Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking foot

For a Brother sewing machine, you need a low shank walking foot. I think that Singer is a slant shank foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Momma_K
    Oh Wow!Hate to hear that Jennifer! I don't have one and want to get one. I wouldn't know where to start to get one. I have the Brother Project Runway series only it's like that kind, not the Runway Series it'self, but it's just like it. Make sense? I've been wondering if I could get one for my machine and how much they cost. Anyone know? I just found out I'm going to be a great Aunt 3 times over! So, I'll be doing blankets for a while outside of making one for my Gr8t GD! I'm so blessed!

they are great. I just purchased A bernina 440 quilters edition and was lucky enough to have one included with the sale. I just used it for straight line stitching and was very pleased. Lenghten the stitch and had no problems with puckering....

I have a walking foot for my Bernina. The first few times that I used it, I could not really tell that it helped. It also seemed to "clunk" a lot. When I went back and read the instructions, I didn't have it on right. Now it works like a charm. I really, really like it for straight quilting. It keeps the layers in line. - Cynthia

I recently started using my walking foot and I agree with all the positive feedback you have received so far. I am loving it! I first put it on to do binding and I will never do binding without it. Never thought I'd say I like to do binding but I do now. Makes it so easy. So to quote someone who gave me advice earlier this year...run, don't walk, and get yourself that foot!!!!!!!

I purchased mine for upholstery fabric but it is great for quilting, well worth the money :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Love mine, can't even imagine not using it. The brand ones are more expensive - Did not know they had the "generic" type. You must know if it is a long or short shank. Also, when putting it on make sure the lever goes over the screw on the right. Price wise, check out them on line & they should also give instructions. Good Luck!

I use my walking foot for piecing as well. keeps them from puckering.

Quote Originally Posted by Momma_K
    Oh Wow!Hate to hear that Jennifer! I don't have one and want to get one. I wouldn't know where to start to get one. I have the Brother Project Runway series only it's like that kind, not the Runway Series it'self, but it's just like it. Make sense? I've been wondering if I could get one for my machine and how much they cost. Anyone know? I just found out I'm going to be a great Aunt 3 times over! So, I'll be doing blankets for a while outside of making one for my Gr8t GD! I'm so blessed!
    Here is a website that has Brother Sewing Machine Parts.

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bro...FQoLbAodLFXOEg

I got one for my Brother and it works great!

Quote Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
    I use my walking foot for piecing as well. keeps them from puckering.
    Does anyone know of an attachment for the walking foot, like a guidebar to the side so you can do cross hatching without having to mark every line?

I use mine for anything that has layers. I love it!!

Wouldn't be without one

when quilting either a straight line or a SID, I think the Walking Foot is a big necessity. NO PUCKERS. Otherwise, you run the risk. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of ripping out stitches.

I can't imagine working without one now. Pcs. of any thickness at all need a walking foot.
    For those having trouble with one you must have it set up wrong. Just give it one more try to see what the prob. might be. Or just ask somebody close to you to ck it for you. I promise you'll love it once you get that problem figured out.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    I hated mine. Threw it out. The thing wouldn't work for anything on my White. Called all over and then the one arm fell off. I will never use one again, there's not enough money in the world to pay me to.
    LOL* This did kind of make me smile because my walking foot really frustrated me too. I don't know if I got as frustrated as you did there lol*, or if I'm using it incorrectly or what but I bought it six years ago and still don't like it. Lol* Some people seem to really love theirs though. Go figure lol*

Quote Originally Posted by jean knapp
    never use mine. I have to adjust the tension too much. I just use the rgular foot and make the stitches length longer.
    Me too and I do like using the open toed satin foot one as well.

Blog Entries
    Can"t quilt without it. I never heard of any one having a problem with one. And I can't imagine even trying to quilt without one.

Love it, love it, love it!

I have a walking and use it all the time.Get a much neater job using it.

Blog Entries
    Don't know what I ever did without it....

Blog Entries
    I have one for my Janome and love it - really makes putting borders and binding on much easier and smoother. Wouldn't do with it!

Darlaine

I use mine all the time, even when piecing the quilt top. It seems to help keep the fabric even. Linda

Senior Member stitchntimesewing's Avatar
    Get it from amazon. I went to two different lqs and they wanted 50.00 and up. On amazon I only paid 19.99 and with shipping it was under 25.00. I used it and it was awesome.

Before you buy, go check out ebay and google for better prices. I was at JoAnn Fabric last week and was going to buy one to go with my Viking machine. The sales lady told me it would be $109 plus tax. Well I wasn't too happy about paying that much for a foot, so I came home and got it online for 24.95, no tax. I received it in the mail today and have already been sewing away on it.

I have used my friend's walking foot once and loved it. I have an "old" 1966 Bernina 730 and the walking foot from the Bernina dealer is $175. Someone suggested I try ebay and it was still $75. Does anyone know of a source or have a walking foot for the 730? I really find these threads educational. You ladies are the best!

Blog Entries
    I have a Viking 980 and my walking foot is a gift from Heaven. All the feet to my machine that I use regularly I have purchased separately from the machine. They give you a box of feet and none are the ones you want to quilt with.Shirley Ann in Alger.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast