Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart Fabric

Hi I live over the hill in Santa Cruz and the Wal;mart in Mccarthy ranch off 237 and 880 last time I was there had fabric. Hope that it is still there because I don't get there that often but that's my first stop when I head over the hill.
    I wonder if you went on web for Walmart site and checked out the different stores to see if they have the fabric department?
    Good luck hope it is still there. kjym Kathy

A friend of mine in Michigan said that she was at one of the Wal-Mart stores (not sure which one sorry)& that they told her that they were going to carry fabric again as they had so many complaints when they quit! Hopefully they will!

I too like Connecting threads. Good price!!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    quote] I was told that it depended on the manager of the local store as to whether or not the fabric section was kept or wiped out. Restoration would be a good idea, even in cities where there are quilt shops .
    I don't believe that. A lot of us talked to our manager and he said the decision was out of his hands.
    (not doubting YOUR word, just doubting what you were told)[/quote]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

I also talked to the manager of the WalMart in Dade City, Florida. He also said that he begged to have the fabric dept stay in that store. It was removed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew
    They call our store a model store where they try out a lot of different setups, remodeling, etc.
    Say, they told us that here too. I think they think we'll think Oh Goodie like sheeps to the slaughter and love anything they do.
    I don't.

Have you tried buying fabric online, there a lots of nice sites

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltnmom
    I would love to see our fabric department come back. There is only one fabric store in town and they kinda have a corner on the market so to speak.
    This is one place that the "free-market system" needs to have competition. Remember MA BELL? Maybe that will bring prices back down. I am the eternal optimist...

Our Wal-mart, in Eastern NC, has pretty fabric, we have heard for two or three yers it was going out, but more has been added, now there are fat quarters and some pillowcase kits, go figure, our next close fabirc store, Hancocks is an hour away and we are 2 1/2 hrs away from a Joann's, on local Quilt shop but do not always want to pay $8 to $9 per yard. Hope Wal-Mart stays.

Our WalMart fabric section has been gone for 4-5 years/ The next year the HUGE fabric store (35 miles away) closed, and last year the quilt shop in town. there is a JoAnns 10 miles away and other quilting stores 20 or more away. I spend lots of time shopping on line but miss touching the fabric as I "shop"

Quote Originally Posted by SundarKoyal
    I live in the Silicon Valley of California, and NONE of the Walmarts here have ever had fabric departments. Though I have only lived in California for 5 years. I wish they would carry fabric - I would love to see what they would carry.
    I have been to 4 walmarts in the silicon valley. All but 1 still had fabric a month ago--the one in Mt. View, Fremont, & the San Jose Story Road. The store on Monterey Road lost their fabric dept. several years ago & the others seem to be shrinking. Needless to say, if they don't have the fabric dept., I don't seem to frequent them a often.

I was also told they are taking McDonalds out. Has anyone else heard or seen this happen?

Our Walmart in town is remodeling next year and they said they will keep the fabric dept. Yay!!!!!!!!!

You can go to:

Walmart.com and anything they have on there you can order and have it shipped to your local WM store for free. I don't think they have any fabric on there, but they do have tons of nice rulers, mats,batting,etc. A LOT cheaper than anywhere else.

Heres the direct link to their crafty stuff on there:

http://www.walmart.com/browse/_/N-90...=667479&depts=

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie
    I was also told they are taking McDonalds out. Has anyone else heard or seen this happen?
    I've never seen a Walmart WITH a McDonalds, LOL!

My store has said from the beginning of all this that are not going to quit carrying fabric, and they haven't. So, Im keeping my fingers crossed!

I hear that WalMart in Fresno, Ca. but after remodeling, they will have material but at a much smaller (quanity) scale. Most of our Wal-Marts here have gotten rid of their material. In Texas also. I guess Wal-Mart does not care about us. Here they are selling wedding,party, cake decorating stuff. Whats' with this big mucky mucks who don't really know who helps them suceed. Sorry just had to vent.

Blog Entries
    This concerns all of us on this topic. Did you all sign the petition?

oh i will so be doing a happy dance if they bring it back to mine! all i have now is fats and one yard cuts they are alot of batiks but it is not the best quality of fabric. i could usually find nice stuff before esp holiday things. oh i would be sooooo [email protected]

Banned
    I would LOVE LOVE for the fabric dept. to come back....
    That would be an answer to my PRAYERS......
    bopeep

I am visiting Williamsburg, VA and stopped by Walmart to pick up snacks, etc. I thought I'd take a look at the fabric department to compare it to ours back home. I couldn't find it so asked the gentleman in the paint department who had no customers where I could find the fabric. He said that they no longer had a fabric department. He said that nearly everyone working at the store told them not to close it but that the corporate office decided to anyway. This seems to be the trend. The store did have a few precuts, but the selection was very poor and not anything I would have wanted. So disappointing!

I think that the only reason they are closing the fabric departments is that they do not want a department where they have to pay a worker to man it full time. That is why most of the fabrics in the Walmart near me are precut. I did e-mail Walmart (hope it does some good).

Hi all,
    I heard recently that they were only putting the fabric
    in the"from the ground up stores", so I took this to mean
    only the new stores they were building now. Not bringing back
    the fabric to stores they had taken it out off. I so hope I
    misunderstood. I live in New Iberia, La we lost our Hancock's
    and our Wal Mart fabric. We now have a fabric store just starting good, but was without for a while. And we have quite a few quilters, just don't understand the idea of shutting
    down when people need fabric.(can never get enough) LOL

Sure hope that is the truth. We still have our fabric department but they are always running out of the things I need.Our Quilt shop here (only one) is way expensive 9-14 a yard.But she has 50% off twice a year. I hit those. She just had a 40% off and I got 5 yards of Christmas fabric;)

Our store was remodeled and they took the fabric department out completely. I am not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda_GA
    I just read on another quilting forum that Wahl-Mart has announced it will be bringing back fabric to their stores. Has anyone here heard this? Oh, also that if they are remodeling the store they will not take the fabric away.

I so hope this is true, as we have very little choice in our small town.
    I certainly hope so too. I was in our Wal-Mart store yesterday, and they had bolts upon bolts of fabric in bins in and around the fabric dept. :thumb up:

They just remodeled a store here and there is no fabric to speak of.... just "packets"... like squares, fat quarters, etc..... there is another store not far from me that does have solid fabric hanging on the wall in 2 yard package..... nothing else really.... sure does look good on the wall with all the colors hanging there....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast