Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart fabric >

Walmart fabric

Walmart fabric

Old 07-01-2011, 04:01 AM

Found the clearance on the pre-cut fabric and brought some home to try.
The 100 percent cotton came out of the wash fine.
Have to iron before cutting but this isn't unusual.
The colors held good.
I'm pleased with my WalMart find
In fact I need some more colors
Old 07-01-2011, 04:17 AM

Why would people use WALMART FABRIC?-I have no problem using it ! You may get an exspensive outdated fabric, or maybe it looks like cheesecloth,- don't buy what is subpar! If you ask a kid in a hospital, a shelter, or a soldier on a ward, or a chemo patient,--would you perfer 1 LQS quilt or would you mind Walmart fabrics, so I could make 3 quilts instead, for others here?Yes its good to like high quality fabrics, BUT WALMART fabrics are also fine, for many things!- My Debbie Mumm fabrics, are for me,& they came from there, at a very good price! I personally can't wait for our reset in AUGUST! I hope I haven't spent all my money on the precut clearance, so I can buy some of the NEW!! LOL!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 04:17 AM

From Harrisonburg, VA: one Walmart eliminated the fabric department. A lot of Old Order Mennonites lost out on buying fabric there. Don't know if the fabric dept. will return.
Another Walmart where I shop minimized the fabric department so Electronics could be enlarged!
Now, for sure, come Sept. will be remodeled in some areas bringing back a much larger fabric dept.!
I'm glad Walmart listened to our protests! The old "squeaky wheel" theory wins again!
Old 07-01-2011, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

Good news
Old 07-01-2011, 05:04 AM

I live in southern Ohio. Our Wal Mart eliminated fabrics a while ago. I notice recently that they are putting it back. YEAH! SOme of the fabric is pretty cheap, low quality. But some of it is really nice. Looks like mostly good quality fabric to me. My biggest complaint with Wal Mart fabric has always been finding someone to cut it for me. I will buy from there. Money is tight and I will check the quality but will buy where I can afford.
The local JoAnns is moving and is having a going out of business sale. Going today to see what their discount is. WHen another JaAnns closed I was there the day before it closed and got lots of embroidery thread and some fabric at 90% off.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:20 AM

I was at out Walmart's yesterday, and saw they were putting our fabric department back. I was so excited.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:37 AM
nab

I worked at the West-End Wal-Mart here in Billings, MT for 7 years. I worked in the fabric department. While I was there our department make 1 million dollars a year on fabric sales. I never figured out why they wanted to cut the departments down or do away with them altogether. They did not remove this stores fabric, but they sure cut it down is size. I'm so glad they have finally come to their senses.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:43 AM

My Wally never lost their fabric but have remodeled the store and moved it to another location nearer the groceries, pet supplies and candy. How lucky can I get? I have to use an electric cart so it does save time. Now if they'd only move the garden shop.........
Old 07-01-2011, 05:52 AM

I've been in several Wal-Marts that are getting bolt fabrics. When I first started quilting I was a fabric snob. It was LQS all the way. As time (years) passed and I know a little more about fabric, I buy fabric from Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's etc but only after feeling it, holding it up to the light etc to make sure it is decent fabric. If I were making an heirloom quilt would I use these fabrics? Probably not, but I'm not making heirloom quilts. I'm making quilts to be used and loved.

mltquilt
Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 AM

Lucky you! Apparently our Walmarts in Canada will NOT be bringing back the bolts of fabric - only precuts.