Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walking Foot Adventures >

Walking Foot Adventures

Walking Foot Adventures

Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 PM

I only use my walking foot when doing stitch in the ditch quilting, or other straight line quilting. It is too bulky to me to use for other stitching, it doesn't do a 1/4" seam, I would rather do free motion quilting if at all possible. Guess that means I don't love the foot, but I am glad I have it when I need it.
Another name for the walking foot is "plaid matcher" as it feeds in both layers of fabric and keeps plaids lined up so they don't get out of alignment as sewing.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 PM

I use the walking foot, but find that I have to sew very slow or the stitches become very small--even though I have the stitch set at a longer stitch. A lady from Bernina told me to remember that it is a "walking"' foot and not a "running foot." I like to use it to sew on binding and to quilt with if I am making straight lines.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by New knee
I use the walking foot, but find that I have to sew very slow or the stitches become very small--even though I have the stitch set at a longer stitch. A lady from Bernina told me to remember that it is a "walking"' foot and not a "running foot." I like to use it to sew on binding and to quilt with if I am making straight lines.
I was told to go slow with the walking foot and I find that to be very good advice. I'm so happy to have the foot as it feeds everything so evenly and my fabric doesn't pucker.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:40 AM

The walking foot is for straight stitching.
I bought one many years ago for one of mu Viking machines, it is still in the box NEW. I used it once... I do not need it for I have upper and lower tenn adjustments and a scensor foot and haven't ever needed it.
ConnieF
Old 12-15-2010, 02:45 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BettyGee
I was told to go slow with the walking foot and I find that to be very good advice.
absolutely spot-on advice. which is why they don't call it a "Pedal to the Metal Like There's No Tomorrow" foot.

don't ask how often i forget that little detail and have to unstitch. :lol:
Old 12-15-2010, 05:53 AM

My older Pfaff has a built in walking foot. It snaps down to use and up when not. I use it down on almost all sewing I do. It makes it much easier sewing. That is one of the best features on that machine.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:29 AM

I bought a generic walking foot mainly because I have 4 different kinds of machines.One is a 1950's Morse,which was made by White.Then I have a Montgomery Ward that DH bought me in 1977.The last one is a Singer.I also have a Pfaff I got from the job I had for 20 years working in a sewing factory.So a generic foot was almost necessary.I have used it on all and I love it.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
Ok, I'm not all that new to quilting but...what is the difference between a regular foot and a walking foot? I know the darning foot and button hole but not so much a Walking foot? Can anyone help??
A walking foot feeds the top fabric at the same rate as the feed dogs feed the bottom fabric, it is especially useful on plaids, quilted items where the layers tend to shift, and on velvets and slippery fabrics. The tendency with a regular foot is for the presser foot to push the top layer towards you while the feed dogs pull the bottom fabric away from you causing misalignment. Hope this helps, its a great item and I keep mine on my 401 all the time. I use it for both straight and zig zag stitches. :-)
Old 12-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by AnitaSt
Originally Posted by jfowles
Can someone provide a website as to where to get, prices and how to use a walking foot. I just use my regular foot for stitch in the ditch and it seems to do fine, however if there is something better out there I would like to try it. From what I have seen they look big and complicated. I have a Bernina Activa 135 sewing machine that I love, it seems to me that their walking feet are over $100.00 and I am just not willing to invest that much without knowing if it will help.
I have a Bernina 430 and the walking foot did cost about $120...but I use it so much that it's earned it's keep. I wish it weren't so pricey, but it improves my sewing so much!
If you know whether your machine is a low shank or high, or slant shank you can find these on ebay and other online sewing sites. Some of the newer machines walking feet are sold for that brand only, so you can find those on ebay or online retailers as well just make sure they will fit your particular machine. Also some of them fit 5mm machines, and some 7mm so if your feed dogs are the wider ones and you want to zig zag, be sure you get the one for wider feed dogs. :)
Old 12-16-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine
My older Pfaff has a built in walking foot. It snaps down to use and up when not. I use it down on almost all sewing I do. It makes it much easier sewing. That is one of the best features on that machine.

I also have an older pfaff (7570) and use my walking most of the time except for free motion. There just isn't any comparison in my book for this feature. I also use it for many decorative stitches.....just have to remember to change the needle plate from the single hole to the wider rectangle type one or else I break a needle. Can't imagine not using or having one.