Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking foot

I debated for a long time whether to get one because they are so expensive for a Bernina sewing machine. I found a good deal though and went ahead and I love it. I didn't see a huge amount of difference in my stid but I'm sure the quilt sandwich goes through much smoother and I didn't have to rearrange my fabric as much. Go ahead and try one, hopefully you won't have to pay a fortune , I understand they aren't very expensive for most machines.

reply to walking foot
    I have a small sewing shop 25 miles from me, and when I questioned the need for a WF for my Viking, he loaned me one to take home and try it out. I thought that was awesome! After reading all your comments, I'm on my way to try it out.Thanks to you all, once again!

reply to walking foot
    I have a small sewing shop 25 miles from me, and when I questioned the need for a WF for my Viking, he loaned me one to take home and try it out. I thought that was awesome! After reading all your comments, I'm on my way to try it out.Thanks to you all, once again!

Quote Originally Posted by Momma_K
    Oh Wow!Hate to hear that Jennifer! I don't have one and want to get one. I wouldn't know where to start to get one. I have the Brother Project Runway series only it's like that kind, not the Runway Series it'self, but it's just like it. Make sense? I've been wondering if I could get one for my machine and how much they cost. Anyone know? I just found out I'm going to be a great Aunt 3 times over! So, I'll be doing blankets for a while outside of making one for my Gr8t GD! I'm so blessed!
    I ordered mine from the brother web site. Around $40. www.brother.com You put in what machine you have and it gives you a list of what is available.

I LOVE my walking foot. It makes all the difference in the world for going over anything thick. Mine was worth every penny (about $100). I bought mine with Christmas money a few years ago. I usually try to spread out Christmas money so that I don't spend it all on just one thing. But that was what I really wanted and that was the only way I could afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    Fantastic-it is made to go over the thick quilt sandwich-the feel dogs and walking foot working together so the fabric won't pull. It is great for SID and gentle curves-not for FMQ. If you plan to do much machine quilting, it is a must!
    What do you use for FMQ? I thought that you would have to have the walking foot to do the FMQ as well.

The first walking foot I had was a look-a-like for my machine and broke the second time I used it. It was also difficult to put on so.....I went ahead and bought the one made for my machine, Bernina 1530 and love it.

Blog Entries
    you will love a walking foot

I have an OLD Viking sewing machine and need to get a walking foot. I checked the Viking web site and they do not go back that far. I messed up a nice baby quilt by the fabric not going through nicely. Any suggestions on where to get it? It is model 64 60 made around 1977. I love it and will not give it up, sewen many tent, jeans, and upholstery, as I raised 3 sons.

You do not use your walking foot for FMQ. You use a darning/ free motion foot to FMQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Nana Julie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    Fantastic-it is made to go over the thick quilt sandwich-the feel dogs and walking foot working together so the fabric won't pull. It is great for SID and gentle curves-not for FMQ. If you plan to do much machine quilting, it is a must!
    What do you use for FMQ? I thought that you would have to have the walking foot to do the FMQ as well.

Do you use the same walking foot for both old and newer Viking?

Blog Entries
    I would not own a machine that I could not use a walking foot on! One of the BEST inventions ever!~)

Get one they are great for doing layers and straight line stitching. And for any other kind of sewing of blocks that are thicker than normal like ragged edge blocks. You won't regret it.

Blog Entries
    never use mine. I have to adjust the tension too much. I just use the rgular foot and make the stitches length longer.

Couldn't live without it.

Jennifer,
    That sounds like a cold hearted LQS and for now on would take my business elsewhere. I can't believe the lack of support here.

I have a Pfaff that has built in IDT, (Integrated Dual Feed) right there on the machine so it doesn't need a walking foot, but my older Pfaffs do require one. I bought the WF for the older Pfaff two years ago from a Pfaff dealer in Wisconsin. I talked to him and ordered it over the phone and he told me that many of them are plastic but the one he has for my Pfaff 262 was ALL metal. I had to raise the thread cutter on the back of the pressure bar before I could put the WF on but it works like a charm. I love it. You might give him a call to see if he has one for your particular make or go to his website and email him.

Accurate Sewing Center
    14636 W. National Ave.
    New Berlin, WI 53151
    www.accusew.com
    [email protected]
    (262) 782-2225

Vernell in Austin

I used mine alot. I broke it yesterday so I need to go get another one. I still have one for my bigger machine but I used the one for my little brother to piece flannel and sew stretchy fabrics!

Blog Entries
    I'm currently researching which one is the best quality to use on my FW and 201. www.april1930s.com has some very knowledgable information, also April seems to really know her stuff. I'm driving 400 miles to take an attachments course with her.

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't be without mine. It is a necessaty when making quilts.
    Spend the money.
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene
    Quote Originally Posted by Momma_K
    Oh Wow!Hate to hear that Jennifer! I don't have one and want to get one. I wouldn't know where to start to get one. I have the Brother Project Runway series only it's like that kind, not the Runway Series it'self, but it's just like it. Make sense? I've been wondering if I could get one for my machine and how much they cost. Anyone know? I just found out I'm going to be a great Aunt 3 times over! So, I'll be doing blankets for a while outside of making one for my Gr8t GD! I'm so blessed!
    You can get one at Keepsake Quilting for only $11.95. That's where I got mine. You will need a low shank size for the Brother.

Darlene, Thanks for the helpful info! Sure appreciate all the help here...BTW...Love you cute avitar, she's so sweet looking.
    :XD:

Quote Originally Posted by vschieve
    Jennifer,
    That sounds like a cold hearted LQS and for now on would take my business elsewhere. I can't believe the lack of support here.

I have a Pfaff that has built in IDT, (Integrated Dual Feed) right there on the machine so it doesn't need a walking foot, but my older Pfaffs do require one. I bought the WF for the older Pfaff two years ago from a Pfaff dealer in Wisconsin. I talked to him and ordered it over the phone and he told me that many of them are plastic but the one he has for my Pfaff 262 was ALL metal. I had to raise the thread cutter on the back of the pressure bar before I could put the WF on but it works like a charm. I love it. You might give him a call to see if he has one for your particular make or go to his website and email him.

Accurate Sewing Center
    14636 W. National Ave.
    New Berlin, WI 53151
    www.accusew.com
    [email protected]
    (262) 782-2225

Vernell in Austin
    Thats so sweet of you to go to this trouble for another...kind hearts don't go un-noticed!

Love mine! Couldn't quilt without it. I love the cuddle fabrics, and believe me I find it impossible to sew them without it. Try a new one if you're doesn't work :thumbup: .

They are great. I have one for my Bernina 440QE and have a built in one on my Pfaff 7550. Even feed will make joining layers together.

Linda Loo,
    I see you are in Round Rock. I am in So. Austin. I love Austin Sew and Vac south on Brodie; have lifetime membership to Embroidery and Sewing Club and Jennifer Clements is such a mentor for ALL sewing questions. I have never been to Round Rock store but south store has a really nice quilt fabric collection. Hear RR store has even bigger floor. I love this LQS.
    Vernell in Austin

Tamara
    I have one for each of my machines and wouldn't be without them. I have an old singer machine and it's walking foot is not the open toe, so if you have a choice I'd say get the open toe walking foot. In other words the front part of the foot has more open space in the middle to see the stitches and your turning points easier. My old singer I use mainly for free motion quilting etc. Will try to find the open toe walking foot for my old singer someday.

Good Luck

Suzy

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast