Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 24-26, 2020 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 24-26, 2020

Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 24-26, 2020

Old 07-23-2020, 07:15 PM

First, thank you, Reggiemom for hosting again! I do love the VQWs and glad I'll be here this time!

I've got a few things planned this weekend! For starters, I'm finally tying that nine-patch quilt I did back in October and when I'm not working on that, I'll be working on my Grandmother's Flower Garden. I'm also hoping I can get the fiance to work on my sewing machine, everything is fine with it except I don't have a light assembly and he brought home a different machine that is locked up tight but the light assembly is still in really good shape, so I'm going to bat my eyes and see if he can put that one in my machine while I'm sitting at the table tying the nine-patch. If he can't do it, I know I can!

Also going to try and get to know my sewing machine more, finally have a manual in my hand, it says I can do free-motion embroidery, I'm hoping it will also do free-motion quilting so if I feel ducky enough on Sunday, I may just put together a small sandwich and see what I can do.

First thing is first though, have to clear out my dining room and sweep my floor before I can get to tying my nine-patch. I'm super stoked, though!
Old 07-23-2020, 09:50 PM
Power Poster

I'll be working on my round in a Round Robin swap. The quilts are getting big and the rounds more substantial. Wish I could show it, but I can't before I show it to the RR group once I get it completed.

As usual, there are tops to quilt for donation.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
Old 07-24-2020, 12:20 AM

I vote yes to a labor full wknd VQW even though I will probably not be able to participate. I am a teacher and we start work around then in NY - busy time regardless of virtual or in person classes.

I'm going to start a Boomerang Diamonds quilt. Just having trouble deciding on construction method. Build it with half diamonds in rows or full diamonds like an on-point quilt? (Any thoughts?)
Old 07-24-2020, 02:46 AM

OK, this one sneaked up on me but it is easy to make a list.
1. Get quilt ready to drop off to my long arm friend
2. Finish UFO as a Project Linus quilt.
3. Finish top of orphan blocks to be made into a Project Linus quilt.
Bonus: finish guild mystery quilt

Yes on a Labor Day VQW! I need the distraction and have plenty of quilting to do.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:17 AM

I am also working on my Round Robin round that Sewbiz mentioned. I'm still working on my sub-units but should have those done today or tomorrow and maybe can have the round on the center by the end of the weekend -- the good news is that our mail out date is still weeks away and not dependent on the virtual weekend.

Hubby is just getting off 2 weeks of 6 day/12 hour shifts to cover for someone's vacation. I know he is taking Monday off and we have plans, but I'll still have Saturday to do my own thing. We are lucky that his work has been considered essential and we have not been hit by the financial hardships as much as many.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:18 AM
Power Poster

I'll be completing these 100 masks. A pile of 100 is daunting, but piling them in 10's helps me meet the goals by encouraging me to finish the 10-pile I'm working on before quitting to get a meal, or whatever. And it gives me a better visual of my progress. I use the serger for two of the sewing steps and the second picture is the trimmings from the 100 masks.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:47 AM

I’m in. Still working on the Big Butterfly- I want to get the trapunto work done. I also have a large art quilt that I want to get sandwiched and start quilting.

yes to a full weekend Labor Day VQW!

QuiltnNan- that’s a lot of masks!

Thanks for hosting, Raggiemom,

Rob
Old 07-24-2020, 05:59 AM

I'm going to give it a good try, I finally feel up to sewing and need to work on a paper pieced mini quilt I designed. So will be hiding inside this weekend ( We have a heat warning all weekend ) staying cool and playing with very small pieces.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:10 AM

I have been in a slump with my quilting for some time now. I plan to find something simple I have started and work on only one project and sew a few seams and see if I can get my momentum going. Thanks for making me want to put my quilting as a priority.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:22 AM

I would love to join in , I need to tie a t shirt quilt, first time I made one one of these. I also have 2 quilts to bind and helping gd with a t shirt quilt. Hopefully I can get something done. I enjoy Hearing and seeing everything you all get done, every virtual quilting weekend