Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend -- November 10-12, 2017 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- November 10-12, 2017

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- November 10-12, 2017

Old 11-12-2017, 03:37 PM

great production everyone! My first retreat here and didn't touch a needle once But we got a Lot of the siding on the new chicken/storage house!
All day tomorrow is mine. Mine. Mine
Old 11-12-2017, 05:09 PM

Wow! Awesome projects being worked on again this month!

Raggiemom: New Year's Day would work great! As far as your pictures not uploading, I have a resize app on my IPhone and set it to 640 and it works. I then type my comments in the reply box and load the picture from my picture file on my iPhone. I am glad you are feeling better.

QuiltnNan: Your post about referring to a photo for correct placement reminded me to check if I had a picture of the quilt I was working on because I knew I had something messed up. I had a picture so I was able to correct the problem quickly.

For some reason, I couldn't get good pictures of my projects this weekend. I did finish an 8 by 9 block quilt top. The blocks were just 9" squares of different colors with a diagonal row of flying dragon blocks that were outlined in black.

I put another quilt that size on my design wall with only 2 colors and I started sewing them together. Both of these quilt tops will be donated to my church group to finish.

I finished cutting my donated batiks into 2.5" strips. I still need to cut the smaller widths into strips of 2, 1.5, and 1".

Until next month. ......

Connie
Old 11-12-2017, 05:20 PM

Working on table toppers here. I don't know why I wait until November to start making Christmas gifts but I do...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]583794[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]583795[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1889.jpg   img_1890.jpg  
Old 11-12-2017, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
Thanks sewbizgirl. I wasn't sure the quilting showed up in the photo. I decided to just outline the packages and ribbons, despite my dislike of doing STID
totally agree with this--the wall hanging looks fabulous!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Finished. It's on stretcher bars, no binding. The art gallery is changing it's exhibit this week to winter/holidays.

It is improvisational pieced. Reminded me of houses, so it got roofs, chimney and smoke. Then railing on the fron and a road. Finished it reminded me of old cabins at the lake. There are also 6 companion pieces 10x12".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583790[/ATTACH]
this is just absolutely stunning and so fun--great quilt!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Thanks Watson.

Trisher- Those blocks are really neat. I did a large twister once, but did it as an all-over pattern and it about drove me batty trying to get it laid out in a way that looked good. I like the way you're doing them with the light sawtooth border around each block-- they still have the tessellated effect, but the addition of the borders will add a secondary pattern on top of that and give it some structure.

Here's what I've been working on this afternoon. I thought I would be able to get it ready for some thread painting and then quilting, but when I looked at it I decided that there were some areas that needed to be darkened in order to pop the focal points up some, so there's still a few areas that haven't been painted yet. I used a very fine line Sharpie marker to do the original drawing on a piece of muslin and the coloring has been done with Inktense pencils and fabric medium.

Rob
wow--can not wait to see it all quilted!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:35 PM

2 more projects quilted today. The binding will start tomorrow, I hope. Both these are Christmas projects that have been sitting around for a while now. I always enjoy these VQWs, because they push me to focus on my own projects for a few days.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]583796[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]583797[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pb121218.jpg   pb121216.jpg  
Old 11-12-2017, 05:50 PM

Krista, I love the cardinals in the birch trees with that pale blue backgrounds. Beautiful.

Sue: that happy trees runner is so festive. Your pattern?

Ptf: what a cool improv quilt. The detail of smoke from chimneys is really clever.

Kalama: yay for chicken house roofs. When I was a kid, we didn't have chickens, but there was a chicken house that my sisters, friends, and I converted into "our" house. We decked it out with old tires as furniture, boxes for appliances, and had endless hours of imaginative play there. Enjoy your Monday that's all yours to sew!
Old 11-12-2017, 06:07 PM

So much creativity here this weekend! Last night I was up nearly all night with sick babies ( that time of year!) so I finished all my frogging then and started quilting again. I now have half the Fall quilt quilted. I've never made a quilt so fast! This was the first time I pin basted and it probably saved me hours of time! I'm quilting it on my Singer 15-91 and it's such a joy to quilt I can't stop.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rryder View Post

Here's what I spent the morning working on. It's not on the list of things I was going to work on, but it was bugging me so I decided to just deal with it. It's a fabric collage using some of the bits and pieces I've been saving in shoe boxes for all these years....

Rob
What a fun piece! I love the overall shape of it.