Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart Fabric

Well, I'm a glass half full kinda gal, so I'm going to be optimistic and hope that they DO keep their fabric departments. I still have two Walmarts that I go to for fabric.

So, Thanks for the happy news!

Blog Entries
    Well, hopefully they got the message with the large number of signatures on the petition, if they received it. Maybe that's the reason for their recent decision, if it's true. I sure hope so.

Blog Entries
    Well, just got back from the Walmart here that still has a fabric dept. No markdowns, just prices going up.

Blog Entries
    I worked at Wal-M. for almost 15 yrs. My experience with them as a company is that they put out taking this or that out of the stores, then reverse their decision.
    I believe that as long as sales are good in a store, they will keep the dept. They might reduce the size, but basics of quilting/sewing will be there, from my experience.
    They threatened to take our fabric dept. out here. We are a rural community of about 25,000. We signed petitions to not remove it. There were thousands of names on the petitions, and we will have the dept.
    I have gone more and more to online fabric shopping. The quilt fabric stores around here are closing rapidly. I believe it is due to the online sales. Lots of good results with them, for me, anyway.
    Mariah.

Ours is gone except a few expensive precuts,and the next closest one says when they remodel theirs is going too. I live in the country so the closest joAnns is about an hr away. Fabric shack is also bout an hour away ,they are very nice for the most part but 9.99 plus per yard.They do have awesome scrap tables though and I sure stock up when I get there. Thank goodness I am a thrifty scrappy quilter,I do occasionally get deals online though many sites have good clearance for 2.99 a yard and free shipping over certian amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemay
    I would like to know how they determine which stores have fabric & which don't! I have heard of so many rural Walmarts eliminating their fabric departments & leaving their customers with very long drives to other fabric stores. Our store was remodeled a year or so ago & they kept the fabric department- much to my delight & surprise. It is smaller, but still decent. I live north of LA in an area that has other fabric stores & they have fabric at my Walmart. But why do they close the departments of stores that leave their customes with not many, if any other choices?
    I was told that it depended on the manager of the local store as to whether or not the fabric section was kept or wiped out. Restoration would be a good idea, even in cities where there are quilt shops .

Blog Entries
    Would those of you that shop online for fabric please tell us where you find the best deals, sales, etc.

Thanks, Pat

I have seen the fabric at Wal-Marts and is not in bolts, only pre cut and packaged. They, or the close to me has a lot of kits. Still, it is better than nothing if you h ave no quilting store.

We have 3 Walmart stores in our town and they took the fabric out of everyone of them and put paper junk in it's place. I heard when Mama Walton died the kids decided they didn't want to bother with fabric so they took it out. What a bummer cause I bought alot of my fabric there. I hope it is true that they are bringing it back. What is funny is that they still stock quilting supplies but no fabric, what's the reason for that?

They're remodelling our wm, and my mom works there...she said just yesterday that they're keeping pre-cuts (fq's, charms, etc.) but getting rid of the cutting counter... :(

well, frankly I am so mad at Walmart. I live in the country and there is a Walmart 7 miles from me. They too took out the fabric dept. I have to travel into the city to get fabric at another Walmart store. There is a JoAnn's two minutes from them. Where is the common sense??. I don't go into Walmart anymore whereas before I would do a lot more shopping there. As far as I am concerned ....there loss.

Our local Wal-Mart never stopped selling fabric, so they've been getting the bulk of my fabric buying business over the years! :lol:

Our Walmart has been completely remodeled - JUST - First of September. They call our store a model store where they try out a lot of different setups, remodeling, etc. Our fabric department is GONE!! Not even precuts available. Next time I'm there, I'll try to get a hold of a manager and ask if it is coming back. Our city has Walmart, JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby. So maybe ours was taken away because of the other stores. I would LOVE to have the Fabric Department return. I saw on a Yahoo Group where signatures were requested to get fabrics back into Walmart stores.

I was just at Wal-Mart the other day and purchased some fabric for my soon to be grandson's quilt. The fabric is on bolts. They have 1 isle both sides with quilt fabric. Some pre cuts, but, not many.. they obviously are not selling as the fabric is. They even moved the flannel out to tables in the front isle. They did have the 5 yds for 5 dollars, but, that fabric is all gone with the exception of 2. They are getting in bolts as some is covered in plastic yet. The fabric dept I think was the busiest when I was there and they had a very competent woman cutting fabric looks like we will be keeping our fabric dept. Although much smaller, they have some nice fabric. Price was $4.48 yd for most.

We think all walmart stores are alike but it is obvious they aren't. Here are walmart sells bolt fabric and we do have 2 quilt stores too,but is always nice to have cheaper fabrics when wanting to make everyday quilts for thelittle ones.

Blog Entries
    I talked to a lady at our Walmart and she said that when they remodle in Jan. that they will only have the precut fabric, and she said that almost all of the stores that will carry fabric will be pre-cut. So who knows, hopefully they will carry something. Nothing close by us here to get fabric. Have a great week ladies.

Blog Entries
    WalMart in southside Oklahoma City took out their fabrics, too. But lately they have been phasing fabrics back in. I think they have seen the error of their way.

Hope that they bring fabric back...maybe the petition to WalMart that we signed did some good.
    dottie

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda_GA
    I just read on another quilting forum that Wal-Mart has announced it will be bringing back fabric to their stores. Has anyone here heard this? Oh, also that if they are remodeling the store they will not take the fabric away.

I so hope this is true, as we have very little choice in our small town.
    If you get what we have now, you probably won't be happy. Instead of actual fabric bolts, we have a small selection of pre-cuts: fat quarters, a few 5" squares, kits with several pieces of fabric, 1 yd. cuts, 2 yd. cuts, stuff like that.

I did buy a package of 8 fat quarters in batik prints to do a kids quilt in the turning twenty pattern. Paid way too much for the quality of the fabric-------what amounts to $6 a yard. Fabric is okay, but a long way from good.

quote] I was told that it depended on the manager of the local store as to whether or not the fabric section was kept or wiped out. Restoration would be a good idea, even in cities where there are quilt shops .[/quote]

I don't believe that. A lot of us talked to our manager and he said the decision was out of his hands.
    (not doubting YOUR word, just doubting what you were told)

Quote Originally Posted by PghPat
    Would those of you that shop online for fabric please tell us where you find the best deals, sales, etc.

Thanks, Pat
    Marshalls Dry Goods
    Thousand Of Bolts
    ebay (sometimes find a good buy)
    Connecting Threads

I was there yesterday at our local Wal-Mart. I was looking for some material to do a whack and stack. And was very surprised. I found something, and the price was right, so figured if it didn't work out, I wasn't out much. But I cut out the squares yesterday, and it is such fun. I'll have to go get sashing material to match. But I'll make all the squares first.

Pghpat: To Eagarbeez's list I would add Fabric.Com & Whittles.

Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    Quote Originally Posted by PghPat

Thanks, Pat
    Marshalls Dry Goods
    Thousand Of Bolts
    ebay (sometimes find a good buy)
    Connecting Threads
    I agree with the Marshalls, eBay and Connecting Threads. Have not tried the Thousand Of Bolts site. Many in my Quilting Guild are pleased with
    http://missouriquiltco.com/shop/

Oh my gosh!!! I can't believe my eyes. I so hope it's true that Wal-Mart is bringing back fabric to all their stores. Ours here in Clarksburg WV was remodeled three or so years ago and we were all devastated to learn that the fabric, sewing notion department was being removed. Everyone I talked to in the fabric section, and I was there a lot and talked to a lot of people, wrote and called Wal-Mart to express our unhappiness. Of course we had no effect on the powers that be. We do have a small Jo-Anne Fabric and several very, very nice local quilt shops, but Wal-Mart had some great fabric and very affordable. Please everyone, keep up posted if you can confirm. Thanks from West Virginia.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast