Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart fabric, again. >

Walmart fabric, again.

Walmart fabric, again.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Well, if we keep on commenting and writing to them, it MIGHT make a difference.

The "celebrations" department does NOTHING for me.

On the other hand, I will probably save money because all the "other" local sources of fabric are quite a bit further away.

And at this stage of our lives, most of the other WalMart merchandise is "optional"
so I will boycott them as much as possible.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:32 AM

My closest Walmart no longer carries any fabric at all (since they remodeled) I'm sorry to say. They did carry some nice fabric. There's another Walmart maybe 20 or so miles from me .... I'll have to check to see if they have the Fabric of the Month quilt kits ..... I've never known that Walmarts carry that!! Good to know. :thumbup:
Old 05-14-2010, 10:15 AM

My boyfriend took me to Walmart recently cause I was so down in the dumps ,as my Mom just passed away May 2. He bought me a pair of new gym shoes and we found almost 11 yards of quality quilting fabric for $1 a yard. Which I was happy to receive, my grandchildren will get the quilts I was making for my mom, and the material will help set off the design, I just need to kick myself in the butt, as her death has really depressed me from doing much of anything, she was my life!! And I took care of her 24/7
Old 05-14-2010, 10:40 AM

We should unit and notify Wal Mart and do it that we will no longer shop their store for anything until they return the fabric.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:10 AM

Unfortunately I can't do that, thow I wished I could. about half of the can goods are about 20% less than the other stores in town.I buy most thing At Smith's grocery store. I would if I could.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:08 PM

I love the picture of the quilt. Do you have a pattern for it or sizes of stips and blocks? I realloy would like to know.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:11 PM

The last time I went to walmart I asked them why some of the walmart stores were closing their fabric lines and some not. The response I got was because someone has to stay in the fabric section at all times and they want all their employers to be able to go everywhere. So in turn it is financial as they would pay that particular person to stay in one area instead of being versitile.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:13 PM

If your Wal-Mart is remodeling then look for the fabric department to soon disappear.That is what they told me at our Wal-Mart Store.They start cutting back and then they get down to just what is in stock and when that is gone, then there will be no more fabric.They want all the stores to carry the same things and sense some have already closed their fabric dept. the rest will follow, in due time.Sad thing is who ever is managing al-Mart doesn't realise that the women in small towns are not going to be happy, after Wal-Mart moved in and ran off our dry good stores that handled the fabrics and such. Wal-Marts is really a killer for small towns.hey move in and cause all the dime stores, clothing stores, shoe stores and the om & pop stores to close Then they start cutting back on what they want to sell.The quality of our local Wal-Mart is not near as nice as it used to be.Clothing for large ladies has gone to 100% cotton and after a few washings, it's not fit to wear. I complained to te store and tey simply act like they don't care.So it's drive to the bigger cities,or do without.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Originally Posted by JoAnnGC

we have based our decision to reduce the stitching and fabric departments on customer demand, which does not appear to be as high today for a full stitching and fabric offering in some markets as it may have been at Walmart in the past.
The demand for cigarettes has reduced dramatically in every market and Walmart hasn't quit selling those. So don't give us that low market demand crock Walmart, tell us the truth. Fabric sales give WalMart not the upscale image they think they have.
What?? WalMart thinks they have an upscale image?
Old 05-14-2010, 01:32 PM

JoAnn,I too have been in touch with Wal-Marts main offices. All you ever get is run around about customer demand is down. Alot of the problems, to do with customer demand, is Wal-Mart has cut their quality of fabrics.Plus some of the ones in control are strictly city people and they don't realise just how many women do still sew.Besides most of these decisions are made by men.The young ones have changed so much since Sam Walton died and it hasn't been for the best.Sam was a country man and understood what country people wanted.That is why he refused to buy so much forgein imports. Most of the Wal-Mart stores are hurting and that's because they got to involved with the Sam type stores. They fail to realise these are 2 differant type store and shouls be ran differantly.