Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric >

Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric

Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric

Old 01-23-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
You buy what you can afford.
But if like most people now days and you have to watch your pennies dont let Walmart or Joanne fabric stop you from a wonderful hobby
I second that!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:20 PM

I buy 90% of my fabrics from Joann's and I've never had a quilt fray or fade. An LQS in our area recently closed and had a huge sale: $3-4 per yard and I bought a lot of it. Brought it home, stored it with my stash and now I can't tell which is LQS or Joann's. I need to "create"-I'll take fabric from anywhere. The quilt police don't get my quilts as gifts anyhow LOL-they're for friends who appreciate the work, not the cost of fabric.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:25 PM

How do you know the fabric is really what you want if you order online? Don't you need to see and feel it before you buy?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:40 PM

Here's a very informative article regarding fabric grades:
http://craftblog.stitchingthenightaw...al-or-no-deal/

I shop on-line, at my LQS, and I also shop at JoAnn Fabrics and Wal-Mart. There’s nothing wrong with this, you just have to know how to recognize quality when you see it - When I was learning to sew clothing, I was taught the "feel test" and it works for me!

Another rule of thumb, if I hold the fabric up and can see through it then I don't buy it! The majority of the time these fabrics will not hold up and often end up mis-shapen after washing.

Just my 2-cents...

MERRYJ: Speaking solely for myself - when I order on-line I usually stick to fabric makers I know and have "felt" before :lol: I've not purchased anything on-line, knock on wood, that wasn't quality fabric.

EBONY: http://www.FabShopHop.com has a good list. It's a start :) http://www.fabshophop.com/listofshops.asp
Old 01-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mtnmama
When I first started quilting, there were a lot of things to buy, cutting mat, rotary cutter, rulers, markers etc. I thought to save money, why would I spend big bucks at the quilt store on fabric when I could go to Jo-Ann's and get it for a lot less. Well, that first irish chain quilt that I hand made, hand quilted and is still hanging on my bedroom wall is about three shades lighter blue, it has faded so much and it is not in direct sunlight. So, there is a big difference in the quality of the fabric. You live and learn.
YES YES YES. I could have written this. I too didn't really know any better when I first started quilting. I made two bedsize quilts, hand quilted them. Spent years, yes years, working on them. Both have faded terribly. One bled even though I prewashed all the fabric. I also bought polyester batting not knowing any better. I have learned if I am going to invest that kind of time and effort into my quilts, which I consider works of art and future heirlooms, I will not skimp on the quality of materials that go into them ever again. I will not buy Jo Ann fabric or Walmart unless it is a quicky utility quilt. That said, we do buy what we can afford. But remember you get what you pay for. If you just practicing or making quicky utility quilts (not meant derogatory) or quilts for charity that kids will beat the heck out of by all means you can go with less expensive fabric. Deals can be had for quality fabric as well. I was just in Jo Ann's the other day taking advantage of their W&N batting sale and saw fabrics in there priced at LQS prices but most definitely NOT LQS quality. I have often taken advantage of my LQS sales and gotten great fabric for 3 or 4 dollars per yard. Many on line places sell quality fabric at savings as well. My advice for what it's worth, is buy the absolute BEST you can afford. Don't get walmart $1 per yard just cause you perceive it as a good deal. Remember you are investing hours and hours of your time to make a beautiful quilt. How frustrating after all that time and effort to have it fall apart of fade to the point that it isn't even what you created any more. Just my .02
Old 01-23-2010, 02:33 PM

Patrice hit the nail right on the head.

I've said it before -- location of purchase is no guarantee of quality. I've bought some stuff at the LQS that turned out to be garbage and some that was wonderful. The same was true for the fabric I bought at Walmart and at Joanns. You have to feel the fabric and check for quality no matter where you shop.

I especially like Patrice's comment about noses and their purpose. I agree 100%. No one should judge what fabric/store folks choose to spend their money on. Get what you like and can afford in the best quality possible. We should move on from where folks shop and to celebrating the wonderful art they create.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:08 PM

what you can afford for the purpose you need. I am not planning on my quilts lasting 100 yrs... my requirements for fabric is "is it sturdy enough to be loved and washed for 20 yrs?" with this in mind... I think Walmart 4$ fabric meets the standard, some fabric at walmart is far better quality than others that LOOK the same, feel it.
I buy most of my fabric from joanns now because of the coupons and all of the notions they have, their fabric is not created equal either! feel it.
I have just started buying online and dont like to do it, price seems high for me and I cant really match colors and of course... I cant feel it.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:10 PM

fellow quilters i am sorry.
i had no idea this question would generate such strong feelings.
it's just that as a new quilter i am trying to do all the 'right things'. trying to make everything perfect the first time out-from pattern selection,to fabric,to color, thread,etc.
am i making it harder than it should be?
grandma took old clothes and made beautiful quilts( i still have one of hers and it is 43 years old) and i feel guilty about not shopping in the 'right' stores.
i can't seem to get it right.
please forgive me if i stepped on anyones toes.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Administrator

HEY! you didn't do anything wrong by asking the question. it comes up all the time.

relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax. it isn't your fault we can't resist arguing with each other about it. we can't help ourselves.

in fact, if you did a search you'd see that we debate the topic at least 3 times a month, every month. like clockwork.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :XD:
Old 01-23-2010, 04:20 PM

thanks