Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--June 18 to June 20, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--June 18 to June 20, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend--June 18 to June 20, 2021

Old 06-19-2021, 03:22 PM

Iceblossom- sweet quilt and that backing fabric is wonderful!

cjsews- love the colors in those churndash blocks.

today I got more of the 16 patches snowballed and got several rows stitched together. Also managed to do another unit in my iquilt class.

Rob
Old 06-19-2021, 03:40 PM

I'm with cjsews just go for it, after all it is a practice piece.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:52 PM

Good day everyone. I forgot to sign up for this thread yesterday. I went to the KC regional quilt show. It was fun to spend several hours there.

I’m quilting on a queen size top. I only have 13.5” to go. I’m debating if I want to make the last row longer (it’s currently 11” pattern), or do 2 rows and the last row have a crop of 2.5”. I’m leaning towards the one row option. I decided to do a double layer of batting since it will go to New York where it gets cold in the fall and winter. I should be done later tonight. Trim and bind tomorrow (sewing the binding on by machine). Then another UFO will be done. Yea.

Next, I need to quilt 5-6 baby tops for a friend. I will probable get 4-5 of those completed. Pending on the weather. Forecast is for showers with some thunderstorms after 10pm tonight. So I could make some progress. Then work on making 30 stars for another project and cut out 6 kits for the guild by Monday, (or get as much as I can do done).
Old 06-19-2021, 04:42 PM

Not a whole lot accomplished but happy just the same...a bib for my granddaughter...a first...and some of my tall buildings on the go for thequiltshow.com BOM
Attached Thumbnails fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 06-20-2021, 12:15 AM

Hi All, really enjoying seeing all the hard work going on here :-)

Joining you for a short time today. I'm working on a table topper - basket of flowers with a pieced flower border. Finished cutting out for the piecing last night, today I want to try and sew some together...

I'd also really like to finish off my Mrs Cleveland's Choice block for my ongoing SBS. This block has been on the go for over 3 weeks now - admittedly I'm not working on it all the time, but good grief it is fiddly!! Once I make this one, I'm determined never to make another !!!

Happy Quilting!
Old 06-20-2021, 04:03 AM

So sad, it is Sunday morning and I haven't even been in my sewing room except to return wandering items found about the house. Maybe later today I can add a binding to a quilt. Ho hum!
Old 06-20-2021, 05:54 AM

Iceblossom- love the airplane blocks and I am drooling over your vintage backing, its beautiful!

Railroadersbrat- Can’t wait to see your progress!

Looks like many are making great progress!

I got the remainder of 80 star legs pieced yesterday, managed to get 9 blocks of 40 sewn. I hope to get at least another 8 blocks sewn today. Sundays are always my cleaning days, so the sooner I get that done, the sooner I can get back to sewing.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the kind comments, I woke up today feeling pretty darn good! My machine (Cranky Bernie) was chugging along like a champ and it was pretty easy going. I delivered the top along with the binding to the next lady in line yesterday. Another one is working on the label and we hope to be ready for Tuesday.

Our group member who usually does the quilting, she lost her husband at the end of last year. Janice, who gets this quilt, she is the next quilter in line -- and she usually does a serpentine grid of some sort because it is such an easy and practical solution and so is sort of a recognition to her as well as being within my skill set.

Many of the fabrics in the top are true vintage, some repro. Others are just things she likes like cats and flowers or she does appreciate some plaid in her life! Like me, she spent part of her girlhood in Alaska (goes with the planes) and the border fabric was picked with that in mind. The sashing goes from dark to light and was a color bars fabric so all shades were on one yardage.

Most of the group are mom-aged to me, most of them appreciate vintage fabric. For a long time I collected vintage fabrics and I can tell you -- they are a lot more scarce now than they were 20 years ago. Is hard to imagine that true feed/flour sacks are almost 100 years old when you've lived most of those years Anyway, that was just a lucky thrift store find, about 6 yards of perfectly stored, perfect condition 36" fabric -- no musty smell, glorious feel and drape both pre- and after washing. There was just so barely enough! Maybe 4 inches total cut off top/bottom, and just 2 inches from the sides.

I like the saying I got from these boards -- some people are just not quilt worthy. Janice is quilt worthy but vintage fabric worthy too.

edit: and yes, I matched the grid of the backing fabric in the seams! Wasn't hard to do but I should have actually counted the little tiles first, had a jog in one piece that made those narrow widths more noticeable.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 06-20-2021 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:45 AM

I'm in. Finished the donation quilt I was working on at one of the last VQW's in May except for some of the hand binding. I still can't machine bind to my satisfaction. Now working on a baby quilt that I've made before-(the one with the Mama and baby elephants carrying balloons.) Trying to find my embroidery machine instructions so I can machine applique the elephants.( Last time I hand applied them and realize that doesn't make a lot of sense for a baby quilt.)
I'll try to include pix later. No room on my Kindle for pix and my phone doesn't play well when uploading pix to the site.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 06-20-2021, 07:27 AM

Default Sunday Update

Well, I still tend to cut off the point sometimes, but not nearly as bad as I did yesterday. Slowing way down and taking my time has really paid off, loving my new Brother because of the variable speed. Trying to do this on my big girl would have been hard to do, she's got some serious giddy-up-and-go.

I also think I might have the binding figured out already, I've got to do some major math, but I have a ton of 2.5" strips leftover from the fat quarter, plus three fat quarters I didn't use. I'm going to do a black border and I think if I sew all those strips together, I might have enough for a real pretty binding. I can always toss in black strips to make it long enough if I have to, but I'm hoping I have enough from the fat quarters I wouldn't have to add.

Also been tracking the progress of my orders from Marshal Dry Goods and the Fat Quarter Shop, everything should land tomorrow, so getting both excited and nervous to get my other quilts together and start getting them sandwiched.

Super excited for today, I don't plan on doing anything else other than sew. I didn't feel good yesterday, but woke up feeling good today, so I'm hopeful to get more progress under my belt.
Attached Thumbnails blocks.jpg