Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Walking foot

Had mine for years and never used it until just a couple of months ago and now I wonder how I got along without it. I LOVE IT!

I have the Brother Hs2000, but this is where I got my walking foot and FMQ foot. They have a lot of Brothers parts. If you have an owners manual, it will give you the numbers to look for or you can find the manual online. I love mine! Both of them! DH got them for me for Christmas and I've been using them ever since.

http://sewingsupplywarehouse.com/14quiltfoot.html

Love mine. I use my walking foot for patchwork as well as quilting. The 1/4 seam is accurate and the piecing is better.

It's pretty important to have feed dogs (walking foot) on the top as well as the bottom when you are sewing through so many layers (quilt). That is, if you want it to feed evenly. It makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYearsOld
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    Fantastic-it is made to go over the thick quilt sandwich-the feel dogs and walking foot working together so the fabric won't pull. It is great for SID and gentle curves-not for FMQ. If you plan to do much machine quilting, it is a must!
    Ditto! Ditto! Ditto! And I always use it when sewing the binding on!
    It makes quilting work better, it works wonderfully on purses, keeps the fabric from slipping. Well, worth the investment.

Unscrew the nut on the left side of the foot and slip the walking foot on. replace the screw, make sure you put the little arm that looks like a horseshoe over the nut on the right side. Tighten the screw on the left and you are ready to sew. Hope that helps.

A must, especially for straight line. Eliminates pleats in your quilting.

Blog Entries
    I'm so dependant on my 1/4" foot that I haven't attempted to piece with my walking foot. I know I just need to figure it out and put some tape down, but I'm lazy. lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever
    mine came without directions so I guess it will sit in the drawer till I find out how to attach it lol oh I must have had a brain fart because I have 3 of them lol
    The directions I got were in a different language. I had to look up a picture online to figure it out.

A walking foot is a must if you sew on fleece at all. It's the only thing that keeps the fleece from moving around.
    I also use mine for putting on bindings.

Blog Entries
    I think it is well worth the investment...you will love it.

Blog Entries
    I hit the backstitch button on my machines - seems to do what I wanted it to do. Been using it over 10 years. My last Brother came with a walking foot but it fell apart soon after I started using it. I WOULD NOT BE WITHOUT A WF.

Blog Entries
    I used a generic one once on a customer's white quilt. Tiny specks of black came out of it. I am guessing it was some kind of lubricant. I called the company and they were no help. I ordered another from someone else. Same thing happened. This time I called the company and they were very apologetic but what could they do? One girl did try to offer some cleaning tips. It was a nightmare. I have never used one again and do just fine without it.

I also signed the petition to keep fabric in the stores or bring it back.

I started using my walking foot yesterday for my Baby Lock Ellure Plus. I absolutely love it! It does a wonderful job! My walking foot has a little fork looking thing that actually has to be placed on the needle screw before it is screwed into place.

I love, love, love my walking foot. Be sure you get instructions on how to put it on cause it is a little different... As many of you have mentioned, I even use it to put on binding, sew half square triangles - anything where the fabric may pull a little. I use it so much I sometimes forget I have it on!

I think you'll like it

I bought one for my old Necchi years ago from Nancy's Notions and broke on first try. I sent it back. I now have a Viking and bought one. It fits and it works and I really like it. Prevents tucks on the bottom/back when machine quilting straight lines. I wouldn't be without it. Gerry

Power Poster
    I love mine. You definately need one.

Wow, a lot of love going for the walking foot. :) I wouldn't be without mine either. I actually like it best for piecing. I would be lost without it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkotch
    I find my walking foot is essential. Keep it handy along with the screwdriver that came with my machine. I guess your success depends on the brand of sewing machine? I have two Vikings, one old (metal parts) and the other medium-aged. Both work well with the WF.
    I have a Viking 630, supposedly all metal parts. What model do you have? What a timely topic. My Viking is at the repair shop, getting cleaned, and on my list of things to buy that I gave the guy, was a walking foot. He made sure I was aware that it wouyld be a little over $100

The poor thing's been gone since Friday :(

I have one for all of my machines. I use for binding & for sewing layers together like SID. Feeds all layers at the same time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by colleenancel
    While we're on the subject--what does everyone who uses a walking foot do about the fact that you can't back stitch to tie the end of the stitching? I have just run a stitch or two in place, and that is ok, but not great. Any ideas?
    I have both a built in walking foot on one machine and an aftermarket on on the other. I backstitch with no problem with either one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
    Quote Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
    I use my walking foot for piecing as well. keeps them from puckering.
    Does anyone know of an attachment for the walking foot, like a guidebar to the side so you can do cross hatching without having to mark every line?
    My Janome after market walking foot has a groove in the back where you snap in the guide bar for crosshatching.

Blog Entries
    I think it is one of the best things invented for quilting and just sewing seams! :thumbup:

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast