Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend -- November 10-12, 2017 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- November 10-12, 2017

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- November 10-12, 2017

Old 11-12-2017, 06:52 AM

Krista - love that quilt! I've been saving up a lot of small chunks of christmas theme fabric, and that would be a perfect way to showcase them.

I'd also be open to a one day VQW for New Years. But then, I normally spend a big chunk of my "free time" sewing. I tell my staff that sewing is my therapy, keeps me from strangling anyone. We have a big blank wall in the office and I hang quilts there, so they like seeing what I've been working on.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Great job on the top, Nan.
thanks, sewbizgirl
Old 11-12-2017, 08:21 AM

Kristakz I love that christmas tree quilt. And sewbiz your son's quilt looks great. Quitingnan your top is great too. So many other nice projects on here too.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Love seeing everyone's projects!
Just for fun, I thought I'd try the crayon tutorial that d.rickman posted not long ago.
Turned out cute.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]583706[/ATTACH]

Watson
This is beautiful. I have never seen anything like this. I need to go look up that tutorial. Are crayons a gateway to another rabbit-hole?
Old 11-12-2017, 09:10 AM

Yes, I'll take a VQW anytime.[ATTACH=CONFIG]583754[/ATTACH]This is what I've been slaving over. Allitaire by Bonnie Hunter only in purples and green with coral as accent. I picked the coral before Bonnie came out with hers. For those who don't know, this is the 2015 Mystery quilt. But I was taking the Master Gardener's class then. Yes, I passed and realized there is way too much to know, so I don't know it all.

I saw this alternate colorway on Pinterest. I think I"ll reserve judgement on it until after it is done. Only scrappy part is the 4 1/2 inch squares for the green. The purple is going to be the same. Original colorway was red, gold and black. My small black squares are black with a purple design in them which you can't see in the pic.

You can tell how overwhelmed I am......There are 30 of the green blocks (I have 9 done) and 20 of the purple (I have one done). There are some piles of things that are cut, but it is the little angle ones using the Doug Leko ruler that keep me so slow.

I also did an inventory of what is waiting to go on the longarm. Seven quilts, mostly queen sized.

I just love that pink flamingo quilt.

To the poster who is trying to get to save the pics....email them to yourself, then save them on the computer.

Marcia
Attached Thumbnails 20171112_113050_resized.jpg  
Old 11-12-2017, 09:24 AM

Macybaby- I don't know how you manage to get so much done so fast! I really like that curved pattern you've got going.

Dedemac- that hand quilting is looking great! Geometric meandering would look good, so would something with a more curvy feel since you've got so many straight lines in the quilt. I'd be tempted to do a series of concentric circles or maybe a sort of Baptist fan thing radiating out from a circle or circles around the black squares (rather than the traditional Baptist fan done in rows).

Rob
Old 11-12-2017, 09:29 AM

Kristakz- that's both elegant and cute at the same time. I love the fact that you ditched the packages instead of quilting in them. Makes them pop forward!

Sewbiz- That's going to be gorgeous. I did a QAYG using wide sashing and it looked great until I washed it, then in a couple of places the batting I'd inserted into the sashing was just a hair too narrow (or it shrank more than the fabric) so check that you are getting your batting wide enough.

Rob
Old 11-12-2017, 09:40 AM

QuiltnNan- that's looking good.

Battle Axe- glad to see your Allietare coming along. I'm liking that color way.

Here's what I spent the morning working on. It's not on the list of things I was going to work on, but it was bugging me so I decided to just deal with it. It's a fabric collage using some of the bits and pieces I've been saving in shoe boxes for all these years. I got the pieces glued and then free motion zigzag stitched around each one last month, but had not gotten around to putting borders on it so it could be sandwiched and quilted. I got the borders on it this morning by free motion appliquéing it to a larger piece of fabric. Now I need to hunt up a backing and decide which batting I want to use. Maybe a little wool under the spirals....

Rob
Attached Thumbnails img_1561.jpg  
Old 11-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

everyone's projects are looking so good. i'm always amazed at the variations of quilts that appear here on the QB
Old 11-12-2017, 10:38 AM

Rob, that's really great. It looks like an explosion.

Watson