Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--March 14-17, 2019 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--March 14-17, 2019

Virtual Quilting Weekend--March 14-17, 2019

Old 03-16-2019, 04:57 AM

I'm working on an experimental scarf made of rayon, Misty Fuse, Terial Magic, FMQ Quilting and sweat. I've got all the FMQ done on it, now I need to cut out all the open areas which is taking forever. [ATTACH=CONFIG]610369[/ATTACH]

I should really be working on putting quilt hanging sleeves on about 4 other quilts but that's not so much fun, is it?

I'm also sewing the strips together to make a double sized scrappy tumbler on my Featherweight. I may pull that out later today.

Watson
Attached Thumbnails scarf1.jpg  

Last edited by Watson; 03-16-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:32 AM

Am enjoying seeing the other projects, especially the projects using little squares as I still have way too many of them. Watson, the scarf looks so fun!

So apparently I miscounted my purples because I still have a couple left that I want to cut and I'm already over my 42. Don't know how that happened since some of my originals didn't work out -- but I'm not complaining! I'll go through and take out some of the lighter ones. Again, the nice thing with that crumb box is the extra pieces can go right in there.

Hubby still sick but I'm going to the quilt show today as planned. I think he needs to go to urgent care, I think it would currently count as bronchitis don't want it going into pneumonia.

My house and work spaces are small, so no laying out the borders for the Not Quite Y2K quilt while hubby home, that's ok -- would rather have hubby well. So next step is to cut the white pieces for the purple quilt from the strips I've already prepared.

Then I have another project that's been waiting for layout. I can start cutting sashing for it I guess to continue my quilting momentum. I prefer to put my sashing on blocks in an L shape to the blocks, rather than in long unwieldy rows between the blocks. I was waiting to layout the quilt to make sure which blocks I'm using first since I have some extra blocks. But that sashing does need to be cut so maybe tomorrow will be the day to do it. Fabric has been prewashed and waiting for a month or two.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:37 AM

Wow! Everyone's getting lots done.

Turtle- I love the colors and watery feel of the 1st fabric, but think the value is too close to that of the turtle so your turtle might get lost if you appliqué it directly to the fabric. The 2nd fabric would allow your turtle to stand out more.

Sew biz and JJblaine- nice scrappys.

I got the negative background spaces quilted on this UFO quilt yesterday, and am trying to decide what to do with the colored areas--- they're already ditched and don't really need anything as far as holding the quilt together goes, but I'm thinking I might want to use some quilting to push some of the colored areas into the mid-ground so that the horizontal and vertical stripes come forward more. The areas I'm thinking of flattening a little bit are those colored ones that the white quilted channels echo around. I think some additional quilting might flatten them out just enough to make the spiderweb circles appear as part of the mid ground. That way I would have a background (some of the white areas), a mid-ground (the white channels and the colored circles) and a foreground (those horizontal and vertical stripes that runs across the colored circles and the white. Opinions?

Rob
Attached Thumbnails img_2317.jpg  
Old 03-16-2019, 07:09 AM

My opinion is: Holy cow! That looks amazing.

I see what you mean by giving it more layers. I would try it and see what happens. You can always pick it out. That's what I always ask myself...."What's the worst that can happen if I try?"

Watson
Old 03-16-2019, 07:40 AM

Yes! The ugly quilt is longarmed and off the frame!! Usually. the "ugly" quilts grow on me as time goes by, Not this one!! It was ugly to start out and it has stayed ugly. We quilt for charity using charity donations and I think this one has used up what we all agreed was the ugliest fabric ever produced. I can't post a picture and I don't want to offend anyone's eyes anyway. Now to trim and attach binding and get it out of my sight!
Old 03-16-2019, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Watson, that scarf looks gorgeous, so far!

Rob, WowZer! That doesn't look like any spiderweb quilt I've ever seen. It's a work of art! Just follow your instincts on the quilting. They are obviously good!

My opinion on "ugly quilts" is that they are not worth finishing. Not even for charity, unless the charity is dog beds. People all deserve a nice quilt and I would feel bad giving away an ugly one.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:27 AM

Lots of great progress and projects!

I finished cleaning out my sewing chair wheels. Whew! It’s amazing how much thread gets stuck in them. I guess I probably should be better about sweeping the area.

I finished my 3 blocks for a BOW. Now on to my BOM blocks. I have several projects to choose from for leader/enders and one may be a finished top by tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:37 AM

Sewbizgirl and JJ Blaine, love the scrappies!

It looks like everyone is being so productive. I may get a bit done this weekend but I'm not going to be on it. With this ankle it seems like it takes me so long to do anything (especially stopping all the time to ice my ankle), that I'll be lucky to get a couple hours all weekend to do some sewing but I'm going to try.

Rob, that's the most amazing spiderweb quilt I've ever seen! After looking at it, I think you're right. I think a bit of flattening in the the colored areas adjacent to the background would be nice. But even just as it is, it's incredible!

Last edited by cashs_mom; 03-16-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:50 AM

Oh my! I'm late to the party! I didn't realise you started early this month. I'll catch up reading in a little while.

I am quilting this weekend plus finishing up two tops. This is what's currently under my machine and the hearts and 9 patches in front is a top I've started to assembled. A very generous member here sent me tops and blocks and I've been happily engaged in finishing what she started. I quilted one top yesterday and bound another. Will post more pics later. I'll catch up on reading once I've finished quilting the top. I can't wait to see all your projects!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610378[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails saturday-projects.jpg  
Old 03-16-2019, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Those look pretty, Belfry... can't wait to see more pics!

Patrice, be patient with that ankle. (I know that's easier said than done!) Thinking of you...