocks done. These will be put on the diagonal with pieced sashings between so will be very busy. I'm quitting for tonight but will be back at it after church tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails frolic-blocks.jpg  
Old 01-18-2020, 05:19 PM

Default Geese

I needed to make 100 flying geese units so that’s what I did this weekend. It’s for a mystery by grid girls on Facebook. The other thing I need to do is make it a 12” Block four Annie’s mystery. Then I’ll be caught up until Tuesday when the next part comes out.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by WendyMcD View Post
I needed to make 100 flying geese units so that’s what I did this weekend. It’s for a mystery by grid girls on Facebook. The other thing I need to do is make it a 12” Block four Annie’s mystery. Then I’ll be caught up until Tuesday when the next part comes out.
Love your colors Wendy!

Last edited by Christine-; 01-18-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:00 PM

I sewed a little this morning. I put side borders on my project.

I really enjoy seeing everyone's projects and all of the conversations.

Barb 2018: Welcome. I have the die for the Crazy Patch also and I put horizontal black sashings in one top and on the other one, I alternated the blocks with a small print. I also felt it needed a calm space.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:18 PM

It looks like everyone has been so productive! I have done zero of the cutting I planned to do so far. Yesterday and today have been busier than expected in the way of errands at my house. Having a husband and a four year old just gets in the way of quilting, I tell ya! :-D I should be able to get something done tonight, though. I think I’ll prioritize cutting and prepping hexies. I only recently started handwork but it’s very relaxing and very portable.