Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend -- June 30 - July 4, 2017 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- June 30 - July 4, 2017

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- June 30 - July 4, 2017

Old 06-30-2017, 06:32 PM

DH is gone for a few days so the iron and sewing machine are getting workouts! Finished up some small blocks for a selvage project- now to find the pattern for the next step! Ironed a jelly roll and prepped all the strips to make the Man Sewing "Folded Strips Bag"- a tutorial on MSQC. Will finish that in the morning.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:45 PM

12 paper airplanes are half done now. I can't decide whether to hope for nice weather tomorrow (Canada Day - I'm considering braving the crowds) or rain, so I can quilt
Old 06-30-2017, 10:36 PM

I had a pretty productive day. I organized the quilts that will be delivered tomorrow to local hospital for our Quilts for Kids group. I cut a few quilt kits for our group and finished a small quilt. [ATTACH=CONFIG]575570[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]575571[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0861.jpg   img_0859.jpg  
Old 07-01-2017, 03:13 AM

Meyert. it took my breathe away, I am crazy about some batik, and it will come together for you.

D.Henson, that is lovely, I love those calming colors, it would be hard for me to give up.

Good morning all, once again it was hard for me to stay asleep so I am up and ready to go. My plan is to set my FW up to sew. It will need to be oiled and a new needle replaced in it. I have some things to do outside the home, when I return I will be ready to set the Craftsy kit together today. Let's see I can transfer the pix this morning

Sorry, I played with the transfer too much and this is how it landed, hope it's not too confusing. Better get going if I'm to get anything done.
Attached Thumbnails 20170617_115716craftsy-kit-project.jpg  

Last edited by cherrybsixty; 07-01-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:22 AM

I need to get started on a quilt for a friend. She retired, very suddenly, a few years ago and I recently realized that I didn't make her a retirement quilt. She likes civil war and I don't, but she said that she'll willingly receive anything I make for her. Which is so sweet. I originally thought that would make my job so much easier. But I think it only makes it more challenging as I can literally make her anything and she'll be happy with it. So, I'm going to try to make a sampler quilt for her.
One that has a sewing machine block (our original common hobby)
heart blocks (cuz I love her)
a car block (as we go on many shop hops together)
spool of thread block (she's a hand piecer and quilter)...

I have to investigate what the other blocks will be. I'll try to post pics if I get any visuals before the weekend ends! Love this thread!
Old 07-01-2017, 05:19 AM

Good morning!

Wow! Lots of activity happened yesterday. I love reading all of the posts and looking at the pictures.

I got 3 shelves up in my laundry room and my body is telling me that it hurts! Lol! The rechargeable drill got heavy after a while.

I serged 50 baby bibs, got most of my sorted fabric put away, and worked on some ongoing sewing projects.

Today I want to serge 50 more bibs, work on some Blocks of the Week (catch up time), continue with ongoing sewing projects, and finish putting away the sorted fabric. I'm hoping to tuck in the serging tails on the bibs when I am hanging out with some great nieces later today. Of course, there are some household chores to do also.

Connie
Old 07-01-2017, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Belfrybat - are those blocks from the a block exchange on Countrylife? I've got blocks from several exchanges that I've never done anything with. I remember we did one using those colors.
They are the 2015 Homesteading Board spring swap and one of the blocks is yours. I decided this is the year I'm going to finish up all the swap blocks I have hanging around. Whatever isn't made up by the end of the year will be donated.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by phranny View Post
tsc, nice bargello! Quilting it on a treadle, tell us how that goes. I would like to try that sometime, I did not know you could get a walking foot for the treadle.
The top is now together, that went quick.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]575553[/ATTACH]
Now to cut out the bag and quilt it.
This top is so pretty. I prefer a modern look to my quilted pieces, so this is right up my alley.

As for a walking foot on my treadle, the machine is a short shank Singer, so my regular walking foot works just fine. I've even tried it on my 1891 VS2, but the long bobbins do not hold much thread so I have not used it for quilting. The machine I am using now is a 15-88 so it has those nice big class 15 bobbins.

I cleaned and oiled the machine last night and started pinning the sandwich but I ran out of pins. This is the largest piece that I have tried so I used all of them up. Will have to go out later and get more.

Last edited by tscweaves; 07-01-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:41 AM

OK, finished this weekend project. I decided to add a floral border to the top and bottom, for tuck at the ends of my daybed. The binding will be the same fabric so it will make the sides match. That's all I can do for it now, until the batting arrives and until I decide what I want for the back. My goal was to finish the top and its done! Yay! Love this VQW! Janet

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575583[/ATTACH] (The name of the blocks is The Radio Windmill from 1941.)
Attached Thumbnails radio-windmill-top.jpg  
Old 07-01-2017, 07:17 AM

I love seeing all of the projects in progress and the older machine. I printed the patterns for 3 blocks for my Block of the Month challenge and I did some hand quilting. I am piecing on a Singer 301 made in 1951 and I love the stitches. I have to stop and run to the grocery store but I am looking forward to this afternoon & evening.