Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking foot

I wouldn't be without mine. My Horizen has it built in, I bought the 1/4" foot and the SID foot that works on the walking foot. I did not want to use the ones that came with the machine because that would not work with the walking foot.

The walking foot helps to keep your fabric even. When it is just the feed dogs on the machine, it tends to pull the bottom fabric a slight bit more. On my old machine I did everything I could with the walking foot on the machine, it too was a Janome.

community benefactor
    I have a walking foot & love it, I am sorry I was ever w/o it.

I use mine all the time. No problems.

Sounds like you had a bad walkng foot an a poor LQS. Would not go back there again.

My Pfaff has a built in walking foot or IDT feed. That is one of the many reasons that I love to sew on it. I always engage the IDT when I quilt. It makes it so much easier. When I had a Singer, I never could find a walking foot that worked very good.

I am so sorry to hear about the problems some of you are having with the walking foot! And, the walking foot fell apart? That I am not sure of why. Maybe the new ones are not made very well.
    I purchased 1 a few years ago from Hancock Fabrics with a 50% off coupon. I love it!!!! The worst part is remembering to put the funny looking slingshot finger onto/over the screw that holds the sewing machine needle on, BEFORE I attach the screw to hold the walking foot on to the foot pin. Once you master installing it - you will love it!!! And don't try to be a speed demon! LOL

Blog Entries
    Haven't used it for piecing but will definitely give it a try -

I love the information I get here.

Darlaine

I have a foot and just made my first baby quilt. Don"t know what I would have done without it.

I went to Hancocks where I bought my Bernina and the proper walking foot for it costs $150.00 My husband said Forget that too much. You know I never say that when he wants a special tool. He did build me a quilting frame thou. Marvel

I use mine for attaching the bindings mostly.

Banned
    Be sure you're putting the walking foot on exactly right--needle in the right position, presser foot in right position, being sure walking foot is centered so your needle goes through OK and straight through the hole. Lots of things to watch but pay attention to each step, and though it seems hard at first, you will eventually get it and find it hard to imagine you ever did without it. It's such a useful thing to have--that's why the high-end machines are starting to have it built into their newer models.

Blog Entries
    Go for it. It is great for quilting. I've had one for years and love it. It really does work for me! I don't think you will ever regret the purchase.

Blog Entries
    My Pfaff has dual fabric feed built in and I love it. When I don't want to use it, it just lifts up out of the way without detatching.

I love mine, use it a lot

I have been quilting for 25 plus years, I finally broke down about five years ago and bought a walking foot, it turned out to be the next best thing to sliced bread for my quilting. I too had problems using it at first, but I went to a sewing machine dealer in town and they showed me how to use it correctly. Once you start using it and learn how it works I'm pretty sure you will want to use it all the time, it really is a great tool once you figure it out :D :lol:

The one criticism of a walking foot that I have is that you can't back stitch to tie off your thread ends. Other than that, it makes it MUCH easier to stitch in the ditchor anything you are doing with all the layers together. You just use a wider stitch, and it goes through easily.I still pin the layers together, but not quite as many pins.

I ordered mine and am waiting (impatiently) for it to arrive. I am anxious to begin quilting some of my small pieces. I never heard of using the walking foot to sew on the binding. That I will have to try!

While we're on the subject--what does everyone who uses a walking foot do about the fact that you can't back stitch to tie the end of the stitching? I have just run a stitch or two in place, and that is ok, but not great. Any ideas?

I have sewn on the binding of one larger quilt with it, and it was easy.

Well, my friend told me to bring the bobbin thread to the top. When you are done, tie the two threads together, thread them on a needle and pop the knot under the top layer. Then you can bring the needle up an inch or so away and snip the threads. I hope this made sense.

I have a bernina 440 with a walking foot. It works great but it is a pain to put on. I just had to get used to it. I have to hold it at a certain angle to get it on.

mine came without directions so I guess it will sit in the drawer till I find out how to attach it lol oh I must have had a brain fart because I have 3 of them lol

It makes life so much easier when dealing with the quilt sandwich. I'd be going crazy if I didn't have one!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
    - The Creative Seamstress

I've got two Pfaffs so don't need a walking foot. Tee hee.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara
    Ok, I don't have a walking foot yet, so before I go out and buy one this week what do you think about them pros and cons.
    I'll be useing for straight line quilting.
    For me I don't even see how you can make a quilt without a walking foot, you will be 'sew' happy when you get one. Good luck.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast