Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking foot

I got a generic one for my Bernina from my husband and son for Christmas. It is wonderful. Not easy to put on, but worth it! I used it for the rolled up pillow case pattern too, as it holds all the layers together when you sew that long seam. I like the idea for things like handbags too. I am definitely going to try that. I think my husband found mine on ebay.

Blog Entries
    I've got one ordered. I sure hope it works. Don't know a thing about them either but I'm sure going to try!

Quote Originally Posted by mamaw
    A walking foot is a great investment and would recommend paying a little extra for an open toed one if you can.
    Excellent point :)

I love mine. You can quilt a grid, whatever size you want without ever drawing a line, using the bars. Best investment I ever made, besides BSR.

I use my walking foot. I love it it prevents uneven matching of fabric.

I'm new to quilting and on my second quilt I bought the walking foot to do my quilting in the ditch. It's great! So much better
    and easier to do my stitching.

Quote Originally Posted by sewn3w
    I also have a walking foot I am having trouble with. It is difficult to attach. It is the correct foot, I took my machine in to the shop for a cleaning and we put the foot on there. The sales staff is very knowlegable and helpful. But after I got home realized there are no instructions to help me learn how to use it. No helpful hints, nothing. Augh!!!!
    You can find a video here!

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    can't imagine life without a walking foot. lol... in addition to working on a sandwiched quilt and its binding, they are indispensable for patchworking flannel. just bought an inexpensive brother to keep at my mom's and ordered the walking foot along with it. :-)

I find my walking foot is essential. Keep it handy along with the screwdriver that came with my machine. I guess your success depends on the brand of sewing machine? I have two Vikings, one old (metal parts) and the other medium-aged. Both work well with the WF.

FANTASTIC~ I truly love mine... If you doing any in the ditch quilting or many other uses... Definately a plus!!!!!

I have a Janome and I love the walking foot when I'm doing anything with batting. I don't understand what arm fell apart. I'd take it back to the store where purchased and ask for a replacement and another demonstration. Then sit down and work with it while you are still there so you totally understand how it should work. Take it off the machine and put it back on while there! Something's not right here. For the one on the Janome, be sure the little arm is over the thumb screw that holds the needle in. Very important to get that little flapper-thing in the right place.

Has anyone used their walking foot on a featherweight? My store said the one for the Janome will work on my FW because they both are low shank machines. I haven't gotten the FW out to see if it works though. Comments, please.

...a very useful tool. I have one for my New Home 8000...yes, I'm old school and it's great.

This is a good subject for me! I'm just about to give a walking foot a try! I'll let you know what I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara
    Ok, I don't have a walking foot yet, so before I go out and buy one this week what do you think about them pros and cons.
    I'll be useing for straight line quilting.
    It a must for a quilter good luck by the way beautiful quilt

My sister gave one to me and I absolutely love it. Attach your line guide and away you go for perfect sewing.

I've never "not" used my walking foot when quilting straight lines or putting on the binding. Use the darning/free motion foot for FMQ.

Oh. That is to bad. Maybe call the company that manufactures your machine. I cannot imagine not having mine now that I have used it.

I don't understand how you can't use one. I've tried it and I get a pucker. No way I would do without one.

Love it, love it , love it.....bought one for each of my machines. Yes they are different, so make sure you get the right one. The key is not to hurry the foot along, it moves at its own pace. I use it for decorative stitches on blocks, applique (with layers) and of course general quilting. Have to remind myself to change back to my regular foot or 1/4" foot for piecing.

Oh, I really love mine. I just have a super-basic Brother machine and found one for my model on Amazon. Now I don't know how I did without it and my 1/4" piecing foot!

My walking foot is pretty easy to attach. It does have it's own screw that is longer than the one I use for my other feet.I need a system for storing my feet when I switch them out so I don't lose a piece!

I don't know of a con!

As far as I am concerned there is NO Cons to using a walking foot!

Walking foots are a must for quilting - I have an extra one - contact me for more info :thumbup:

I have a Pfaff with a built in walking foot. It was the main reason that I bought my Pfaff. I love it. I wouldn't sew without it. I am sure you will love yours too.

YES YES YES
    Get a walking foot. I would not be without one.
    I have been quilting for over 30 years, and find it invaluable.

Run don't walk to the store.......

I have a wonderful small sewing shop 25 miles from me, and they loaned me a WF for my Viking to see if I like it. I thought that was awesome! I have'nt tried it yet, but from all the comments I've seen today I'm out to the machine to try it! Thank to you all.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast