Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric >

Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric

Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric

Old 01-23-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by ebony
fellow quilters i am sorry.
i had no idea this question would generate such strong feelings.
it's just that as a new quilter i am trying to do all the 'right things'. trying to make everything perfect the first time out-from pattern selection,to fabric,to color, thread,etc.
am i making it harder than it should be?
grandma took old clothes and made beautiful quilts( i still have one of hers and it is 43 years old) and i feel guilty about not shopping in the 'right' stores.
i can't seem to get it right.
please forgive me if i stepped on anyones toes.

You did nothing wrong. It is a good question to ask when you are just starting out.
We all ruffle each other feathers like any family but we all have a common thread in the fact that we make quilts.

For years I put off quilting because I went into a quilt shop to get some filler fabrics and I had mentioned that most of the fabric in my planned lap quilt was from walmart. Well I got an ear full and I did not quilt for YEARS because I felt if I couldn't afford it then I couldn't do it.

My reason for posting was to let you know that it is okay to shop at those places
So I was just wanting to let you know that if you want fabric form wlamart joanne or lqs then you get what you want there is no wrong way to make a quilt it is your artistic expression.

Dont let this thread scare you off we are all really a nice bunch :)
Old 01-23-2010, 04:31 PM

Ebony - I have purchased decent / nice fabric from both JoAnns and Walmart. I have also purchased incorrectly printed and / or off grain fabric for a premium cost at the LAQ. Rule of thumb - feel the fabric, look at is carefully, buy what you like and what you can afford.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by mtnmama
When I first started quilting, there were a lot of things to buy, cutting mat, rotary cutter, rulers, markers etc. I thought to save money, why would I spend big bucks at the quilt store on fabric when I could go to Jo-Ann's and get it for a lot less. Well, that first irish chain quilt that I hand made, hand quilted and is still hanging on my bedroom wall is about three shades lighter blue, it has faded so much and it is not in direct sunlight. So, there is a big difference in the quality of the fabric. You live and learn.
YES YES YES. I could have written this. I too didn't really know any better when I first started quilting. I made two bedsize quilts, hand quilted them. Spent years, yes years, working on them. Both have faded terribly. One bled even though I prewashed all the fabric. I also bought polyester batting not knowing any better. I have learned if I am going to invest that kind of time and effort into my quilts, which I consider works of art and future heirlooms, I will not skimp on the quality of materials that go into them ever again. I will not buy Jo Ann fabric or Walmart unless it is a quicky utility quilt. That said, we do buy what we can afford. But remember you get what you pay for. If you just practicing or making quicky utility quilts (not meant derogatory) or quilts for charity that kids will beat the heck out of by all means you can go with less expensive fabric. Deals can be had for quality fabric as well. I was just in Jo Ann's the other day taking advantage of their W&N batting sale and saw fabrics in there priced at LQS prices but most definitely NOT LQS quality. I have often taken advantage of my LQS sales and gotten great fabric for 3 or 4 dollars per yard. Many on line places sell quality fabric at savings as well. My advice for what it's worth, is buy the absolute BEST you can afford. Don't get walmart $1 per yard just cause you perceive it as a good deal. Remember you are investing hours and hours of your time to make a beautiful quilt. How frustrating after all that time and effort to have it fall apart of fade to the point that it isn't even what you created any more. Just my .02
Please help me, why should polyester batting not be used?
Old 01-23-2010, 04:37 PM

Feeling is believing! It still may wash up icky, or shrink a ton, but wash it first and you'll solve most of those issues. Our ancestors made quilts from worn clothing and they made it work. Not everyone can afford $9 a yard, so feel your way through and learn what good fabric feels like. You can find it everywhere. And it's probably on sale!
Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 PM

it's just that as a new quilter i am trying to do all the 'right things'. trying to make everything perfect the first time out-from pattern selection,to fabric,to color, thread,etc.
grandma took old clothes and made beautiful quilts( i still have one of hers and it is 43 years old) and i feel guilty about not shopping in the 'right' stores.
If you stepped on anyone's toes, they probably needed to be stepped on! :P

The 'right' way to quilt, is with love. Yeah, it's helpful if the fabric lasts too, but the only thing that matters is the people who see your quilts, the ones who are comforted by them, also feel the love you put into them and treasure them because you made them!

We get what we can afford, that's why so many different places sell fabric!
Old 01-23-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
There isn't a reason to not use quality fabric. There are too many online shops that have sales and clearances that will beat Walmart or Joann's fabric prices. Stock up on the basic neutrals and blenders and your favorite color. Always buy backing fabric when there is great sale. I'll buy muslin and fusibles at Joann's with a coupon but seldom buy fabric there. I don't mind buying a couple yards of $9 a yard fabric when I know I have the basic colors to go with it in my stash bought for a few dollars.
do you have a fav online shop that you use
Hancock's of Paducah, their sale area, Quilt in a Day, fabric frenzy, fabric.com to name a few.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:06 PM

I just got 8 quilts in from a man that his grandmother made and he wants me to do some work on them. They are all made of old scraps and clothing. Some are tied, 2 are actually reversible so I am tearing them apart to make 4 quilts, some have no batting. Some have double knit, single knit, fleece and everything in between. It is amazing how they look after I get them machine quilted, a new binding on them and then washed up. We can make due with what we have but I do love a bargain!
Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 PM

my comment on this is...I do tons of quilts for PROJECT LINUS, usually about 8-10 per month and there is NO WAY that I could afford to buy fabric from the quilting shops at 8-10 dollars a yard, to give away. I do the "feel it" test too, and I wash it, so if its gonna fade or shrink, it happens before I sew with it. So far, I havent had any of my quilts fall apart;O also try to check the on-line sources for sales and cleanance items, and I usually go for the 2-3 a yard items; If you can afford to spend more, good for you - go to it, but for most of us (on a budget), we have to find what works best - I also like Hancocks.com on line and Fabrics.com and watch for their sales all the time. Anyone got other web sites that are good to keep an eye on?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

I buy the best I can afford. I shop at Hancocks Fabrics and have found some wonderful fabrics there that feel wonderful and have been washed a number of times and hold up well. I shop my LQS and have found some wonderful buys there. I buy what I like and what I can afford.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Newby0709
[
Please help me, why should polyester batting not be used?
What happened to me is the polyester batting fell apart before I completed quilting. But that was because it was not a good batting. Polyester can be used. Quilters Dream is a lovely polyester bat to work with. I often use a cotton poly blend as well. And for tied quilts I have used polyester high loft batting. I did not mean to imply polyester shouldn't be used. Sorry for misleading.